"Health Food" Store Mixing Raw Meat and Produce?!?

Mike

I recently found out that a health food store in my town has been using the same carts to transport and unload raw meat that they use to transport and unload produce without properly disinfecting the carts! Although the produce is contained in boxes, much of the produce still falls out onto the cart. As a vegan, I obviously try to keep my fruits and veggies away from meat but that's beside the point. What about the bacteria that could be spread from the uncooked meat to the cart to the produce? I emailed the local health department. I'm considering posting the phone number of the store and the local health department on this forum, but I want to act cautiously. I don't want my anger to cause me to make bad decisions regarding this matter. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Yowzah! That's really awful! That's totally a contamination hazard.

Similarly, there's one particular Asian market in my town that sells fresh tofu. I usually take advantage of it on the weekend when they wheel it out (still hot) on a cart, and everyone descends on it like a pack of hungry vultures.

During the week, I decided to go in to get some tofu when the place wasn't quite so busy. When I walked to the back of the store, I found the tofu sitting in a tub full of water. When I looked around for a pair of tongs or something to pull the tofu out of the water, a lady employee told me "just use your hands to pull the tofu out".... !!!

So yeah... tofu... marinated in people's germy-hand-contaminated-water. Yum.

I didn't buy the tofu, and opted to wait until the weekend when they wheeled it back out on the cart again.