OatsOatsOats

threeloaves

I eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon, and a dash of sugar in the raw every morning. Is this a bad thing? Should I be switching it up? I've been seeing a lot of people just eat fruit upon waking. Then having something a few hours later. The problem is I can't really make anything at work, and I despise microwaves.

The only meal I tend to eat that is considered "complete" is breakfast. My typical breakfast is Oats(hopefully organic Irish Oats, but varies) with 1tsp Cinnamon, no sugar though(agave nectar once before). I add golden raisins, 2 types of nuts (usually almonds and walnuts), 3 types of cut fruit (usually simple ones that are yellow, red or orange), 2 tsp flax seed, 3/4th hot water, 1/4 hemp milk w/ herbal tea. I am more than satisfied and feel great everyday after this breakfast.

The only meal I tend to eat that is considered "complete" is breakfast. My typical breakfast is Oats(hopefully organic Irish Oats, but varies) with 1tsp Cinnamon, no sugar though(agave nectar once before). I add golden raisins, 2 types of nuts (usually almonds and walnuts), 3 types of cut fruit (usually simple ones that are yellow, red or orange), 2 tsp flax seed, 3/4th hot water, 1/4 hemp milk w/ herbal tea. I am more than satisfied and feel great everyday after this breakfast.

Yum... That sounds like a Great breakfast to me BodhiDave85 ...

Threeloaves, Oats are great for breakfast and a nice slow release of energy. If you like the sweetness of sugar but prefer not to eat it, then put in some raisins instead...

You can eat fruit as a mid morning meal instead....

Yum... That sounds like a Great breakfast to me BodhiDave85 ...

Threeloaves, Oats are great for breakfast and a nice slow release of energy. If you like the sweetness of sugar but prefer not to eat it, then put in some raisins instead...

You can eat fruit as a mid morning meal instead....

Thats normally what I would do - add raisins. But, I ran out this week so I just sprinkled a bit of raw sugar on there.

I used to have steel-cut oats with a banana for breakfast and it worked out great. Lately I've been having a smoothie in the morning and oatmeal around 11am, seems to be working out even better, the blast of protein in the early morning seems to help me concentrate at work.

I usually have steel cut oatmeal with a banana in the morning. It does stick with you, and I like warm food too.

whats the deal with steel cut oats? i love me some oatmeal, but i've never tried steel cut. don't they take longer to cook? i just get the old fashion rolled oats in bulk from whole foods.

I usually have steel cut oatmeal with a banana in the morning. It does stick with you, and I like warm food too.

whats the deal with steel cut oats? i love me some oatmeal, but i've never tried steel cut. don't they take longer to cook? i just get the old fashion rolled oats in bulk from whole foods.

They are heartier in the way that old fashioned oats are heartier than quick oats.

I will try out this oatmeal with banana stuff for breakfeast, than some crescent baked out of Spelt(hope this is the english name of it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triticum_spelta) and finally some cocoa with soy-rice milk, hope it will get the day going

Yeah, spelt have really become big everywhere in Europe it seems. I eat some of it too.

I have oats in smoothies and in my muesli.

All in all I eat more grains now and I feel awesome. Nothing like whole grains to make you feel satisfied for long periods.

is spelt big in america? or just in europe, I make everything now from spelt flour, pizza, everything that needs flour

It haven't been big here for that long either. 3 years ago I didn't know what it was and now we have flour, bread, muesli and other things in a great deal of variety, coming from spelt. I don't know if the EU are subsidizing it or some agriculture group are supporting it. It's really a boom over here.

It's a positive thing, plant eaters (and others) get more variety in the diet and for once it's a nutritious plant being pushed instead of some fancy meat...

• 1 month later...

too early to eat? like i mentioned i have oatmeal just about every morning. i think its the only thing that can get me outta bed at 7am. i love em. anyway, im wondering if that's too early to be eating. i get up at 7 and have to be at work at 8. which means im usually plowin through a hearty bowl of oats around 7:30. is that too soon?

i used to feel completely sick in the morning - no matter what. the thought of eating before noon was repulsive. now, im the total opposite. im into it.

I don't really like now to eat oats for breakfast, it slows me down in the morning, I think I'l have vegetables instead of oats, I'm still experimenting a lot with my diet, and have oats after workout

After a workout? Im not too sure about that one. Maybe before?

before I eat fruits, it gives me a good boost

I wish that would work for me. Fruit doesn't do anything for me - just tastes great. I've yet to find anything that picks me up before a workout.

I hear ya about the oatmeal. As much as I like it I do feel very sluggish afterwards. I would prefer to have it early afternoon, but work isn't permitting.

I don't really like now to eat oats for breakfast, it slows me down in the morning, I think I'l have vegetables instead of oats, I'm still experimenting a lot with my diet, and have oats after workout

Vegetables are not a good choice for a breakfast food. Not many calories.

Vegetables are not a good choice for a breakfast food. Not many calories.

Yeah, it is good to have some veggies for breakfast (a green smoothie maybe, as I always do), but they need to be combined with something that has some energy to it. You could try making a green smoothie with some fruit and if you are not opposed, protein powder. I start my day with a green smoothie with a scoop of pea protein and a bowl of oatmeal, totaling around 600 calories. This is also a great time to get some flax in, either ground in the smoothie or oatmeal. Flax will also provide some energy.