workout music

small unknown hardcore punk bands are what i usually listen to. topher and michael have been subjected to it, they know what i mean!!

five knuckle

anti maniax

redlightsflash

no comply

adequate 7

link 80

capdown

sick of it all - about the only band anyone here has probably heard of! lol!

and bands like that!

jonathan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some arsehole at my gym insists on playing middle of the road 70s rock...it's snooze material. and one of the girls wo works there is all about "ambient" house music which annoys me somewhat too

In the gym I used to go to, they had like 3 CDs. One was Bon Jovi. One was some kind of 90's dance CD, and one was some kind of rock compilation. The rock compilation wasn't all bad, but the other stuff annoyed the piss out of me. Sometimes they would just let the TVs through the speakers, and it'd be like VH1 or MTV whatever, which was just as bad. There was one time that Biohazard was on the TV, but they didn't have the speakers on. I was so frustrated that a turd came out of my ass.

Will, oops - cannot believe i missed that link. but yea, now I read it and all i can say is....

damn I got goosebumps.

C'mon people, you know that Rocky Balboa is classic.

I really like Stallone's new reality tv show the Contender. If they ever have a female version of that, I am in as one of the 'contenders'. I am always up for some ass kicking in my pleather Xena outfit.

THANKS for the link!!

P.S. Can you believe Stallone is almost 60!!! DAMN he looks smokin for his age.

Now he's going to make Rambo IV too --- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051029/ap_en_mo/people_sylvester_stallone

Will, oops - cannot believe i missed that link. but yea, now I read it and all i can say is....

damn I got goosebumps.

C'mon people, you know that Rocky Balboa is classic.

I really like Stallone's new reality tv show the Contender. If they ever have a female version of that, I am in as one of the 'contenders'. I am always up for some ass kicking in my pleather Xena outfit.

THANKS for the link!!

P.S. Can you believe Stallone is almost 60!!! DAMN he looks smokin for his age.

I am in Stallone heaven right now....

Now he's going to make Rambo IV too --- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051029/ap_en_mo/people_sylvester_stallone

LOTS of Danzig. as well as Madball, Cro Mags, Judge, Sick Of It All, Inside Out, Killing Time. those have been in heavy rotation for the past few months at the gym. angry stuff that gets you pumped to keep going

Hell yeah dude... Judge has to be one of my fav bands.

• 2 weeks later...

Hitting the weights is like a mental enema for me so I need the aggressive stuff. Front line assembly, Elecro synthetic rebellion or aggressive hip-hop like onyx. Einstuerzende Neubauten can be good sometimes too.

Almost forgot. A guy at my job plays in a band called silverbullit (citizen bird in the US). Great workout music!

I actually have a list of what is on my gym Mp3 player:

Fountains of Wayne

The Arcade Fire

Bright Eyes

Clem Snide

The Avalanches

DJ Shadow

Broken Social Scene

Elliot Smith

Mogwai

Godspeed You Black Emporer

The Postal Service

The Weakerthans

Death Cab for Cutie

The Flaming Lips

Mylo

Coldplay

Nick Drake

Pedro The Lion

Sigur Ros

The Sugarcubes

Ben Folds

Weezer

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

first post y'all! I listen to a wide variety of music when i work:

ace of base- the b 52s- beck- billy idol- black eye peas- bright eyes- cake- ciara- clipse- cold play- common- courtney love- fabolous- foo fighters- the fugees- garbage- gorillaz- gwen stefani- hootie and the blowfish- incubus- jack johnson- janet jackson- jayz- jermaine dupri- kanye west- lauryn hill- ll cool j- madonna- mariah carey- nerd- n.o.r.e.- nelly- no doubt- ok go- pharrell- the postal service- prince- red hot chili peppers- t.i.- U2- weezer- the white stripes- and thats all folks (at least the ones im not ashamed to mention)

• 2 weeks later...

Depends.... for cardio I prefer fast groovy metal or hardcore, speed metal, thrash, etc. Old Megadeth or Exodus works great. Maybe Accept or faster Judas Priest songs. If its something stationary like treadmills or such, then it has to be complex enough to keep me away from boredom. Maybe old Fates Warning or Cynic. For weight lifing I usually prefer heavier stuff. Death metal or grindcore. Nothing gets the testosterone going like growling vocals on top of blast beats and double kick drums. It really gets me all worked up. After the gym, some minor key classical music works nice to cool down.

Lately, I found instructional tapes work nice on the treamill too to keep the boredom away. Learning Japanese while burning fat is a nice use of ones time.

Is hardcore just heavy metal which has poor production and recording?

After the first wave of punk in the late seventies (Sex Pistols, Clash. the Damned, etc), a lot of bands identifying with the genre started producing music that was more accesible. Some of it was labeled "New Wave", and was heavily pushed by the music industry as a marketable version of punk. Sort of like what is going on nowadays with pop-punk bands. A 'lite' version of the real deal. This triggered a counter reaction, giving birth to a culture that took the punk notion even further to distinguish themselves from the commercial variants. They called themselves 'Hardcore' to signify their intensity compared to the soft punk that was happening at the time. A lot of those bands were from suburban USA, and many of them were political. There was a huge underground scene of labels, zines and promoters, seperate from the above ground music industry. Some notable bands are the Dead Kennedies, Minor Threat. Black Flag, MDC, Circle Jerks, Bad Brains. This was the golden age of hardcore. The scene spread across the globe and a lot of important bands were coming from Europe, like Discharge from the UK. A lot of those bands were beginning to be influenced by metal, which was also going through a process of evolving into reactionary genres to the hair metal commercial variants. At this point, extreme metal bands were influenced by punk, and influencing it back. You had the whole crossover movement, which took influences from both genres to varying degrees. Like D.R.I., Excel and Suicidal Tendencies. So although hardcore refers to a descendent of punk rock, the metal influence is very noticable with todays bands. In fact, a sub genre of hardcore is metalcore, which emphasizes the metal influences.

For vegans who are curious about hardcore music, a good starting point is Earth Crisis (they have a vegan straightedge message, and a very metallic sound). Also try some early CroMags (classic NY hardcore, with thrash influences and Hare Krishna-ish vegetarian message) . I listen mostly to the classic bands, but there are a few newer guys out there that are good.

Last note, be aware that the term hardcore is often used in the music industry to refer to a subgenre of fast dance music. I personally can't stand music based on synthtic beeps and bleeps, so when I hear someone saying they listen to hardcore and then they play their beep beep beep music I get very hostile and reprimanding.

Sorry for the huge response. I'm really passionate about aggressive music. It seems there are a few people here who know their metal. Most excellent.

kollision: missed Exhumed in Toronto when they played recently. The little I heard from them was good. Like old Carcass worship.

I used to think hardcore was punk. But someone played me some stuff that they said was hardcore and it was basically slipknot, although they wouldn't accept it because they don't like slipknot. So it left me confused as usual, because it was basically heavy metal, the only difference was the production which was very poor.

EDIT: same style drumming, same kinda style vocals (shouting and stuff, kind of like sepultura a bit, not punk-like at all), same chord structures, heavy metal guitar sound, not punk guitar sound... it was heavy it wasn't punk. So wassapwiddat? I think people don't even agree amongst themselves about what to call the music they like. I tend to stick to very very simple groups...

Rock - Has guitars in it as one of the main focuses (oasis, blur, nickelback...)

Metal - Is heavy rock (pantera, metallica, slayer...)

Punk - Is like rock, but kind of fast paced, screamy/whiny voice style (Sex Pistols...)

Modern Punk - Is like rock, but has pretty rigid rhythm and chord structures which defines it (blink 182, sum41...)

I generally don't talk about rock in any other terms, I can't be bothered with it :P the other descriptions just confuse people and they don't agree about it

Richard: It depends on how involved you are with the subject. To use a cullinary analogy, an omnivore eating some soy products may categorize a lot of things as 'soy meat substitute". But a vegan who eats a lot of that stuff may refer to said items as individual categories. They may dislike processed soy mock meats, but love Tempeh or raw tofu blocks. I breath, eat and s%$t metal, so I tend to be very specific. But if for your purposes these four categories suffice, then more power to ya. But when you discuss these issues with other people, make sure you guys are on the same page. The bands you mentioned as modern punk are really pop-punk. These are boy bands wrapped up in punk aesthetic for marketing.

You can find a list of genres of metal here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_genres

It's not uncommon for fans of some genres to be outright hostile to other particular genres. Most brutal death metal fans can't stand melodic power metal, for example.

kollision: I'm a hard music nerd. over 500 vinyl records, and a smaller CD and MP3 collection, and quite a few music theory, history and sociology books. Can you say obsessive?

If you like Exhumed's gore-metal, but crave some angry vegan content to go with it, check out Cattle Decapitation.

Check their site at http://www.cattledecapitation.com/

They also have those crazy low end inhuman gurgling vocals and blasting drums, but all band members are all vegans or vegetarians, and these guys support PETA. They have songs about animals mauling humans, against the meat industry and human overpopulation. Their stuff manages to be thought provoking and ing at the same time, which is great.

About the Pistols... they had a song against the monarchy called God Save The Queen, which was very offensive for its time and quite controversial. They got huge in the UK, and got to the top of the music charts, but the press and radio stations wouldnt cover them. So they made a statement by renting a boat, and sailing along the thames river while playing "God save the queen" in front of the royal palace. Nowadays one of them is dead, and the rest are rich bastards with masions and swimming pools. But what they started gave birth to a lot of bands who haven't sold out their rebellion.