New

veganjkd

Hi.

i am based in Manchester england. Went veggie at 12 and vegan at 18 and now am 37 years of age.

My main training is martial arts which i do 3 nights a week. Two nights of Jeet kune do and Kali-escrima and one night and Brazilian jiu jitsu.I also do a saturday morning `primal fitness `class that envolves kettle bells, body weight excerises,box jumps,push ups, medicine balls wall slams etc.

that leaves me with tuesday,friday and sunday evenings to visit the local gym.my aim is to lose some excess fat and to build a lot more defined musclee. i have read a lot of the stuff on here and i am aiming to follow the basic beginners programme outlined on Robert`s personal website along with extra abdominal work.

at 37 is my age going against me in wanting to build extra muscle?whats the best way forward for me?

Edited by veganjkd

at 37 is my age going against me in wanting to build extra muscle?whats the best way forward for me?

Welcome to the forums I really doubt 37 can be considered "old age" for what regards building muscle. If you need motivation, I happened to see a dvd called"fit over 40" by Venuto - while you dont belong in the demographic, some of the people used as role models seem inspiring enough - It includes a 74 years old, now competing in bodybuilding, who previously had an enormous amount of dead tissue in his heart.

While I am not suggesting you to buy it or advertising it, it seems to be a good guide to exercise after your twenties, and I like the authors method. Of course, probably some of the not so young in the forum will likely e as much of help as the video, so why pay for it?

Edit: and btw, you have a good starting point already! No sens in being anything but posi, Id say.

Edited by xSkotx

Welcome! I appreciate those who have been able to be a vegan for many years really much! I know it hasn't been as easy back in the days than it is now.

I'd say you have a very good physique to begin with, I think your age won't be a problem at all. I've seen people older than you getting in shape really well. Just eat more and train hard.

Welcome! If you're concerned about age, you may want to look up Avi Leyhani (I think I butchered his name, but maybe someone here can correct me ). He's been a vegan for a long time, is approaching 50 and would put many lifters have his age to shame. You look like you've got a good starting point. Good luck! I hope you enjoy the forum .

Mike

37 is definitely not old for building muscle

I'm 45, and have made some great progress in less than a month.

There's a guy on a nother forum I go to who is 54 and is just ripped!

I'm sure you'll find a ton of useful information here which will help you meet your goals

I'm sure you'll find a ton of useful information here which will help you meet your goals

that is very encouraging to hear! what kind of workout do you follow? my local gym is limited, a few weight machines and dumbells and cable machines.

that is very encouraging to hear! what kind of workout do you follow? my local gym is limited, a few weight machines and dumbells and cable machines.

well, I have been doing my workouts with free weights.

upperbody:

3x8 incline bench press

3x8 lat raises (dumbells)

3x8 bent over rows

3x15 incline pushups

3x12 tricep kickbacks

(I would add pullups ...but I don't have a pullup bar yet)

lowerbody

3x8 front squats

3x12 lunges

3x12 calf raises

3x30 crunches

I'm gradually increasing my weights and lowering my reps.

Had a back injury from deadlifts about a year & half ago, so I'm being very careful.

One thing that my "benevolent trainer" has really impressed upon me is the need for protein. He recommends 1.1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

I started tracking my diet and found that while my calories were at a good range for cutting, my protein was far too low.

You might want to track your diet for a week or two to see where you are at.

good luck!!!!

(I would add