What has bodybuilding/fitness done for you mentally ?

When I read Robs posts for the first time I came on here I was always wondering how in the world he could always remain so positive?

I was just starting to lift weights back then and I was lean and skinny. I always was the quiet kid in the back of the class, never ever picked fights and I always had tons of friends. BUT ... I always felt weird and pretty ugly. I had cancer and lost my Iris and eyesight. I never looked someone in the eye from that day... I got bullied and never spoke a word when i was with other people than my friends.

22 operations and some donor material later my eye looks "kinda normal"... My confidence went up but was never "up there"... I joined a kung fu club to build skill, confidence, discipline and muscle...

My muscles grew and I joined a gym to build even more muscle... Slowly but surely my confidence went up. I gainded more weight and slowly muscles were popping out. I graduated college and lifted more and more. after a while I saw some of my bullies and saw that I had a college degree, nice friends, a nice gf, and a better body than them... It made me feel truely GOOD.

I was thinking " damn right!" for the first time in my life. People started talking behind my back " he takes steroids " " you can't look like that without eating meat".

Awesome.

Lifting weights has shown me that it's POSSIBLE to achieve dreams if you set your mind to it. I'll never abandon the gym .. because it has done more for me than anyone ever could do.

I'd like to thank ROB, Franco Columbu, Arnold, Henry rollins, and Morrissey ( for the ballads I work out to)... and everyone on here. You don't know me... but your influence was up there.

Take care and lift hard

Kevin

I can't really say for sure because I've been playing sports since before birth but I know I go crazy when I'm injured and can't do anything. I'm rarely on edge(outside of online debates of course) but when I'm not training at something its much much worse. School was harder when I wasn't training...I've never been an introvert but I'd say I'm a bit more introverted when I'm not training.

Hey, nice subtle spam post there "Bodybildingguid1"

Anyway......

I've always been somewhat confident due to my height (5'10") as a woman and the fact that I'm slender (and therefore socially acceptable or desirable or whatever). Since I've gotten bigger and stronger through bodybuilding, however, I've gained even more confidence. I had a mental block with getting bigger, or bulking, at first but it's been liberating to eat a lot and work out heavy.

Mentally, it's a great release. When I work out alone then all my problems are put on hold because all my focus is on the physical. When I work out with friends, it adds another dimension of commeradarie and challenge. And when I work out with Robert, I get the added bonus of entertainment.

I had a mental block with getting bigger, or bulking, at first but it's been liberating to eat a lot and work out heavy.

I'm amazed these days how many younger women feel completely unselfconscious about saying that they lift weights. Times sure have changed for the better. I can remember getting mentally exhausted explaining to friends that they did not have to worry about looking like Cory Everson unless they took a medicine cabinet full of drugs and worked their asses off.....FOR YEARS.

Having a physique (as well as a level of strength and athleticism due to the way I train) that I can admire brightens the rest of my day. With all of my poetic aptitude, I could not find the words to tell you how empowering it is to be able to look at myself in the mirror every morning and say to myself "I truly love the reflection that resides before me, I cannot even begin to express the depths of my admiration for what I see here".

Your body is the physical personification of your soul. To attain mastery over your body and the way it works (I define mastery as optimal strength, physique, conditioning, flexibility, speed, etc.) is to attain mastery over the most precious physical gift in existance.

THAT is why being a bodybuilder (as well as an athlete and a vegan) provides me with such intense feelings of fulfillment. When you truly believe in something and you know that you are pursuing it with the utmost of conviction and that you are following your soul, you begin to see your world through different eyes, eyes that make your world bigger, brighter, more vibrant, and more plentiful than it could ever otherwise be.

Confidence

Energy

A feeling of empowerment

A sexy strut

Liking what I see in the mirror

The ability to inspire others

A more rewarding life

The mental discipline that transcends into other areas of life

Have a rewarding career with endless possibilities

The ability to help others develop their physiques and feel more confident

The added feeling of confidence that I can do it as a Vegan and help the planet and the animals.

I was convinced I had no changes until now - after all, I am awfully new to weight training, as you might have noticed

Now I am convinced somethings moving. I have read of a couple exercises not needing any weights, and stretching in a couple of ebooks I found. Until now I always thought of myself as both a lazy ass and a natural born procrastinator, but now I am following them daily naturally, as if my mind is adapting to the "routine" idea. And thats not bad for a beginner.