Program Using the VeganEssentials 5x5

Mike

In another thread VeganEssentials told me about a rep scheme, which I now refer to as the VeganEssentials 5x5. I think I've found a way to incorporate it into my training plan. Here's what I've come up with; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :

Mon am: Bent-over rows 5x5, working up to top set of 5

Mon pm: a few rounds on punching bag

Tue am: short run

Tue pm: Squats 5x5, working up to top set of 5

Wed am: Incline bench 5x5, working up to top set of 5

Wed pm: a few rounds on punching bag

Thur am: short run

Thur pm: Romanian deadlifts 5x5, working up to top set of 5

Fri am: rest

Fri pm: a few rounds on punching bag

Sat: rest and eat

Sun: long run

I'm going on a Grand Canyon hike in late March, so I'm trying to build some cardiovascular endurace along with strength so I don't get stuck at the bottom .

Mike

Not a bad plan at all for keeping it simple

I kept it at 2 exercises per body part, but that's not to say you can't keep it VERY simple by doing just one for a bit to test it out. With one exercise per body part, you should be able to complete your lifting within around 15 minutes, so you certainly won't have any trouble finding time to get that part of your training in

Keep posted about how it goes - remember, sets should feel like this -

1st warm-up - something you could probably get 12-15 reps with

2nd warm-up - something you could probably get 8-10 reps with

1st working set - tough, but not to failure, probably get one more rep if you fought for it a bit

2nd working set - tougher, again no failure, but one more rep would have been VERY difficult to envision

3rd working set - all-out, fight for that last rep, heavy enough so that there's NO WAY you could get one more without having to take 10-20 seconds to rest and recover. You don't want to fail, but you want it to be that it's the last good rep you could get without taking a break.

Best of luck with the program!

Thanks again, man! It will be nice to finally be able to work out without needing a calculator or Excel spreadsheet to figure out what I'm lifting. I would like to increase my work capacity by eventually adding another exercise per body part. I'm also toying with the idea of switching to a new exercise for the same muscle group when I start stalling.

For now, like you said, I'm starting off with one just to get used to the program. I've always had a tendency to go all out and end up ruining a program by making it too demanding or too complex, so I'm trying to keep it simple and start out conservatively this time.

I'll let you know how it goes

Mike