Hello!

Kero

I´ve been lurking here for a while and thought that I would introduce myself, my name is Emilia and I´m 27 years old, I´m a writer and have been a vegan for ten years now.

I first went vegetarian when I was 7 years old when I found out that I ate animals, but I didn´t stay with my plan for very long. The second time I gave up meat was when I was I working at a animal shelter and we had a fundraising event where they were showing some footage from slaughters etc. once again I made the clear connection between the things I ate and animals.

The reason why I wanted to register here was that I like the atmosphere here, this forum seems to be lacking a lot of the negativity I see in other forums, and also because I want to see how people, whom are training and getting results, are eating.

Welcome Emilia, yes I think you are correct in observing the tone of this forum. I have found the people here to be very supportive, instructional and friendly. Welcome to the boards, I look forward to learning more about you!

Palms Together,

jonzen

I think it's awesome that you were interested in veganism at such young ages (7 and 17) and have been able to maintain your compassionate eating habits for 10 years. I come from a family of big-time meat eaters, and even when I was a kid there seemed to be something weird about eating animals. It seems odd to pet and hand-feed a pig at the petting zoo and then eat bacon the next morning. Most people obviously wouldn't eat the family dog or cat, but it seems perfectly normal for them to eat another living being with just as much personality and feelings, simply because they never met it while it was living. Sorry about the rant, but your intro showed that in many ways kids have an inherent wisdom that many adults can learn from. Welcome to the group!!!

It warms my heart to read about how welcome you feel here and about our friendly atmosphere. We created that feel years ago and are pleased that we've maintained it and we've created brilliant friendships here.

All the best and welcome aboard! Great to have you here!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

I come from a family of big-time meat eaters, and even when I was a kid there seemed to be something weird about eating animals.

I am also from a family where meat eating was a staple, my dad is a chef so for him being vegetarian seems a bit odd, but luckily he doesn´t hate vegans with a passion like bourdain or ramsay - some chefs don´t understand it.

My dad teased me a lot about it when I first went vegetarian at 7 years old, and I remember that he had once bought some ducks at that time (they were not plucked or anything, just regular dead ducks) he hung them at our porch so I had to see those dead ducks everday, maybe he thought it would be a lesson "animals are for eating" or something like that.

Kero said:"My dad teased me a lot about it when I first went vegetarian at 7 years old, and I remember that he had once bought some ducks at that time (they were not plucked or anything, just regular dead ducks) he hung them at our porch so I had to see those dead ducks everday, maybe he thought it would be a lesson "animals are for eating" or something like that.

I looks as if his plan backfired . My dad always used to take me hunting, probably for the same reasons. I wonder if he ever found it odd that I had great aim when shooting at cans or targets but always seemed to "accidentally" miss when shooting at animals .

I think it's awesome that you were interested in veganism at such young ages (7 and 17) and have been able to maintain your compassionate eating habits for 10 years. I come from a family of big-time meat eaters, and even when I was a kid there seemed to be something weird about eating animals. It seems odd to pet and hand-feed a pig at the petting zoo and then eat bacon the next morning. Most people obviously wouldn't eat the family dog or cat, but it seems perfectly normal for them to eat another living being with just as much personality and feelings, simply because they never met it while it was living. Sorry about the rant, but your intro showed that in many ways kids have an inherent wisdom that many adults can learn from. Welcome to the group!!!

I agree with Mike, you must be very special to make those connections at such a young age. I love this forum, and I know you will too!

• 2 weeks later...