Recently Watched

Dr. Pink

saw lots of movies in the past couple of weeks, my favorites :

-Communion : '80's movie with Christopher Walken, best alien movie I've ever seen

-Pirates : by Roman Polanski. Not so good but funny and I like Polanski's work

-The Great Debaters : Denzel Washington's second effort as a director, about racism, KKK, black students and white universities... really good.

-Enlightenment Guaranteed (English title): this was so funny, a social satire showing how pathetic our society is, people are so materialist, with their cell phones, and eating Big Macs. Not different in Japan, where two German brothers go for a trip to visit a buddhist zen monastry and end up begging in the streets and sleeping in a tent near trains.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13: Game of Death- gotta watch it. what would you do for a million dollars?

Automaton Transfusion-ZOMBIE MOVIE...EH

Black Sheep

There are 40 Million Sheep in New Zealand And They're Pissed Off!

With frighteningly grotesque effects courtesy of Peter Jackson's WETA workshop, Black Sheep is a frenzy of severed limbs and manic mutton definitely "not for the weak of stomach"

VERY FUNNY AND GORY!!!

These movies are by Dimension Extremes. Google it and youll find more.

Tiffaney, aka Veganmadre, and I love our Netflix membership, especially since we don't own a tv and haven't ever been to the movies together. What can I say? We're computer nerds.

We really loved:

The Real Dirt on Farmer John - Filmmaker Taggart Siegel paints a fascinating portrait of a man who refused to yield. By transforming his farm into an experimental haven in the late 1960s, John Peterson attracted hundreds of artists, hippies and other political radicals. But when the agriculture crisis of the late 1980s led to the farm's eventual collapse -- and his neighbors publicly branded him a devil worshipper -- most locals thought he'd call it quits. They were wrong. He eventually turns his farm in to an organic CSA!

If you haven't already seen Hair. Is there anybody who hasn't seen Hair?

Hair-On his way to join the Army during the Vietnam War, quiet and conservative Claude (John Savage) travels from Oklahoma to New York City, where he befriends a group of fun Central Park hippies and falls in love with a beautiful society girl named Sheila (Beverly D'Angelo). Directed by Milos Forman, this Broadway musical turned motion picture features the beautiful choreography of Twyla Tharp and hit songs such as "Aquarius."

But, our most recent "addiction" has been Weeds, the Showtime series. Netflix has seasons 1 and 2 and soon season 3.

Weeds-Living the high life as a suburban mom turned pot dealer, Nancy Botwin (Golden Globe winner Mary-Louise Parker) manages motherhood and marijuana on a daily basis. Desperate times call for desperate dealings once Nancy is struck with the need to provide for her family in this hilarious and poignant tale of unique entrepreneurial opportunities. Showtime's hit series co-stars Elizabeth Perkins, in an Emmy-nominated role.

Speaking of weed, we watched Commune the other night. The home movie footage from Black Bear Ranch in the 60's and 70's was fantastic, especially for hippie freaks like us.

Commune-In 1968, Elsa and Richard Marley founded an alternative-living community in the remote Northern California wilderness with the motto "Free Land for Free People." This film tells the story of that intended utopia. Through archival footage and interviews with former residents, director Jonathan Berman explores the problems and realities of communal living and the evolution of a community that endured FBI harassment, cult leadership and more.

Oops, I almost forgot Shortbus. Definitely a must see for anyone who is comfortable exploring the limits of sexuality. Maybe a little graphic for those who aren't.

Shortbus - Director John Cameron Mitchell delivers an unbridled look at the New York City underground, focusing on a group of hipsters who frequent a downtown club renowned for its lascivious ways. Through graphic polymorphous sexual couplings -- and using an ensemble cast composed largely of first-time actors -- the film chronicles each character's erotic journey of self-discovery in a raw and riveting fashion.

Sharkwater - Thought it was just going to explore Sharks but it was about saving sharks and explained the important role of sharks to the survival of the planet. Uncovers shark poachers and explains shark finning. Good story, good doc... watch it.

Africa: The Serengeti: IMAX - narrated by James Earl Jones, who doesn't like listening to that deep powerful voice, captivating.

Discovery Atlas: China Revealed - Cool stuff about China and follows a few different lives of some Chinese individuals. Interesting and worth a peek.

House of Flying Daggers - Fell asleep towards the end, didn't think it was all that great. Worth watching if you like love / kung fu movie combos.

Discovery Atlas: Italy Revealed - Cool stuff about Italy and follows a few different lives of some Italian individuals... yes this review sounds familiar see China Revealed.

Alaska: Spirit of the Wild: IMAX - Short film about Alaska, learned things about Alaska that I did not know before.

OMG, just watched Juno last night... It was an amazing movie.

I laughed the entire movie. I can't believe I haven't seen it til now. You know when they talk up a movie and then you watch it and you wonder what all the fuss was about. I had the exact opposite experience with Juno. Its been talked up and showered with awards and after watching it I'm like... "Damn, it deserved more".

The actors did the most incredible job. Even her best friend was perfectly cast. I loved loved loved the details. Like her stepmom who is an arts-and-crafts seamstress would TOTALLY be wearing a turtleneck under a gawdy sweater or sweatshirt. And every character had all of these rich details that made them unique. I will watch that movie several times just to pick up on more subtleties I didn't get the first time. I was actually jealous of what a good actress the lead character is for such a young age. Man, she is beyond talented.

Amazing script, AMAZING actors and wonderful wonderful details. I absolutely loved this movie!!!!!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Started off bad, decent in the middle, ended bad. Bad special effects, bad script. I had high hopes for this movie as I loved the past 3... I don't want to spoil the movie but the plot was corny. Can't believe its got a 4.1 out of 5 on google's averaged reviews.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Started off bad, decent in the middle, ended bad. Bad special effects, bad script. I had high hopes for this movie as I loved the past 3... I don't want to spoil the movie but the plot was corny. Can't believe its got a 4.1 out of 5 on google's averaged reviews.

Rotten tomatoes is a way better review site fyi.

My girlfriend went to go see it tonight with friends. She lives 6 hours away or I would've gone with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw many good movies lately:

The Tattooist : ok drama-thriller with supernatural phenomenons, spirits, etc. Good movie if you love tattoos.

10 000 B.C : better than what I thought

Immortal : nice French animation movie

Savage Planet: be careful don't watch this one it is of the worst movie I ever saw. Really bad, especially the cheap special effects made on computer.

Shiri: kind of korean Nikita

Colour me Kubrick: this was so funny. John Malkovich portraying a crazy guy that make believe he's filmmaker Stanley Kubrick. Based on a true story.

King of California: reading the synospis I thought it would have been better

Be Kind Rewind: So funny and lots of creativity. It was shot in a small American town and the people in the movie are the real citizens. I love Michel Gondry, a French director that made lots of beautiful music videos such as Bjork's. He made good movies such as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep.

The Other Boley Girl: good drama about the rivality between two sisters for the king of England. One of them gave birth to Queen Elizabeth I.

Rambo IV: I liked it even if it's really violent. I have nothing against violence in movies, it's better to have a dose of fictional violence than causing real violence. Catharsis effect. It's the same story than before, but Stallone adds another dimension as a director director, samething with his latest Rocky. He adds some humanity in a subtile way to old characters.

The Bucket List: comedy with Jack Nicholson. Conventional, academic but still good,

The Take: very good thriller with nice pursuits, actions scenes and drama.

The Contract: not bad. Good thriller in nature.

Tideland: Terry Gilliam movie but Canadian production lol. It's like Alice in Wonderland but more mature, with some junkies, etc. I found it a bit boring, like his other movie about childhood: Munchasen

Toi: a French Canadian movie about sex, love, relationships and separation. Good

The Undisputed I & II: first one : When heavyweight champion James 'Iceman' Chambers lands in prison, the resident gangster arranges a boxing match with the reigning prison champ (played by Wesley Snipes). it wasn't, the actors are doing a good job. But second one was better: this times is with mixed martial arts and in a prison located in Russia. All the actors are great and perform the stunts themselves. Great fight scenes even if over the top.

Normal and Waiter : two awesome foreign movies (german I think) Great screenplay.