Sleep disorder

arianna

Hello everyone,

Right before I fall asleep, a minor nasal passage obstruction triggers the "lack of air" anxiety (of not surfacing in time). Whenever it starts happening--if I were to rise from bed and start walking (and deliberately thinking of something else)...the psychological pressure slowly dissipates within a minute, two, or three...without re-occurrence when deliberately thinking of something else (immediately returning to bed to fall asleep).

I've been having this "sleep disorder" for the past 1 1/2 years...it happens about once or twice per month. When it happens it's very scary! Can anyone tell me the name of my "sleep disorder"? What can I do to get rid of this sleep disorder?

Thank you in advance!

I get that too! Do you have sinus issues? For me, I have sinus probs, so any change in pressure (decline situps, lying down) causes that type of feeling for me (like a nasal passage is being blocked). When I stand up, it goes away rather quickly. This happens to me in hot showers as well. A humidifier seems to help me. Also, drinking something cool helps. You might also try putting peppermint oil on your upper lip before bed. I would do so sparingly, because it seems to lose its effectiveness after a while.

This happens before you start falling asleep, right? If that feeling happens as you're falling asleep and is accompanied by a feeling that you can't move your body, that's sleep paralysis. It doesn't sound like this is the case, but I thought I'd ask.

If it happens only once or twice a month it may be more a physical thing that you react to emotionally. I wouldn't characterize this as a sleep disorder. I'm thinking its more of a respiratory problem that surprises you every now and then. To be a sleep disorder its really something that has to plague you more often than not. I only get 3.5-4.5 hrs of sleep on average per night...its been this way for 15yrs...thats a sleep disorder...but if that happened once a week I wouldn't call that a sleep disorder...its more of a night of not sleeping well. I say pay close attension to your breathing the day you wake up after this happens...if something doesn't feel the same as before and it feels odd during the day...get it looked at. Its probably just occasional congestion so it wouldn't be much of anything to diagnose. It could be something else but thats just something I'm throwing out...its definitely not a sleeping problem...a few nights of bad sleep a month is just a side effect from it. Think of someone that gets sore after going to the gym and gets so sore that once or twice a month the pain keeps them from sleeping well....thats more of a side effect of the pain...not a cause from bad sleep.

Hi,

According to your given details definitely I can say it’s indicating stress. I found yoga 1 year ago when I was suffering the same problem. I used yoga and I got healthy sleep. Dahn Yoga does work – and without the side effects. I recommend it to anyone who has trouble sleeping. Hope this help you.

If you have any question so ask to Ilchi Lee they can help you…. Ilchi Lee is the author of 29 books, Ilchi Lee is a world-renowned peace activist and spiritual leader. He is the creator of Dahn Yoga and Brain Respiration, a comprehensive system of physical and mental exercises that seeks to use the energy, or "Ki" system of the body to attain a spiritual awakening.

Best of luck!!

Maybe yoga would work but that would only solve the reaction to the problem...it wouldn't actually solve the problem outside of the sleep though...thats a completely different issue.