Questions about Portland

Dr. Pink

I'm planning on moving soon in the near future. I plan on saving a little bit of money and I am going to move away from my mom( After 23 years ) I plan on studying at a two year college before I move to the city where I want to study the art of acting( Sydney )

Originally my plan was to move to the San Fernando Valley which is about a few hours or so south from where I live. But I've been thinking about alternative options( And I am somewhat terrified to live too close to LA lol ) Well it hit me. What if I moved to Portland?

I thought moving to San Fernando would be the best move. But now that I think about it moving to Portland is actually way better then that idea.

From what I have heard from this place Portland is like the Vegan Capital of America. I remember once I made the speculation to my mother that I speculated that the population there was probably 95 percent Vegan( Although that's probably an exaggeration )

Well anyways. My main question is...There is a Junior College there, right? If so I just might be moving there instead( That is if I can find a job and be able to make enough money to move )

Well anyways. Here's to hoping these plans work out. My plans have changed dramatically over a small time. It went from plans to one day move back to Fairfield( Where all my friends live ) plans to move to Minnesota, Plans to move to Canada and Plans to move to San Fernando. But I have a good feeling about Portland. I know a lot of people there that I'd like to meet

I'm not sure about a Junior college but there are definitely community colleges here. Some of the younger members can give you an idea of the job market in Portland if you don't have a profession yet. I do know that the minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum and it's easy to get around without a car.

As for being vegan in Portland, it is easy. But we're not one big happy family of vegans waiting with open arms for anyone's arrival. (Well, some of us are that way). There are definitely cliques here, even within the vegan community. And two of the local free weeklies bash us vegans on a semi-regular basis. None of that is said to discourage you. I just wouldn't move here based on the vegan-friendly aspect of this city unless there were other good reasons to move here.

Perhaps a visit to the city would be a good idea first, but not during the 2 months of sunshine in the summer. Come in the spring or fall to get a good idea of the weather. Visit the grocery stores, farmers markets, co-ops and restaurants to compare food prices. Then check out the rental market. I don't know what it's like to rent here but I've read some disaster stories (hysterically funny) about finding roommates in this city.

You could probably do a lot of research online but there's nothing like a visit in person.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the wonderful information DV

I will be attending Vegan Vacation. So I can always gather my information that way.

I don't think the weeklies backlashings would affect me any. I was raised in a family of meat eaters. And ever since I became Vegan they have always been there( To ridicule ) So I'm used to the heat

I also wouldn't expect to get along with every single vegan there. Vegans are still people and people are all different.

I'll just have to see when I attend VV.

With all the great vegan shops i'm excited that I could move out to Oregon. Any vegan there that wants to get on my case can shove it, besides they probably are not on this forum. Any good informational websites about OR, that I could check out. Maybe see some pictures or something?

I recommend moving there to work for a year to get instate tuition. Community colleges are always cheaper but tend to be double for out of county residents and triple for out of state residents...at least thats the case in Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania.

i have also been looking into Oregon for once i finished my masters in artificial intelligence programming. It seems to have a great deal of professional jobs and the cost to buy property is in a normal range not inflated like California or what Utah is quickly becoming. The one thing i did notice however was the cost to rent a one bedroom apartment was rather high.

So we shall see in a few years once i finish this damn degree if things look the same for me but it has been something that has occupied my imagination for a few months.

Any good informational websites about OR, that I could check out. Maybe see some pictures or something?

So sorry that this took so long. This is the THIRD time I'm entering this (my laptop died the other two times - just got a new battery). Some random sites and blogs:

www.altportland.com

www.foodfightgrocery.com Check the news section especially.

www.oregonlive.com

www.katu.com

www.portlandtribune.com

www.wweek.com

www.portlandmercury.com

www.stumptownvegans.com

www.veganfabulous.com

www.vegportland.com

If there are any types of sites you are looking for in particular, let me know.

You're welcome.

I did a lot of internet searching before I moved here but there's nothing quite like actually visiting a place. There are lots of outdoor activities around here as well. I didn't post any links that show the coast, mountains or rivers.