Clif Bars, Odwalla Bars, Bars in general

I couple years ago I got 1440 builder bars off of ebay. Ate about 4 a day for a year or so. Maybe longer. Towards the end I started to get sick of them, felt like they were doing weird stuff to my energy levels (sugar effects maybe?). In moderation they're probably fine though.

-Aaron

I couple years ago I got 1440 builder bars off of ebay. Ate about 4 a day for a year or so. Maybe longer. Towards the end I started to get sick of them, felt like they were doing weird stuff to my energy levels (sugar effects maybe?). In moderation they're probably fine though.

-Aaron

Whoa, thats pretty excessive. Im more concerned with the calories, and saturated fat they contain.

http://mysite.verizon.net/etiolate/builderbar.gif

Aren't those numbers a bit high?

Fat is needed for hormones....that should be a concern for anyone looking to build muscle. Just as important as protein in my book.

My diet is greatly lacking some good fats. Peanut butter is probably my only source. I think Im afraid I'll turn into a lard ass. The lack of fat is probably contributing to my fatigue, and lack of energy.

Edited by threeloaves

Aaron! 1440 Builder bars?? That's just... amazing. I would've liked to see that mighty stash.

I love Clif bars, Builder bars, Vega bars, and most of the other vegan food bars, but try not to eat them every day or more than one a day. (Yesterday was an exception - I was working somewhere for 8 hrs and that was the only practical thing to take along on short notice, so I ate two or three.) They do seem to dehydrate me if I eat too many.

They are great to carry around in my purse or backpack since they don't spoil or bruise like bananas do. I almost always have one with me in case I get hungry and the only vegan food around is total junk food. When I do get the urge for junk food, the chocolatey/chewy bars satisfy the craving nicely without being completely unhealthy.

I think they're very useful if your on the go for vegans that can't get small snacks like that everywhere. For cycling all these bars are great for energy as well. As a food source in replacement as a meal though...I'd say no way.

I got a sick deal on them that made them about $.27 a piece. Maybe cheaper. 12 bars per box, 12 boxes per case, 12 cases. I sold a case to my little bro and a couple boxes to a buddy and gave half a case or so out on the streets in my daily travels. The UPS guy was kind of impressed by the load and my roommate and I had to cut the cases apart to move the boxes upstairs to our place.

But I was working a ton, poor, on the go a lot, and at the gym a lot (it's where I worked).

It wasn't great for me, but it saw me through and my body wasn't looking bad because of it.

Fat is needed for hormones....that should be a concern for anyone looking to build muscle. Just as important as protein in my book.

My diet is greatly lacking some good fats. Peanut butter is probably my only source. I think Im afraid I'll turn into a lard ass. The lack of fat is probably contributing to my fatigue, and lack of energy.

Try to get in 1 dose of fat per meal. It will HELP you lose fat.

Aim for no more than about 14 grams per meal though. Good portions of fat at your meals that would HELP YOU, not hurt you are 1 Tbsp Flax or Olive Oil, 2 oz. Avocado, 1 1/2 Tbsp Peanut butter, 14 Almonds, etc.

If you're concerned about getting too much, just measure it out. This might might definitely help with some of your fatigue. Avoiding fat is very old information. Healthy fats are necessary for fat loss, energy and overall good health

I try to mostly make any bars I eat for myself. Generally if I want something on the go, I will make some kind of bean patty to pack away. I am fortunate to be able to at least stop by my apartment several times throughout the day, so I don't have to worry about being too far from healthy food. For someone who is on the go all the time, I think it is fine to eat some bars.

Clif bars wreak havok on my energy levels!!! Just makes it drop off the earth. PLus all the crap thats in them doesnt make me feel good afterwards. I like Odwalla bars but wouldnt just eat them to skip food.

That's more or less how I feel about them. I thought I'd give them another chance (haven't had one in well over a year), and just had a mint chocolate builder bar. It was pretty damn good, but I kinda feel like crap now. Should have made a tempeh wrap instead.

What you guys think about the organic food bars?

I tried some and I think they are one of the best tasting around, also no dodgy ingredients and the protein ones have 24g protein for a 70g bar.

Haven't seen anyone mention them so..

I always want to pick some of these up, but they're kind of expensive. In my opinion at least. If I have to pay more than 2 dollars for a bar I feel like I should just make a meal. But, if time is a constraint then maybe these are a good alternative.

Protein

Nutrition Facts

Serving size: one bar (68g)

Amount/serving % DV*

Total Fat 13g 20%

Saturated fat 1.6g 8%

Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%

Total Dietary Fiber 9g 36%

Trans Fatty Acids 0g

Sugars 22g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Protein 22g

Sodium 5mg 1%

Calories 330

Fat Calories 117

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0% • Calcium 11% • Iron 11%

* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet

80% Raw

22g Organic Protein

9g Dietary Fiber

Alkaline Forming

No Soy, No Whey

Non-GMO

No Trans Fats

No Refined Sugars

No Dairy

2000 mg. Phytonutrient Rich Organic BioSproutsTM

Healthy Lunch Alternative

Builder Bar

http://mysite.verizon.net/etiolate/builderbar.gif

They have more calories, and fat than builder bars. But, more protein, fiber, and what seems like better ingredients. Wots da word?

Yeah they are not cheap, but on veganessentials they are a little cheaper as vega bars and a little heavier.

Also I get them from germany and for me it's about the same price as getting cliff bars from the US. I can actually buy them over here to but it's cheaper ordering from germany.

I just ordered a couple of boxes:)

so, just looking around, Clif Bars on ebay can be had for pretty cheap, 96 bars for ~$30.

The downside is that they are past their "Best-Buy" date.

Most of the auctions ending soon have a best-buy date of June 2007.

Would a person keel over if they ate some bars that were that far past the best buy date?

so, just looking around, Clif Bars on ebay can be had for pretty cheap, 96 bars for ~$30.

Would a person keel over if they ate some bars that were that far past the best buy date?

I would've died long ago if that was the case.

That was supposed to be a bit sarcastic.

But really, how is the taste on these that far out? any effect?

That was supposed to be a bit sarcastic.

But really, how is the taste on these that far out? any effect?

They get dry. Otherwise they seemed about the same.

What you guys think about the organic food bars?

I tried some and I think they are one of the best tasting around, also no dodgy ingredients and the protein ones have 24g protein for a 70g bar.

Haven't seen anyone mention them so..

I love the "Active Greens Organic Food Bar"... great product. Some of the bars are labeled "Vegan"... the flavors that are Vegan are:

Active Greens

Wild Blueberry

Cranberry

Omega 3 Flax

Protein (which might I add tastes like chalk!)

and a bar that is named, none other than...

Vegan.

The Whole Foods Market near me sells them for $2.00 a piece.

I had my first Vega Bar the other day and that was really good too. My two staple bars are now Active Greens Organic Food Bars and Vega Bars. I can hack the taste of the Protein Organic Food Bar its just not a pleasant experience. What they need is an Active Greens Protein Organic Food Bar...