Question About Running

Mike

Hey, I've got another question for my fellow veggie fitness freaks. I've recently taken up running and am enjoying it more than any other form of exercise I've ever done. I have a couple of questions, though:

1) I typically run as hard as I can for a half hour. Is there any problem with doing this on consecutive days or even every day?

2) I have this annoying habit of pushing the big toe of my right foot into the ground to help push my foot back up when I'm running. I think it's responsible for the soreness I feel in my toes and upper foot. Does anyone have any tips on how I can break this habit, or what might be causing me to do this?

Thanks

Mike

You should never simply go out and run as hard as you can. You'll kill yourself and you'll never improve past a few weeks or months at best. You need to build a base of easy paced mileage for extended periods of time...this means regular 60+ minute runs at a low intensity. Fast runs for runners are reserved for just before race season and maybe once a week at most in the off season when your supposed to just be running as many miles as you can.

As for your running technique ideally you should hit the ground with the outside of your heel...then rotate a bit towards the inside of your foot towards the release point but you shouldn't really drive off the big too so hard.

Thanks, VP! You're a wealth of knowledge . I've always had a tendency to run on the balls of my feet. That, coupled with the fact that I run like I'm being chased by a pack of wolves, could explain my toe/foot pain. I'll slow things down and focus on my form.

You mentioned that I should shoot for 60+ minutes of low intensity running. At this point, I'm really just running for the health benefits and can only fit about 20 minutes a day into my schedule for cardio. Do you think I would be alright running for only 20 minutes a day if I upped the intensity a bit (not at full blast like I had been doing but enough to compensate for the shorter duration)? How do you feel about something like this for me:

Sun: HIIT running

Mon: steady jog

Tue: HIIT running

Wed: steady jog

Thur: HIIT running

Fri: steady jog

Sat: punching bag

Each day would only be 20 minutes. Thanks again for your help on this and other threads

Mike

I'm a runner...

I still don't think you should go all out every time you run. It's a sure way to injure yourself, particularly since you've only just started running. Even if your time is limited, you should slow it down quite a bit and then gradually increase your speed once your body is acclimatized to running.

I disagree with VP on one aspect however...everything I have read suggests it's better to strike the ground around mid foot, or with your toes. Hitting the ground with your heel is tantamount to putting the brakes on with every step.

BTW when I started running I swore up and down I'd never run further than 5k. There are lots of people who can confirm that. Now I've run as long as 25k. Watch out, you might get addicted.

Thanks for the advice, Pamela. I've heard the same thing about running on the heel, with no disrespect to Potter of course. Different methods work for different people. I think I'll try to land mid-foot, at least until I can train myself to stop pushing off with my toes. (Oddly enough, I've found that I actually do that when driving as well.)

If I slow way down like you both advised, do you think there's any problem with running 6 days per week alternating between interval training and steady-pace running? Even with the HIIT, I would still be moving at a more laid-back pace.

I think I may already be addicted. I love how running in the morning improves the way I feel throughout the entire day. 25K is VERY impressive. I hope I can catch up to you one day .

Mike

Really there isn't anything wrong with running every day so long as the intensity is low so I wouldn't concern yourself with that. As for time why can you only fit in 20 minutes of running??? In all honesty a runner should really spend about 10 minutes warming up and at least 5-10 minutes cooling down to prevent injury...this leaves you no time in between. As for health benefits you won't get any if you run hard all the time...you'll only suffer from health problems. If you can run hard for 30 minutes...20 minutes of hard running won't get you in better shape. If you can run hard for 30 minutes then if you want even remotely the same quality of workout you need to run easy for an hour...otherwise you'll even digress.

I've only been running for a few months, but it is easy to get addicted.Right now I only run 3 times a week for 3.5 miles each time, so I'm no expert. If I were to give any advice though, it would be to try to run for longer than 20 minutes, maybe you could try to run for at least 30 minutes. I also agree that if you go all out each time you run you may injure yourself, or burn out fast.

Thanks for all of your help, everybody . After reading everyone's suggestions, I decided that I would find a serious schedule instead of screwing around for twenty minutes a day. I found some great plans on the Runner's World site. They have a beginner and intermediate 5K plan. Each plan is 5 weeks long so that gives me 10 weeks of scheduled training. I'd also like to do some cross training with cycling in the future, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Speaking of getting ahead of myself, after training for 10 weeks for the 5K( and hopefully finding a 5K to run in), should I find a plan for a 10K?

Mike

A good cool down and stretching made me able to run every other day. Without that I was hurting too much with the DOMS. After a 40 minute run I walk for 5 mins and do another 5 or so of stretching. I'm not really good about a warmup but I'm not trying to become a better runner, just have a decent time and burn some cals. Running is definitely addictive. I miss it, I've been out 1.5 months with knee injury. It's also a great way to see some beautiful sunrises in the morning. *wistful sigh*

I agree about the warm-up and cool down. They suck, but not as bad as an injury. I'm sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you're able to get out and enjoy those sunrises again soon.

This is way off-topic, but I notice you're from Portland. What's up with all the vegans in Oregon? I think you guys outnumber the omnis. I may have to move there one day.

Mike

I also wanted to say that I do a lot of other stuff besides running, that's why I personally only run 3 times a week, and for only a few miles at a time. My running has improved with only 3 times per week, and my legs have gotten so much stronger. I also weight train, and I can definitely tell the difference in my overall strength increasing. Just thought I'd suggest the weight training as it has a lot of benefits, just like running has many benefits. Good luck with your new plan! I'm told that during April there are a lot of 5ks. I live in Florida though so it may be different for where you live. But I'd say that during Spring you should be able to find a few different 5ks to try.

If you can run hard for 30 minutes(depends on what hard is of course) your probably in much better shape than you think you are. As for the racing go for it. If you like the 5K and it seems too short go for a 10K...or depending on how your training feels...skip the 5k and go for the 10k. It really isn't that different.

I agree about the weight training, hs. There are actually three cross training days incorporated into the routine. I might do one upper body day and one lower body day and one day on the punching bag.

Potter, I like the way you think . I think a 10K would be doable. I've been running with my girlfriend who's in great shape but more at a 5K place right now. I actually think the 5K would be a little too easy for me. I may do the 5K training with her in the morning and add the cross training to make up for the laid-back morning run.

I'd also like to find a way to weigh myself down a bit for the run. A conditioning vest is kind of expensive, and I would think a backpack would be a little hard on the back. Any ideas?

Mike

Weights while running are actually really bad for your knees regardless of where you put them. Ideally the best resistance is running specific bungee cords. Plus they're a lot of fun to use...but you need a partner.

Weights while running are actually really bad for your knees regardless of where you put them. Ideally the best resistance is running specific bungee cords. Plus they're a lot of fun to use...but you need a partner.

A partner like say... his girlfriend

Meanwhile, this thread is making me want to run. Nice work all.

The person thats gonna be pulling runs full speed with the cord attached to his/her back. The person thats getting pulls simply jogs...after the cord gets really tight it slingshots the guy in the back and forces you to run much faster than you otherwise could.

***I forgot about parachute training...thats also very good too. They make small parachutes for runners.

That sounds cool. It reminds me of the bands the Westside Barbell powerlifters (and others) use for explosive power.

Speaking of WSB, I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Westside method of maxing out on different upper/lower body exercises each week. I have two days for cross training. I was thinking of making one an upper body max day and one a lower body max day, so I can maintain some strength. (I would just ditch the speed days.) Do you guys think that might work? If not, are there are any reps schemes you'd recommend?

(I was thinking of posting this in a bodybuilding thread, but I figured I'd just keep it here since it's related )

Mike

Bungee cords and parachutes might be used by sprinters, but no distance runner would ever use that stuff. The only real resistance for runners is hill training.

I can attest to hill training!! Hill training can be very depressing and will break any runner's confidence but its great training. I've been running exclusively on hills for last 2 months, and I slug through the last half at .000001 mph. For a while I felt weak and unsure about my ability to run long distance. I just recently timed myself on an even surface track and increased my 5 mile time by 8 minutes, to 42 minutes total.

Bungee cords and parachutes might be used by sprinters, but no distance runner would ever use that stuff. The only real resistance for runners is hill training.

I wouldn't say that. My coach just trained a kid (Mathew Centrowitz) to third fastest high school mile in US history(and a 4:03 mile)...he did quite a bit of parachute training...its very good for the kick at the end of the race...or runners that have very consistent power curves.

A mile is just a warm up for a marathon runner! It would be awesome if you could keep the 4.03 minutes/mile pace for the whole 26 miles though! The Kenyan guy did a 4.7 minute/mile pace through the Crim Festival of Races that I was in: 10 mile race.