Question on technique of Front Squats

I started to incorporate Front Squats into my training regimen. I remember that when I used to do them, I didn't find it difficult to learn the form and get it down.

However, I tried them a few days ago and I couldn't seem to get the form down right. I tried to keep the bar in place but it just seemed to either hurt when it was in place or roll down my arms.

I know the form, I looked it up to make sure I had it but it seems somthing isn't clicking.

Anyone have any pointers for me to do these more efficiently and properly?

By the way, I'm not doing them with much weight either, mainly only because I don't feel confident or comfortable holding the bar in place yet. With only about 95lbs.

thanks....

I had the same probs when I tried them. I ended up nixing the exercise because I was afraid it was bad for my shoulders.

I tried to put the bar more on my collarbone so my shoulders wouldn't hurt so bad, but I don't know if that's advisable. Have you tried the olympic style where you hold the bar in your hands with your elbows pointing forward? I'll keep my eyes and ears open for technique tips. Good luck .

Mike

I dunno, though my shoulder were considerably bigger back then, they aren't exactly small right now. I got plenty of meat on me also. I was trying it out close to my collarbone also and I was keeping the form that way b/c the bar wouldn't roll off but I wasn't so sure about raising the weight and putting pressure on that area like that. I can't remember if I used to do it that way or not.

I just saw those olympic style squats, recently on a video. They look cool but I think i'm going to wait until my regular squats start to kick in solid before I go into more advanced methods. Thank you for mentioning them, though.

Don't know if this will help, but what I tell my clients is to arch their lower back but keep the upper back fairly straight and then try to picture sitting down in a chair that is too far away too reach.

If you visualize that motion it will avoid having your legs come straight down over the kneecap.

So try picturing a chair that is too far away for your butt to reach next time but your still going to try to reach it, accept you can't bend over at the waist while doing it

veggieprincess,

I have heard that analogy and I totally agree. It makes sure you keep proper posture and form. What I was having an issue with, though, was holding the bar in front of me in place with my hands. It doesn't like to stay there for some reason. Maybe if I give an extra emphasis on proper form, it will stay there, I dunno but thank you...

So if you are not holding the bar olympic style, I guess you are using the arms-crossed-BB-style? With both styles the bar should be resting on the shoulder, the key to keeping it stable is to keep the elbows up as much as possible. Are you able to keep the elbows up while you squat down? Perhaps it could be that your whole upper body leans forward as you squat down?

Anyway I would reccomend trying the olympic grip, it will hurt a little in the beginning, but you will get used to it quickly. It is not necessary to grip the bar, having two fingers under it should be enough.

Don't know if this will help, but what I tell my clients is to arch their lower back but keep the upper back fairly straight

That's the key right there, most people have horrible squatting technique - they lean forward and round their back in order to move extra weight. If you have a habit of doing that and you allow it to happen on front squats, kiss that barbell (and possibly your biceps ) goodbye!

That's what's great about front squats though, it issues people an ultimatum - either maintain form or your whole set goes right out the window!

Oh and the whole keeping the bows up thingy is good advice too