Should I take creatine at 17?

hashbrown

Hey guys im a 17 year old vegetarian and am trying to gain a little muscle weight since im over 25 pounds underweight for my height. On my birthday (about 2 weeks ago and have gained 4 pounds since) i started working out on a goal to reach 100 pounds, but soon decided i wanted to reach atleast 115 (im sup post to be 125). Ive started to take whey protein but recently heard about creatine. Unfortunately it turns out its only found in meat so I started researching online to research about it and saw that a lot of people were promoting, called BSN No Xplode. I went to buy it the other day, and tried it out today. After trying it out I wasn't really satisfied so i decided to go online again and look for more reviews and found out there isn't much creatine in it and it isn't really that safe. Im considering going to buy pure creatine, but a not sure if I should do so due to health reasons. Do you think it is safe for me to take creatine, and if so how much or should i just continue to keep working out the way I am and be more patient about results?

For most of the people creatine is perfectly safe if you don't take too much of it. If you have some special medical condition like deficiency in kidneys or liver, don't take it.

There's not much creatine in meat (you'd have to eat it many pounds to get as much as from supplements) and all the creatine you can buy from the stores is artificially produced and thus vegan.

If you're working out the way that you push yourself to the very limit in last reps, creatine can help you out to properly finish 1-2 reps more (because of the quantity of fluids in muscles). You'll break the muscle more and you'll get stronger faster (harder, better ). If you're not pushing to the limit, creatine won't help you much. It may help you to recover a bit faster though.

If you take creatine, don't overdose it. It doesn't help a bit (you'll just pee it out) and it may damage your liver if you take massive overdoses. But, as I said, if taken properly it is totally safe for people without medical conditions. Also, don't expect miracles. For me creatine is a nice touch but I could perform almost as well without it.

5g/day should be enough. That's one full teaspoon.

Edited by tuc

I don't know that much about creatine, but you don't need it to gain muscle. I would like to see where Couture547 read that info on creatine.

I don't use it and I don't think I will, I want to get big and strong on my own, not by using any artificial help.

Btw. whey is not vegan, you can get lots of vegan protein everywhere. Though you don't really need to supplement with protein.

What you do need is to work out hard, eat lots and sleep enough.

You shouldn't take creatine at any age. It's terriable for your liver and kidneys. All it does is add Water weight and give you a little better muscle stamina. Which disapears after you stop taking it. Just lift hard and eat big!! What's your height and weight?

im currently 5 5 and 97 pounds. Thanks for the info guys , i was wondering if taking glutamine would help too. Also is there anything natural I can take that will help me do more reps?

I don't think taking glutamine separately will help you in any way. There's enough glutamine in body for normal training for most people and taking more won't help you that much.

Eat more and train hard, that's the best way you can do more reps. And you can do it fast.

I think it's better to spend your money on soy milk or pumpkin seeds than glutamine/taurine/ectectect... as you're only 97 pounds you should concentrate on building some more body mass and muscle, and the only way is to eat more calories than you spend. If you train hard at the same time, you won't get any more fat but you'll become stronger very fast.

- Train as hard as you can, and do it with heavy weights. 3-5 sets of each move 5-8 reps and really push the last reps as hard as you can. Work out 3-4 times a week.

- Eat loads of protein and a lot of fat.

- Remember to rest and sleep enough.

(just as VeganDude said)

If you can't do any more reps after a month, it's a miracle. And that cannot be solved with eating glutamine or any other sports nutrition.

Eating creatine will increase your body mass a bit, but you also need to drink enough to get that extra juice ready to feed your muscles while working out. When you stop eating creatine your body mass will decrease a bit.

i personally love creatine. it helps you do more reps/lift heavier weights and helps my muscles recover faster. plus for me it's a great motivation to drink more water. something i never did before.

about the glutamine, from the research i've seen there is no scientific proof that glutamine would help you in building muscles. it's a non essential amino acid which means the body produces it on its own. but when you get sick the bodys' need for glutamine is higher and supplementing with glutamine during an infection or something like that can be very beneficial. however, i am sure other people here has seen tons of different scientific studies that tells otherwise =)

Choice is yours. I do feel that, when you are taking something, you should know where it is being sourced from. You should know what you consume, put in your body and put on your body always. That's why whole food make sense to me and externally I really don't use anything you'll find at your local drug store or what have you.

So how is creatine manufactured? I once asked myself this also. From my understanding it is made from the process of combining

1. Sodium Sarcosinate

2. Cyanimide

What are these compounds?

Sodium Sarcosinate is also used as a foaming agent and surfactant in shampoos and cleaning agents (makes you think, right) and is derived from sarcosine which is a derivative of glycine, an amino acid (building block of protein).

What you have to remember are that these compounds are synthetics, so you have to think about where your goods are coming from.

Cyanamide is a calcium compound commonly used as a fertilizer, a pesticide and a weed killer.

Combine a foaming/cleansing agent and a fertilizer together, and voila, you have Creatine!

Now I am not using this information to tell you to stay away from the stuff and I am not going to tell you to take it. What I can say is much of what's out there, you'd be surprised where it comes from. The vast majority of synthetic vitamins are gotten from such unnatural methods as such. This is why I generally stay away from most supplementation and anything with synthetic vitamins in them,.

As far as creatine, just look at what you put in and know what you are getting. Choose wisely how much stuff you consume that is 'unnatural'. Balance and moderation. You don't have to live inside of a garden picking off only stuff on the vine but you shouldn't live inside a lab only consuming from their flasks and vats of chemical compounds. A healthy balance lies within your comfort zone and i'm sure it will find you over the years as long as you keep open to what's around you.

As far as creatine's efficacy as a supplement, I have used it many many a times before and it does work. But yes, like aforementioned, it is only going to reward those who work hard. It helps on the last 2 or 3 reps, it helps push past the limit and although the water retention wears off and you shrink afterwards, you potentially stand to gain more strength and size then if you hadn't consumed it after its supplementation is over. That's from my experience, others and studies.

But like I said, be wary of how much unnatural stuff you consume and always know where it comes from (eg. proplyene glycol = in capsules and foods = is also antifreeze coolant). You're ahead of the game just by asking. I took it when I was 17 and I knew nothing. All I knew is that it had just arrived and blown up on the market and it was all the rage.

Hope this helps.........

I don't know that much about creatine, but you don't need it to gain muscle. I would like to see where Couture547 read that info on creatine.

I don't use it and I don't think I will, I want to get big and strong on my own, not by using any artificial help.

Btw. whey is not vegan, you can get lots of vegan protein everywhere. Though you don't really need to supplement with protein.

What you do need is to work out hard, eat lots and sleep enough.

I've read it from many different sources and allso i've taken alot of different cratine brands and have had alot of different Alternative health practictioner muscle test the stuff and every one negativly effected both mine and my friends kidneys and liver. Any thing that is made by made is not good for you. but if getting up a couple extra reps is more important than your health that is your call.

I don't think its really a big deal...just make sure you cycle and don't take it constantly. I was taking creatine from the age of 14 and it worked great for me. I never really experienced any problems from it and I would be taking it regularly now if I was still trying to be really strong.

I personally don't think you should take it. Why? Well, from what I've read, there haven't been any long-term tests done to find possible side effects. People say that it can't be bad since your body produces it natually. Well testosterone is produced naturally, but steroids can lead to sever problems, right?

Creatine and steroids are completely different, I know. I'm not trying to sound or act like I know everything about this stuff, but I would stay away from it. Not only for possible health concerns, but also because it's not a natural way to build muscle.

I'm 16 and I've made some pretty good gains without creatine. The best supplement is food. As for protein, I take gemma protein, which comes from peas.

Good luck gaining weight, man. It's not easy for most people. Just find a good workout plan, eat A LOT, rest, etc.

Peace,

Gerard

I think its a happy healthier medium than taking something illegal. If you just want to be strong don't bother. But if you want to be an elite athlete while middle school students are already taking performance enhancing drugs...the only real way to compete is to do what you can legally. When I was an elite athlete in high school I know I wouldn't have been there without creatine...since I was competing nationally against "kids" taking steroids. of course its healthier to just eat good food but its also healthier to train lightly than it is to train intensely.

IF there are problems they probably will not be permanent. I've not had any issues with after the many containers I've gone through. May as well try it. Only person I know that thinks it will likely cause damage is my buddy's mom, and she doesn't know much about fitness and nutrition other than what she hears on Oprah or wherever it is she digs up this "information"

I don't have any problems with creatine, but if you're not training right and eating enough to gain weight, it's useless for your needs.

If you haven't ironed out the basics nothing can make you get what you want - learn all you can about training and proper diet for weight gain first, worry about supplements later. Before I went vegan, I had months where I scrounged every cent I could to spend something like $200/month on supplements, but since I didn't know squat about training properly and I wasn't eating enough, all it did was make me poor and I dind't gain a thing. At your age, it will never be easier to gain muscle than it is now.

I don't think that a bit of creatine will be dangerous, but if you're just starting out, it's pretty much a waste. You should be able to throw on anywhere from 25-50 lbs. naturally before you'd have to even consider it as a means to push to new limits. Train hard (and smart!), eat everything that's not nailed down, repeat as necessary - it's as simple as that!

thanks, i have a real quick question guys. I feel dizzy and like throwing up after working out sometimes (at most for 20 minutes), how can i prevent this?

What kind of working out? Cardio or weight-lifting? Also, are you eating right afterwards?

I remember last summer when I was doing lots of cardio, if I drank anything besides water afterwards I felt like throwing up but never did. I never knew the cause of it, but I don't think it had any effect on me. Otherwise, I can't really help you out :-\

It could be that you're overworking yourself I think. I know that when I was younger and was put through really tough workouts (whether in phys. ed. or anything else) I would start to cough a lot and feel terrible.

Not sure what to make of it.

Gerard

That can just be a consequence of working hard. Just don't work so hard if it bothers you so much. Otherwise deal with it. There's a point of intensity where everyone would feel this...if you feel it all the time and don't like it...lower your intensity.

What kind of working out? Cardio or weight-lifting? Also, are you eating right afterwards?

Im doing a lot of pushups, crunches, and lunges etc. i do a little bit of weight lifting inbetween.

That can just be a consequence of working hard. Just don't work so hard if it bothers you so much. Otherwise deal with it. There's a point of intensity where everyone would feel this...if you feel it all the time and don't like it...lower your intensity.

Alright well it isnt so bad, it can be cured by just lying down in bed, i just cant watch tv, do homework, stand up, or anything besides relaxing for that matter. thanks

for the dizziness after you workout, i had the same thing when i first started endurance work a few years ago, to get rid of it, make sure you are hydrated, don't eat heavy foods two hours or so before a workout (go for dates or fruit about an hour before for energy), then after the workout, eat a few pieces of fruit or drink 8oz of unsweetened fruit juice. also, i've noticed high protein right after working out brings on the dizziness. most of all, avoid salt and refined crap. might also want to look into a pinched nerve.

hope this helps

sorry for bumping this thread again but since its still young i was wondering about another thing. what type of fats should i eat, currently the only one ive been avoiding is trans fat, and the only thing ive been eating to get some is cheese . what are some sources of fat and what other fats should i avoid?

sorry for bumping this thread again but since its still young i was wondering about another thing. what type of fats should i eat, currently the only one ive been avoiding is trans fat, and the only thing ive been eating to get some is cheese . what are some sources of fat and what other fats should i avoid?

Unsaturated fats are the best for you. These are Omega-3's,6's, and 9's. There are more, but I think these are the main ones that people care about. You get these from nuts, avocados, hemp, flax, açai, olive oil, peanuts, etc.

I would stay away from most saturated fat, although I think some is good for you (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, stay away from cheese. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian too, but dairy/eggs are terrible for you. I keep my consumption so low that some people think I'm a vegan. I'd recommend the same for you.

I would definitely say milk fat is about as bad as it gets...from a health standpoint I'd rather eat chicken fat than milk fat. If you don't overdue saturated fats you should be fine if they're from veggie sources but you can still have too much of any kind of vegan fat so keep it in relative moderation.