Hi everyone! Happy to be a part of the gang!

duke

Hi mike. When you say "whole grains", can you give me an example of the types of whole grains you mix into your shakes?

Uh, oh... I don't think I can name all of the grains. I actually pick up a bag of 7-grain "cereal" from my local health food store. It looks like uncooked oatmeal. I know it includes sunflower seeds, oats and maybe millette. I'll get back to you next time I go to the store. If I space it (which I've been known to do), please PM me so I don't forget.

One thing I didn't mention is Ezekiel bread. I love that stuff. It has a bunch of grains that end up forming a complete source of protein. Tastes great too, but I wouldn't put it in a shake if I were you. I actually did that once and it was horrible .

By the way, you mentioned having some trouble quoting. No worries; I think we all do from time to time. When you hit quote, you'll see a beginning (quote) and an end (quote). If you just type your response under the end quote, you'll be fine. I think the prob is that you're posting within the quote . You'll get it.

Mike

No problem Mike. I think I know what you are refering to now. I remember seeing this in the health food store. I just didn't know what it was. Very new to this. Tell me, Do these 7- grain come without wheat. I've been hearing some thing about wheat that was not good. Such as may cause gluten. (hope i spelled that correctly) Is this true?

The Ezekiel bread sounds great! Does it contain wheat or no?

Also, thanks much for the info on using the quote. Did I do it correctly with this post?

Can I find it here in the states?
yea, you just have to go to your local Asian market, which most cities usually have. Hopefully that isn't a problem where you are.

As for the grains, I can name a few for you:

Buckwheat

Amaranth

Quinoa (my personal favorite)

Wheat Berries (Bulgur is ok)

Kamut

Millet

Salba

Barley

Rye

Oat groats

to grind in a shake, i suppose oat groats are pretty popular. I suppose the barley, buckwheat groats and wheat berries would be ok as well, i'm not the best person to ask. I usually sprout them. Quinoa is an excellent sprouter (even in a regular colander in like 18 hours) and comes out soooo good.

If you go to your local health food store, just look for bulk bins. They always have at least 3-5 grains to choose from. The also package them by the pound.

Awesome! I've always wondered how I can use barley without drinking the beer. Can I use barley to help put on th pounds?

Can't wait to try some of the other grains you mentioned

Oh, I had Quinoa this morning. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it taste good without salt. (i try not to eat much salt). I let it set in water for about 30 minutes, rinse and cook. But it doesn't seem to taste all that good to me. Maybe it's because i don't add anything to it. What makes it taste good?

I know it is very high in nutrients so i've got to make it part of my diet but i just wish i can make it taste better. Sometimes i feel like i'm forcing myself to eat it. Any ideas?

Thanks

This is a picture of a quinoa salad I made awhile back. The stalks are simply kale stalks just to dress it up and make it look pretty. I'm always one for aesthetics...

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4262/quinoacouscousff1.jpg

Here are some recipes I have used. Some get very involved and what I would say to you is simply use discretion. Take from what you have, no need to always get out of control, just use the ideas listed and add what you have.

Quinoa Tabouli

1 cup quinoa (when sprouted it comes to 2 cups)

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 Tbsp lemon juice

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

3 medium tomatoes diced and seeded

2 green onions sliced thin (i usually omit them, not the biggest fan)

2 bunches of parsley, chopped

1 handful mint leaves, chopped

If you have ever been to a lebanese joint and tried tabouli, you'll know what this tastes like. It isn't exactly the same but it's pretty good.

Quinoa and Grape Salad

1/4 cup lime juice

1/4 cup mirin (or other rice based wine)

2-3 tbsp of oil of your choice

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 cups quartered grapes

3 stalks celery, diced

1 bunch cilantro, chopped

1 small handful basil, chopped

1 green onion, 1 inch deep, sliced thin (once again i omit, up to you)

1 handful chopped cashews

fresh black pepper to taste

It's involved, just use your judgement and make do

[/u]Quinoa Tabouli #2

1/4 cup sprouted quinoa

1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved

2 tbsp nama shoyu (fermented soy sauce) OR 1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup mint, chopped

1/4 cup burdock (health food store, great stuff, otherwise try a nice yukon

gold or red potato)

1/4 cup diced cucumber

1 cup parsley, chopped

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tsp minced jalapeno

1 tsp minced ginger

1/2 cup olive oil

another one that goes all out. use what you have

as you can see, quinoa is a whole grain substitute for cous cous (a flour) and other dishes with cooked grains that are small.

I also like to add raisins, personally. You cannot go wrong when you throw some fresh herbs chopped up really fine, some oil, salt, whatever spices you prefer and some sweet stuff like tomatoes, dried currants, etc, etc...

Quinoa seems to really absorb whatever you mix it with which is why oil and some sweet fruit really livens it up.

As far as the sprouting goes, it is really so incredibly simple. I am sure you have a colander to drain stuff. Just throw the quinoa in it, rinse it out with some water and let it sit in your drainboard overnight or from morning till night. If you can, rinse it out once more just to keep it wet. It's so simple. It will grow instantly. And don't worry about it spoiling. It will last 3-4 days in your fridge. Actually, it just keeps on growing! Sometimes the sprout can come out like 1 inch...

Enjoy!!! hope I did inundate you too much with info; just wanted to show you how versatile you can be....

This is a picture of a quinoa salad I made awhile back. The stalks are simply kale stalks just to dress it up and make it look pretty. I'm always one for aesthetics...

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4262/quinoacouscousff1.jpg

Here are some recipes I have used. Some get very involved and what I would say to you is simply use discretion. Take from what you have, no need to always get out of control, just use the ideas listed and add what you have.

Quinoa Tabouli

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 Tbsp lemon juice

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

3 medium tomatoes diced and seeded

2 green onions sliced thin (i usually omit them, not the biggest fan)

2 bunches of parsley, chopped

If you have ever been to a lebanese joint and tried tabouli, you'll know what this tastes like. It isn't exactly the same but it's pretty good.

Quinoa and Grape Salad

1/4 cup lime juice

1/4 cup mirin (or other rice based wine)

2-3 tbsp of oil of your choice

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 cups quartered grapes

3 stalks celery, diced

1 bunch cilantro, chopped

1 small handful basil, chopped

1 green onion, 1 inch deep, sliced thin (once again i omit, up to you)

1 handful chopped cashews

fresh black pepper to taste

It's involved, just use your judgement and make do

[/u]Quinoa Tabouli #2

1/4 cup sprouted quinoa

1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved

2 tbsp nama shoyu (fermented soy sauce) OR 1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup mint, chopped

1/4 cup burdock (health food store, great stuff, otherwise try a nice yukon

gold or red potato)

1/4 cup diced cucumber

1 cup parsley, chopped

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tsp minced jalapeno

1 tsp minced ginger

1/2 cup olive oil

another one that goes all out. use what you have

as you can see, quinoa is a whole grain substitute for cous cous (a flour) and other dishes with cooked grains that are small.

I also like to add raisins, personally. You cannot go wrong when you throw some fresh herbs chopped up really fine, some oil, salt, whatever spices you prefer and some sweet stuff like tomatoes, dried currants, etc, etc...

Quinoa seems to really absorb whatever you mix it with which is why oil and some sweet fruit really livens it up.

As far as the sprouting goes, it is really so incredibly simple. I am sure you have a colander to drain stuff. Just throw the quinoa in it, rinse it out with some water and let it sit in your drainboard overnight or from morning till night. If you can, rinse it out once more just to keep it wet. It's so simple. It will grow instantly. And don't worry about it spoiling. It will last 3-4 days in your fridge. Actually, it just keeps on growing! Sometimes the sprout can come out like 1 inch...

Enjoy!!! hope I did inundate you too much with info; just wanted to show you how versatile you can be....

Hey Lean and Green,

thanks for those incredible recipes and tips! I can really use it. This gives me lots of fresh ideas to get going.

I did have another queston though. You mentioned the sprouting. Are you saying that the Quinoa will grow prouts overnight? And if so, do I eat the spouts together with the Quinoa?

I've been cooking the Quinoa just as i would cook oat meal or grits. Except a little longer. I just got a little confuded about the sprouts. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Duke !

Bananas, Avacodoes, Walnuts, Soy Yogurt, Tempeh, Hemp Milk, Almond Butter are some easy ways of getting more fats into your diet.

Good Luck on your journey & feel free to ask any questions in the forum you may have.

Hey BodhiDave85,

thanks! that's give me some great ideas for the fats!

I use avacodoes but I'm thinking of trying them in my shake also. I never added them to a shake before. Think this would work?

thanks

Duke, you've got the quoting down perfectly! As far as the wheat thing goes, I haven't heard anything bad about it. Well, I guess some people say it can aggravate their allergies, but I have horrible allergies and it doesn't bother me. What have you heard?

Ezekiel does contain whole wheat. I'm pretty sure that grain mixture I eat does as well, but you might check out the one at your local store. Just ask them to take the wheat out and give you some 6-grain cereal .

Mike

Blending an avacado would probably make your drink very mushy, I reccommend juicing it. Yes, you can juice an avacado! I tend to just make guacamole.

4-6 avacadoes, blend in food processor, or hand mash well

add a few drops of hot sauce, tsp of veganiese, 2tsp lemon juice

add chopped red onion, and dice 2 plum tomatoes

I put this stuff on Ezekiel Bread almost every day.

Duke, you've got the quoting down perfectly! As far as the wheat thing goes, I haven't heard anything bad about it. Well, I guess some people say it can aggravate their allergies, but I have horrible allergies and it doesn't bother me. What have you heard?

Ezekiel does contain whole wheat. I'm pretty sure that grain mixture I eat does as well, but you might check out the one at your local store. Just ask them to take the wheat out and give you some 6-grain cereal .

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'm glad i,ve learned to use the quote. Thanks to the help I've gotten in the forum! You guys help make it much easier.

As for the wheat, I heard something about it could cause gluten or something like that. Maybe this is just some hearsay. I myself is going to try the 7 grain bread because I got to thinking, if the wheat causes any problem for me i can always test to see if I am allergic to it.

Also, wheat is mentioned in Ezekiel 4:9 in the bible to be eaten along with barley, beans millet and lentils. Perhaps it's not the wheat. could it be the chemicals sometimes spayed on the wheat that causes the proble?

I'm also finding that the 7 grains make up a very good protein! This was new to me also.

This is getting to be more exciting!

I did have another queston though. You mentioned the sprouting. Are you saying that the Quinoa will grow prouts overnight? And if so, do I eat the spouts together with the Quinoa?

that is exactly what I am saying, they will grow in under 24hours. They have to be one of the easiest things in the world to sprout. Some stuff is challenging; quinoa is a no brainer.

As far as eating them, yes of course together, they are together. It's basically just like a little, 1/2" root tail that grows out, not a free flowing sprout, like the one you'll see in a sprout salad or package you buy in a store. And they are very thin tails. Nothing separates from the quinoa. Anyways, in only 24 hours, they will only be popping out like 1/8", so don't even stress it; it just makes them easier to chew and digest and releases the shell so the vitamins can be harnessed.

Hey, though I am raw, it does not necessarily mean I am coaxing you to do the same. Try both ways to change things up. Sprout them and see what they taste like and cook them as well; it's too easy to not give it a shot at least once, fool proof. Just make sure the colander you use has small holes so the quinoa doesn't fall through them.

Blending an avacado would probably make your drink very mushy, I reccommend juicing it. Yes, you can juice an avacado! I tend to just make guacamole.

Hi BodhiDave85,

you are scaring me man! Can you really juice avacados? I've got to try this one. What happens to most of the avacado? does it turn to pulp or something?

I'm going to try the hot sauce in the avacados as well!

Also you mentioned veganiese, is this something like mayonnaise?

Hi BodhiDave85,

you are scaring me man! Can you really juice avacados? I've got to try this one. What happens to most of the avacado? does it turn to pulp or something?

I've got a pretty nice juicer, and it juices avacados. You dont get THAT much out of it, so I include plenty of other things. Yes veganiese is probably the best vegan mayo on the market in my opinion. I believe it won an award last year to back me up.

that is exactly what I am saying, they will grow in under 24hours. They have to be one of the easiest things in the world to sprout. Some stuff is challenging; quinoa is a no brainer.

As far as eating them, yes of course together, they are together. It's basically just like a little, 1/2" root tail that grows out, not a free flowing sprout, like the one you'll see in a sprout salad or package you buy in a store. And they are very thin tails. Nothing separates from the quinoa. Anyways, in only 24 hours, they will only be popping out like 1/8", so don't even stress it; it just makes them easier to chew and digest and releases the shell so the vitamins can be harnessed.

Hey, though I am raw, it does not necessarily mean I am coaxing you to do the same. Try both ways to change things up. Sprout them and see what they taste like and cook them as well; it's too easy to not give it a shot at least once, fool proof. Just make sure the colander you use has small holes so the quinoa doesn't fall through them.

Thanks Lean and Green for clearing that up for me. You're right, i'll try them both. Raw really sound great though! I'll have to grab a colander with smallers holes as the one i have now has big holes.

Can't wait to give the sprouting a try.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi BodhiDave85,

I've got a pretty nice juicer, and it juices avacados. You dont get THAT much out of it, so I include plenty of other things. Yes veganiese is probably the best vegan mayo on the market in my opinion. I believe it won an award last year to back me up.

Ok BodhiDave85,

sounds good to me. I've been wondering what i can use to make things taste a little better. I guess it's all in knowing what to use.

I'll have to give veganiese a go

thanks much for sharing