Always feeling weak/fatigued

hmmmmm

The Secret, I know of, from the book when it came out it was all the rager

EFT... ummm electronic fund transfers?? I have no clue!

Tahitian Noni Juice, good stuff. Though I prefer Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice, personally. It has a lot of melatonin, which helps to regulate sleep cycles and I enjoy the taste of it.

So, I also say wha? .... to the EFT comment,

Noni helps regulate sleep cycles too

EFT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRY3UtTHvo

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 months since i started this thread, and about 5 months of what I consider being really focused on training, eating, sleeping, etc.. I was lifting for a couple years prior, but it was always off, and on. I would get discouraged after a few months of not seeing results, and give it up. I feel like about to hit that wall again.

I read up a lot more over the past couple months, and applied the advice I was given by people on this forum. But, Im still in the same boat. Feeling run down, and weak.

Im working out harder than I ever have. Eating clean, and eating lots. Yet I still feel Im unchanged. I think the only thing expanding is my waist. Its probably not, but every time I see myself all I can focus on is how bloated, and dumpy I look/feel.

That is all - just had to get that out there. Now someone smack me around, and get me off this downer.

I've been getting a nice energy boost from the herbs Rhodiola and Ashwagandha lately (Google if this interests you). I take Rhodiola in the morning or during the day, and Ashwagandha at night.

They're both pretty innocuous adaptogens, no toxicity. Seem to have an energizing, anti-deppressive effect, and are supposed to be good for athletic endurance and stress-busting.

Unfortunately, without checking you out physically it's difficult to give meaningful advice. There are hundreds of things that could cause lack of energy and without doing a full examination we could send you in the wrong direction.

If you are eating well, sleeping well and taking enough vitamins/minerals/omega fatty acids then it might be time to see a health practitioner. I hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

why everybody say it's not enough food? I find you eat pretty much. Look what I ate today (but I'm on diet) and I felt great all day long eventhough I ran 15km this morning:

10:00am: 1 pink grapefruit

10:15 : 1 apple

10:45: 1 kiwi

11:00 a.m: ran 15 km

12:30 p.m : 1 pear

1 p.m: salad (lettuce, clovers and quinoa sprouts, whole corn kernels...)

3:45 p.m: 1 apple

7 p.m: 1 pear, 1 almond Equibar, 1 Arthur's fruit smoothie

10p.m: grapes, and I'll have soon some spicy tofu (masala, jalapeno, spinach)

When I eat NOTHING sometimes I feel even better. When I eat a lot too. I don't think quantity is so important, but quality. What's good is variety : don't eat the same food all day or the samethings everyday, don't eat always the same amount of calories.

The only times I feel weak is after more than 4 days on a low calorie diet, sometimes only after 7 days. Then I just need to eat more for one day.

Edited by I'm Your Man

Total garbage day of eating today:

7:30am

1 cup of nature's path optimum slim with raisins

yerba mate green tea

200+ calories

9g protein

???am

Banana

probably around 120 calories ?

12:30

Organic food bar - vegan

300 calories

14g of protein

4:00pm

1/2 cup of oatmeal with raisins

3/4 cup of nature's path optimum slim

around 400 calories

14g of protein

6:40pm - ???

squats and deadlifts

postworkout smoothie

gemma with frozen fruit

120 calories?

15g protein

around 9pm - i was feelin shaky

handful of prunes

handful of nature's path

200 calories?

protein - insignificant

calories: 1340

protein: 52

Wow, that was way worse than I thought. I really need to stop buying cereal. I always intend it to be a quick meal if I can't make oatmeal before work. But, i end up eating loads of it in a day. I've just been burned out from cooking big meals everyday.

I thought you were gonna start adding more healthy fats to your diets.

You really should listen to the people who say you're undereating. Excuse me for asking, but your a guy right?

1300 calories and a workout days is WAAAAAAAAAAY too few calories for most males. Your body is trying to tell you this because you get weak and shaky when you don't eat.

A 2nd thing I have gathered from some of your posts, is that you think you are overeating or can't stop eating when in fact, its not a whole lot of food. For example, look at this post:

Im an idiot. All I had all day at work was a clif bar. So, I came home pretty hungry. Ate the following:

about 2 servings of Natures Path Optimum Slim with raisin

1 piece of sprouted bread with almond butter

about 2 servings of kashi crackers with hummus

Probably more stuff Im forgetting about. Thats carb madness. Punch me.

ANYONE would have eaten that same amount of food if not alot more if all they ate the entire day was 1 bar.

I still think you are really undereating and the days you think you are overeating are the days when your much closer to what your body needs. I'm trying to remember if your the one that said you had an eating disorder in the past. Am I way off base here? I really like to analyze some of the posts and it seems that you don't eat enough and that your a bit afraid of food...

I really think you should check out "The Thrive Diet," the follow-up to "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier. I know it gets mentioned a lot around this forum, but it's for good reason. The book will teach you how to properly fuel your body so you have the energy to workout (and live happily) without gaining fat.

I thought you were gonna start adding more healthy fats to your diets.

You really should listen to the people who say you're undereating. Excuse me for asking, but your a guy right?

Yes, Im a guy. I throw almonds into my meals here, and there. I also eat an almond/peanut butter sandwich almost everyday.

1300 calories and a workout days is WAAAAAAAAAAY too few calories for most males. Your body is trying to tell you this because you get weak and shaky when you don't eat.

A 2nd thing I have gathered from some of your posts, is that you think you are overeating or can't stop eating when in fact, its not a whole lot of food. For example, look at this post:

Im an idiot. All I had all day at work was a clif bar. So, I came home pretty hungry. Ate the following:

about 2 servings of Natures Path Optimum Slim with raisin

1 piece of sprouted bread with almond butter

about 2 servings of kashi crackers with hummus

Probably more stuff Im forgetting about. Thats carb madness. Punch me.

ANYONE would have eaten that same amount of food if not alot more if all they ate the entire day was 1 bar.

I still think you are really undereating and the days you think you are overeating are the days when your much closer to what your body needs. I'm trying to remember if your the one that said you had an eating disorder in the past. Am I way off base here? I really like to analyze some of the posts and it seems that you don't eat enough and that your a bit afraid of food...

You're definitely on point with that. And, yes I do think I have a major fear of food. I love it, but im afraid to over do it. It has to do with my build. Im only 5' 9" and around 120lbs. My concern is that with such a small frame I won't be able to turn all that food into lean mass.

(...) yes I do think I have a major fear of food. I love it, but im afraid to over do it. It has to do with my build. Im only 5' 9" and around 120lbs. My concern is that with such a small frame I won't be able to turn all that food into lean mass.

It's a form of stress. I was like that before, stressing about food - always thinking about food, about eating or not eating and what to eat and how much, calories, etc. Learn everything about calories, good and bad food, nutrients, etc, then forget everything and just use your instinct. I had to learn about eating well - lots of fresh fruits - to finally have a good relation with food. Now I love everything I eat, and the stress about food only comes back sometimes if I eat lots of acidic food instead of alcaline, or junk stuff like a whole bag of chips. I'm thinking about all the saturated fats, my PH etc...

But the main reason I was always obsessed by food was because I was obsessed with my weight, I always found I had too much bodyfat, even if it was only the perception of myself that was wrong.

120ls at 5'9"...You must be very skinny? I would suggest you to try to eat how much you want, whatever you want and whenever you want.

stressing about food - always thinking about food, about eating or not eating and what to eat and how much, calories, etc.

I spend probably 85% of my day in this mindset. It's awful. Im constantly stressing - like you said - over what, and when I should eat next.

Maybe you should try eating every two hours. It will give you the fuel you need to not be so tired, and it will keep your metabolism going throughout the day so you're constantly burning fat/calories and feeding your muscles. It would be one of the biggest favors you could do for yourself.

Not to preach or anything ('cuz I hate when people do that), but if you don't eat much all day, you're body thinks it's starving and hangs on to fat. This could make a person "skinny-fat," small but flabby and with no muscle.

Maybe you should try eating every two hours. It will give you the fuel you need to not be so tired, and it will keep your metabolism going throughout the day so you're constantly burning fat/calories and feeding your muscles. It would be one of the biggest favors you could do for yourself.

Not to preach or anything ('cuz I hate when people do that), but if you don't eat much all day, you're body thinks it's starving and hangs on to fat. This could make a person "skinny-fat," small but flabby and with no muscle.

I try to eat every 2 - 3 hours, and drink loads of water. Im having a hard time keeping a balance between the two. If I drink the suggested amount of water in a day I feel blown up, and can't eat. There's been days when Im at work and have consumed 2 liters of water, and eaten maybe a peanut butter sandwich.

Also, I've read that consuming too much liquid when eating is bad for digestion. Everything becomes so overwhelming - so fast. I feel like a broken robot.

My main problem is work. I spent half my day there. And I've realized I don't take nearly enough food. I don't know what makes me think a banana, and a salad. Or fruit, and an almond butter sandwich is gonna last me all day. I NEED to pack more food to take there. Because if I don't theres absolutely nothing around. Here's what im taking tomorrow:

I made a black bean burrito, with brown rice and spinach.

banana

raisins, prunes, almond slivers

and probably a smoothie cause Im running low on food.

I love to cook, but lately im finding it rather exhausting. What are you guys and girls taking to work?

I could eat 1320 calories and 52 Grams of protein in one meal. And I believe I have done that before. The key to being healthy is to eat until you are full. And eat often. Some people say it's best to eat 6 small meals a day. But I don't think that's enough for body builders. I want to start eating 3 huge meals per day( Each meal being twice as big as the average american ) and two mini meals in between( About half an average mans meal ) Toss in plenty of water( at least 6 cups but why not just drink water whenever your thirsty it's the best thing ) and for desert( which isn't technically a meal ) make something healthy. Like homemade soy ice cream flavored with fruit.

you can have delicious food without it being crap for you. You just need to learn how to eat alot and eat often. I understand if money is an obstacle( It certainly is one for me ) but as soon as you have a good and reliable source of income flowing in the very first thing you should be buying is food. I'm future budgeting my money when I get my job and I will be paying 100 bucks per week on food( And if I eventually make more I'll double or even tripple that.

Good luck. And remember. Those who don't eat properly cannot think properly.

I try to eat every 2 - 3 hours, and drink loads of water. Im having a hard time keeping a balance between the two. If I drink the suggested amount of water in a day I feel blown up, and can't eat. There's been days when Im at work and have consumed 2 liters of water, and eaten maybe a peanut butter sandwich.

Also, I've read that consuming too much liquid when eating is bad for digestion. Everything becomes so overwhelming - so fast. I feel like a broken robot.

My main problem is work. I spent half my day there. And I've realized I don't take nearly enough food. I don't know what makes me think a banana, and a salad. Or fruit, and an almond butter sandwich is gonna last me all day. I NEED to pack more food to take there. Because if I don't theres absolutely nothing around. Here's what im taking tomorrow:

I made a black bean burrito, with brown rice and spinach.

banana

raisins, prunes, almond slivers

and probably a smoothie cause Im running low on food.

I love to cook, but lately im finding it rather exhausting. What are you guys and girls taking to work?

Well, my friend, it looks like you're just going to have to quit your job. Just kidding . I think what you plan on taking tomorrow is great! Just spread it out through the day, so you aren't tired after lunch and starving by 4p. What I like to do is have a box of Clif bars in my area, so I can always have something to eat if I don't bring enough food. (You're better off with whole food, but Clif bars are better than nothing.) Some convenient snacks I like to bring along are tahini and jelly sandwiches, fruit, leftovers from last night's dinner,etc.. It may help to set a schedule, too. For me, I get to work at about 9:30am and leave at around 5:30pm, so I eat at 10a, 12p, 2p, and 4p. As far the amount goes, it shouldn't make you feel stuffed and bloated, just full enough to make it the next two hours. One sandwich, or perhaps one or two pieces of fruit should do it. You may not even need that much as long as you get full. The way I see it, smokers get smoke breaks; why can't you have snack breaks? If your boss gives you any trouble, just tell him/her you're hypoglycemic, even if you aren't . I actually cured my hypoglycemia when I was younger by switching to this type of eating schedule. Good luck. I think you are on the right track .

5-9 and 120 pounds is a BMI of 17.7 ... EAT!

friendly suggestion, I know it can be a difficult issue

I saw a chart that at my phsycian's recently that said the same thing. Isn't 17.7 high?

17.7 is underweight according to the World Health Organization.

http://www.bodyshapingtips.com/images/BMI-Chart.png

More information about Body Mass Index:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

It should be noted that BMI isn't usually the best way to determine healthy weight for those with a lot of muscle -- body builders would tend to score in the overweight or obese category simply because they weigh more, and BMI doesn't take into account whether your weight is from muscle, or excess fat.

And it is possible to be 'underweight' and healthy, if you're genetically very slim you might naturally be in that lower range. My husband is tall and lean, 6-4 and has a BMI of around 17 to 18.

Yeh man, I agree with the consensus; I would want to add some calories to your intake.

I know this also is not the best way to assess the body but I remember hearing somewhere that the average female body could be gauged by this scale

5'0" = 100lbs

for every inch taller they are, you can add 5 lbs.

Obviously it is not accurate because some women have larger frames some smaller some have a decent amount of lbm but it isn't way off. If you use this calculator for your body (and you are a male),

5'9" = 145lbs

Again, i'm not attempting to pass this off as fact or something reliable to work of off but it can give you an idea to see where you are in comparison.

I actually just googled this to see if it was just something someone sold to me as their opinion or if others had heard of it.

I found this answer A Yahoo Answer on Avg Weight

It seems like the average man is 7lbs for every inch above 5'0".

Average 5'9" male = 163lbs

Once again, just an idea, some men are larger others smaller. But you can def stand to not fear gaining a little weight and lbm needs fuel (calories) to repair and grow.

just a thought.....

I had a similar problem this week. I packed all my meals and took them to work with me. By Wednesday morning, I didn't know if I was going to throw up or pass out while doing cardio. I felt so weak and wobbly. I checked out my food journal and realised I was only getting about 1000 calories a day and that was probably an overestimation. I felt full because I was eating all the time but I wasn't getting enough calories since I was eating so clean. Wednesday night, I went home and made a big bowl of soba noodles with veggies and tofu and felt a million times better!

It's hard to eat well if you don't plan for it. Buy a cooler and pack it up before leaving the house. I often bring 10 different tupperware type containers to work each day and sometimes, I pack too much but at least a healthy option is there when I need it.

I know it's not easy to find the time to prepare your food in advance but leave a box of cereal at work and some soy milk or whatever you put in it. Planning and preparation require time but are totally worth it!

Good luck getting your food intake up! I know it's not easy when you already feel full but if you can, try to get the food in first, and drink the water in between. I think, at this point, the food is more important.

L&G that formula seems pretty accurate to me. I'm like 5'6, and I think 130 would be just about perfect for me. Even with my gaining muscle I think it's a reasonable goal.

I also find that sometime even though I'm eating consistently I don't get enough calories. And some days I end up missing meals because I'm never at home to prepare food. This is why I think I would probably benefit greatly by using a meal replacement like Vega, or even just a protein powder. They're easy to make, I can store it in the fridge at work, and the container isn't that big to tote around. Right now I have to take the bus, which isn't a big deal, and I don't have to worry about having to help pay for gas. I end up being out of the house/apartment like 10-12 hours a day. I only work a 6 hour day, but by the time I get dropped off at 10 am, get off work, walk to the gym, and finally get the bus back to my neck of the woods it's close to 8pm. By this time all I want to do is crash. The last thing I want to do is prepare my meals for the next day, it's all I can do to get something for dinner.

L&G that formula seems pretty accurate to me. I'm like 5'6, and I think 130 would be just about perfect for me. Even with my gaining muscle I think it's a reasonable goal.

Hayley, I'm 5-6 too, and that's my goal. I want to lose around 6# of fat, and I'll be there.

Im just catching up on all these responses - I really appreciate it. I've been out of commission for what seems like ages.

I went out to eat on saturday night, and shortly after experienced simultaneous diarrhea, vomitting, and horrible cramps. This is by far the sickest I've ever felt in my life.

Today is the first I've been out of bed since then. My stomach is still kinda sloshy but I think Im finally coming around. Food poisoning is no joke - that was brutal.