Topher and Megan's Mac and "Cheese"

veggymeggy

Last night Topher and I decided to try to make our own mac and 'cheese', but we didn't know how.....I remember seeing a cheese recipe on the forum, but when I went back and read it I wasn't sure if it would be right for mac and cheese so we went on an internet hunt for ideas....

This is what we came up with!

1/4c Tahini

2c water

3T lemon juice

1/2c nutritional yeast

1/3 quick oats

1T onion powder

-Blend all ingredients on high for one minute

-pour into saucepan and cook on med until thickened

It was super easy, I dumped everything in the blender, then into a saucepan, Topher cooked the noodles, then we combined! It turned out really good!

Except - I think it's maybe supposed to be 1 teaspoon onion powder not 1 tablespoon because it's really onion-y .....but still good! It was the perfect consistency, and it made lots! I added lots of hot sauce to mine so it even came out cheesy colored.

But anyway - it was really cheap too. We didn't have the tahini, onion powder, or lemon juice on hand, but we got it all for 4.50, and have plenty left over....we could eat mac and cheese for a month now!

- Oh, and results of the vegan gnocchi sauce with recipes coming soon! After Saturday!

The world's finest mac n yeast recipe from Tyler on Vegan Fitness. This stuff is sooooooooo greattttttt!!!!!!

This is based off a recipe I got from vegweb.com, with some changes in amount of liquids and oil. It is awesome, I often will eat an entire pan of this, 1 lb. of pasta plus sauce, in a span of 12 hours.

1.5 cups plain soymilk

1/3 cup tamari or soysauce or bragg's

1.5 cups nutritional yeast

1 T paprika

1 T garlic powder

salt to taste (I usually use a teaspoon or maybe two at most)

1/2 block of tofu (not the silken kind)

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

a couple T of butter (vegan, of course)

1 dollop of mustard

Mix all those together in a blender or food processor and whip it up. It is a bit liquidy, though it will cook down when added to macaroni and baked in the oven at 350 for 10 or 20 minutes as I do (makes it nice and hot and a little crispy on top). You can also decrease the soymilk to make it a bit thicker, or add a thickening agent, if you please.

This sauce is awesome, at least I think so, this makes a good amount and I use it on pasta, veggies, eat it with a spoon, whatever.

The world's finest mac n yeast recipe from Tyler on Vegan Fitness. This stuff is sooooooooo greattttttt!!!!!!

This is based off a recipe I got from vegweb.com, with some changes in amount of liquids and oil. It is awesome, I often will eat an entire pan of this, 1 lb. of pasta plus sauce, in a span of 12 hours.

1.5 cups plain soymilk

1 T paprika

1 T garlic powder

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1 dollop of mustard

Mix all those together in a blender or food processor and whip it up. It is a bit liquidy, though it will cook down when added to macaroni and baked in the oven at 350 for 10 or 20 minutes as I do (makes it nice and hot and a little crispy on top). You can also decrease the soymilk to make it a bit thicker, or add a thickening agent, if you please.

This sauce is awesome, at least I think so, this makes a good amount and I use it on pasta, veggies, eat it with a spoon, whatever.

Oooh that does sound good. It has a few more ingredients than what we made - which probably makes it better, but as poor as I am I'm always going for least number of ingredients possible to make it as cheap as possible....but I think except for the mustard those are all things we have here anyway, so I'll have to give that version a try!!!!

Oooh that does sound good. It has a few more ingredients than what we made - which probably makes it better, but as poor as I am I'm always going for least number of ingredients possible to make it as cheap as possible....but I think except for the mustard those are all things we have here anyway, so I'll have to give that version a try!!!!

Don't worry about the mustard, I didn't have mustard or paprika the first few times I made it. I substituted with some cayenne and tumeric.

Since then, I have made many variations. I usually leave out the margarine, no change in taste that I notice. I almost always add about 1/2 a pound of green peas, YUM! Once I skipped the pasta and made this with broccoli and potatos! That was really yummy too! You can also just heat up the sauce and pour it over whatever rice, tofu, veg etc. you are having for dinner.

Warning! Be careful, this stuff is addictive!

daywalker - i got this one for ya, dude. you can thank me later.

veggymeggy, daywalker's kichen was incognito. daywalker's girlfriend is a secret spy for the german national organization of gedis so that should explain it. if not, you need to sit and watch all six episode of star wars in a row. you'll be so dumb by that point that you'll believe anything i tell you.

• 1 year later...

1.5 cups plain soymilk

1 T paprika

1 T garlic powder

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1 dollop of mustard

Can you believe I had actually forgotten about this fine creation??? Thanks to Wannalift for reminding me this weekend about Tyler's masterpiece. Tiffaney made some last night along with steamed broccolli. Yum!

Of course she is in the kitchen right now finishing up Tiramisu Cupcakes! I'm sure those will be 'okay' too.

My son and I concocted some baked mac 'n' cheez yesterday and it was just ok. Edible, but not that impressive, in my opinion. (But we made up for it with the utter awesomeness of our chocolate-amaretto silk pie afterwards.)

I think I need to use the recipes from this thread next time... recipes that already have the official thumbs-up.

I just made my own mac and 'cheese' last night, tweaking a recipe that was on the box of pasta.

1 package corn/quinoa pasta (I used the shells)

Cooked with a handful each of frozen organic shitake mushrooms and peas

Add to that a small jar of pimentos, about 1/2 jar of "Chreese" nacho dip (but that seemed too 'nachoey," so to make it a bit more 'cheesy,' I added a couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast).

Mix together, put in a square baking dish, and cruble some multigrain cereal on top, and dab on a bit of "Earth Balance" vegan 'buttery'spread.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Satisfied my craving for pasta. And it was a bit "Christmasy" with the red pimentos and green peas!

• 2 weeks later...

HALF A CUP OF OIL --- Gaaah...

1.5 cups plain soymilk

1 T paprika

1 T garlic powder

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1 dollop of mustard