Toxin Cleansing Programs

Mike

Our organs do cleansing, not juice or whatever.

Also, we can't speed the proces up with juices or fasts.

And we don't need to either.

If you analize the urine of people "cleansing" there are no differences to when they are not. So no extra toxins being cleansed.

Thats what I think anyway, considering the scientific evidence.

Our organs do cleansing, not juice or whatever.

Also, we can't speed the proces up with juices or fasts.

And we don't need to either.

If you analize the urine of people "cleansing" there are no differences to when they are not. So no extra toxins being cleansed.

Thats what I think anyway, considering the scientific evidence.

That's what I've always thought, though I'm always interested to hear from people who are into cleansing programs. It seems to me that water is nature's cleanser (assuming it's purified), and that it does just fine. That being said, I think it's possible that there might be certain herbs and such that could enhance the body's cleansing abilities.

Mike

After years of my bad eating habits I decided to do the Dr. Natura three month cleansing and toxinout program. You can read about it here www.drnatura.com. Not ony does it cleanse but it alos will kill parasites in the body should anyone have any. Mostly meat eaters or formal meat eaters might have some. They are in the form of all natural pills, a fiber mix and a tea at night.

I agree water will help but I figured this wouldnt hurt especially since I have probably pick up a parasite or two. Everyone has them

That's interesting about the parasites. Kind of creepy to think about, too. Do you think there's a danger in killing some of the good "bugs" in your body along with the bad (similar to antibiotics)?

By the way, I don't want anyone to think I'm attacking these types of programs. I've been curious about them for a while, and I'm just trying to learn more by asking questions.

Mike

Also, we can't speed the proces up with juices

I do not agree.

I don't believe in any specific detox "program." I believe in a clean diet with a lot of water.

I don't really pay much attention to what the medical industry has to say about this stuff...My experiences have been different.

I've had colon hydrotherapy..it worked pretty well.

That must be weird. I get kinda freaked out when I go to the dentist and he shoots water into my mouth. I'm glad it worked for you, though. I've heard people have great things to say about that stuff, but I don't think I could do it .

Mike

I don't really pay much attention to what the medical industry has to say about this stuff...My experiences have been different.

Yeah, industry is the operative word there. cha ching. There's plenty of money to be had by profiting off of people's fears of illness.

Mike

Years ago I used to read Dr. Andrew Weil's MD books. Dr. Weil is any ivy leauge educated medical doctor who is into alternative medicine in addition to allopathic medicine.

What made his stuff so interesting to me is that he has the education to evaluate various alternative practices as useful or bunk.

Usually if someone is into alternative medicine they don't know much about anything else related. If someone has a medical degree, usually they are not opened minded enough or are too busy to take a fair look at other things.

Not so with Dr. Weil.

I always found it interesting what alternative practices he endorsed and which he wrote off as bunk.

The whole "toxin, detox, cleansing" thing he put down to pure BS ( herbs, colon cleansing etc ). The way he put it is that almost everything in our torsos beneath our heart & lungs, our lymphatic system, and a plethora of other systems are made to do almost nothing BUT DETOX. Weil wrote that if simply stopped overloading our systems they will take care of cleaning themselves. In other words eating good food, minimizing intoxicants, minimizing overeating, exericising and getting enough sleep. He said the only legitimate detox substance is....................WATER. Water does dozens of good things for us, including dozens of detox activities.......AND.......most people just don't drink enough ( minimum 2 quarts/liters a day, not counting what you need for exercise ).

Weil would advise people wanting to "cleanse" to stop overeating, work up a sweat, drink a lot of water and maybe take some short fasts.

The whole "toxin, detox, cleansing" thing he put down to pure BS ( herbs, colon cleansing etc ). The way he put it is that almost everything in our torsos beneath our heart & lungs, our lymphatic system, and a plethora of other systems are made to do almost nothing BUT DETOX. Weil wrote that if simply stopped overloading our systems they will take care of cleaning themselves. In other words eating good food, minimizing intoxicants, minimizing overeating, exericising and getting enough sleep. He said the only legitimate detox substance is....................WATER. Water does dozens of good things for us, including dozens of detox activities.......AND.......most people just don't drink enough ( minimum 2 quarts/liters a day, not counting what you need for exercise ).

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Good post BW.

When you say Herbs are you referring to capsules and over the counter stuff or freshly picked herbs in their natural state. I can go on record by saying freshly picked herbs boiled and combined in the right combination are the best possible thing you can put in your body ahead of water, fruits and vegetables.

Colon cleansing's are great for overweight people and I dont even know how anybody can say herbs have any negative impact. Have you ever met Dr. Weil? I saw him at a talk, and he was overweight by a good 40-50lbs, has a semi-negative egotistical attitude, and never answered people's questions with a straight answer. His books have very useful information, but it hard for me to consider him a valid resource of anything regardless of his education.

When you say Herbs are you referring to capsules and over the counter stuff or freshly picked herbs in their natural state. I can go on record by saying freshly picked herbs boiled and combined in the right combination are the best possible thing you can put in your body ahead of water, fruits and vegetables.

That is a popular opinion. but it isn't a medical opinion.. Like you I am not a scientist, like you I am not a medical doctor and like you I am not a degreed health professional so I am not going to tell you that you are wrong. Weil is/was all of those things so I will run with his opinion rather than someone else's.

Colon cleansing's are great for overweight people and I dont even know how anybody can say herbs have any negative impact.

I didn't claim that Weil wrote that herbs have a negative impact. I wrote that Weil claims that there isn't a need for people to do "detox" programs, let alone use special herbs, supplements or tools etc.

Have you ever met Dr. Weil? I saw him at a talk, and he was overweight by a good 40-50lbs, has a semi-negative egotistical attitude, and never answered people's questions with a straight answer.

I don't understand how any of those personal qualities invalidates his education, his research, or his professional opinions. Robert is currently smaller than he used to be. Does that mean he lost some knowledge on how to train as he shrunk?

Also, we can't speed the proces up with juices

I do not agree.

I don't believe in any specific detox "program." I believe in a clean diet with a lot of water.

Did you missread what I said, because I'm saying you can not speed the proces up and you say you don't believe in any detox program.

Thats about the same thing no?

That is a popular opinion. but it isn't a medical opinion.. Like you I am not a scientist, like you I am not a medical doctor and like you I am not a degreed health professional so I am not going to tell you that you are wrong. Weil is/was all of those things so I will run with his opinion rather than someone else's.

Colon cleansing's are great for overweight people and I dont even know how anybody can say herbs have any negative impact.

I didn't claim that Weil wrote that herbs have a negative impact. I wrote that Weil claims that there isn't a need for people to do "detox" programs, let alone use special herbs, supplements or tools etc.

Have you ever met Dr. Weil? I saw him at a talk, and he was overweight by a good 40-50lbs, has a semi-negative egotistical attitude, and never answered people's questions with a straight answer.

I don't understand how any of those personal qualities invalidates his education, his research, or his professional opinions. Robert is currently smaller than he used to be. Does that mean he lost some knowledge on how to train as he shrunk?

In my opinion, if someone knows the "answers" or any "truth" and does not practice them to the fullest extent then that person is not an acceptable source of information. Robert has proven himself many times, even when his shape fluctuates its still in obviously great form. His attitude is welcoming and sincere, and his intentions are honest. Weil on the other hand does not portray any of those. Action is ultimately more important than talk.

I'm not a doctor. I'm an advanced practice nurse. Take it for what it's worth.

As for detoxing. I don't believe in it. It's a huge industry and therefore there is a lot of information out there in favor of it. Your body can detoxify itself without any help unless you are VERY sick (like kidney failure, for instance).

Many things in your body can be considered toxins. Carbon dioxide, for instance. Well, every time you exhale you detoxify by exhaling carbon dioxide. Every cell in our body expels toxins. Toxins in our blood are processed through our livers and kidneys, for the most part. If your organs are healthy then no need to worry. There are certainly some toxic materials that become incorporated into our bodies, stored mostly in our fat. You can't very well pull out toxins that are imbedded in your bones or muscle very readily - although I'm sure there's a product out there that claims to do just that while somehow not disrupting the matrix of those tissues. But you can get rid of toxins in your fat - by losing fat. Keep in mind that when you burn fat you do let loose into your bloodstream whatever toxins and free radicals are in that fat. So always give your body plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, etc. (in other words - plant nutrients) when losing fat. This is what will aid your body in detoxing - not some herbal remedy. We are constantly "discovering" new compounds in plants that are healthy for us. Perhaps herbal remedies have been around for centuries because the ability to eat a wide variety of plants on a daily basis is a recent luxury (most herbal remedies are dried - good for storage in the winter months). The compounds in these herbs might be found in a array of our every day fruits and vegetables. I think herbal remedies are a waste of money if your have access to a variety of fruits/vegetables and are relatively healthy.

As for enemas - why do this to yourself unless you are impacted with stool? (And in that case please see a doctor). There is no physiological reason to "cleanse" your large intestine. It is design to cleanse itself. Every day, dead skin cells are sloughed off of your skin and new cells are produced. Thus, your skin is constantly renewed and pushing the dead cells to the surface. It's the same with your intestines. You are constantly sloughing off the surface of your intestines. Nothing can be stuck there for years or months as some claim. The best thing you can do is eat enough fiber to keep things moving. Certainly, human stool contains some toxic substances and the less time that comes in contact with your intestinal lining, the better. That's one reason why those who eat lots of plant foods have less chance of colon cancer - things move more quickly. When you give yourself an enema (or whatever name you choose to use) then you run the very real risk of removing the protective mucus lining of the intestines along with needed beneficial bacteria.

And now the water myth. There is no scientific basis to how many glasses of water you should drink per day. Your body does not differentiate between the H2O in food and the H2O in a glass of water. If you eat foods with a high water content then your body might require very little water in its "pure" form. Juice, coffee, tea, soda, beer, fruit, vegetables - they all contain water that your body can use. Sure, some of them contain other substances and some have a very mild diuretic effect but they all contain usable water.

Just my two cents.

As for detoxing. I don't believe in it. It's a huge industry and therefore there is a lot of information out there in favor of it. Your body can detoxify itself without any help unless you are VERY sick (like kidney failure, for instance).

Many things in your body can be considered toxins. Carbon dioxide, for instance. Well, every time you exhale you detoxify by exhaling carbon dioxide. Every cell in our body expels toxins. Toxins in our blood are processed through our livers and kidneys, for the most part. If your organs are healthy then no need to worry. There are certainly some toxic materials that become incorporated into our bodies, stored mostly in our fat. You can't very well pull out toxins that are imbedded in your bones or muscle very readily - although I'm sure there's a product out there that claims to do just that while somehow not disrupting the matrix of those tissues. But you can get rid of toxins in your fat - by losing fat. Keep in mind that when you burn fat you do let loose into your bloodstream whatever toxins and free radicals are in that fat. So always give your body plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, etc. (in other words - plant nutrients) when losing fat. This is what will aid your body in detoxing - not some herbal remedy. We are constantly "discovering" new compounds in plants that are healthy for us. Perhaps herbal remedies have been around for centuries because the ability to eat a wide variety of plants on a daily basis is a recent luxury (most herbal remedies are dried - good for storage in the winter months). The compounds in these herbs might be found in a array of our every day fruits and vegetables. I think herbal remedies are a waste of money if your have access to a variety of fruits/vegetables and are relatively healthy.

As for enemas - why do this to yourself unless you are impacted with stool? (And in that case please see a doctor). There is no physiological reason to "cleanse" your large intestine. It is design to cleanse itself. Every day, dead skin cells are sloughed off of your skin and new cells are produced. Thus, your skin is constantly renewed and pushing the dead cells to the surface. It's the same with your intestines. You are constantly sloughing off the surface of your intestines. Nothing can be stuck there for years or months as some claim. The best thing you can do is eat enough fiber to keep things moving. Certainly, human stool contains some toxic substances and the less time that comes in contact with your intestinal lining, the better. That's one reason why those who eat lots of plant foods have less chance of colon cancer - things move more quickly. When you give yourself an enema (or whatever name you choose to use) then you run the very real risk of removing the protective mucus lining of the intestines along with needed beneficial bacteria.

And now the water myth. There is no scientific basis to how many glasses of water you should drink per day. Your body does not differentiate between the H2O in food and the H2O in a glass of water. If you eat foods with a high water content then your body might require very little water in its "pure" form. Juice, coffee, tea, soda, beer, fruit, vegetables - they all contain water that your body can use. Sure, some of them contain other substances and some have a very mild diuretic effect but they all contain usable water.

Just my two cents.

Great Post DV! Everything you mentioned in your post is something we should all live by, as I do myself 100%. I find your insight objective, but I am a believer of herbs and cleansings as long as they are done in a combination of a healthy lifestyle. I do not need cleansings or herbs anymore in my life, but at one my point in my life i did, due to SERIOUS NEGLIGANCE of my body. I was as skeptical as anyone could be, but they worked, and they worked great! Daily use of the herbs helped with chronic conditions caused from obesity, and 8 colon cleansings helped me lose about 8-10lbs quick and further inspire me to keep on my regime. None of this would have mattered if I didnt stick to a "clean diet" and consume a ridiculous amount of water. I also fasted many times, included daily meditation/chanting, and yoga 3-4 tiimes a week. I'm sure everybody does the best they can, but we should not dismiss these options just because there are "better" ways.

BodhiDave85,

I'm glad you found something that worked for you. It's hard to knock personal experience and generally pointless to debate on a forum . I try to stick to broad, more objective, "scientific" evidence in my posts. This is never an attack on anyone's personal experience although some get very passionate about defending the personal and attacking what are perceived as my "conventional medicine" views. I'm glad we can find value in each other's posts.

Just my two cents.

Good post.

Everything has gotten better for me since I started doing 1 gallon or more of water per day.

My back was like an asteroid field of acne until I started hydrating myself properly.

Internet forums aren't always kind to people who know what they are talking about.

Beforewisdom, I may have misread your quote, but to me it seems as if you're insinuating that people who disagree with you don't know what they're talking about. Although I'm not into toxin cleansings and such, I think it's important to keep an open mind and be respectful of people with opposing viewpoints. There are some who would say we as vegans don't know what what we're talking about, because our beliefs are different.

Mike

Mike,

Not that BeforeWisdom needs anyone to speak for him, but I don't think he was making a negative statement. I think it was intended for me (perhaps as a wink in my direction - but I could be wrong) because I have gotten into heated debate in the past with people who were giving potentially dangerous nutritional advice (IMO) without much nutritional/physiological education.

I think we all value differing opinions on this forum but some of us find more value in what we consider substantiated opinions and theories. And we can seem very opinionated or unbending when we insist on proof to back things up. Certainly, every theory starts with an untested opinion so it's always important to have an open mind with new ideas.