MMA on CBS

looks like you could see Kimbo Slice fighting on CBS!

click below for full story:

CBS to Air MMA Live in Primetime

"The CBS Television Network and ProElite Inc. announced a multi-year deal on Thursday that would make Elite Xtreme Combat, the mixed martial arts promotional arm of ProElite, available in primetime on major network television.

Four two-hour Saturday evening specials will air live on CBS in 2008."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I never thought this would happen. I have cable so it makes no difference to me but its great that a major network is willing to show this during prime time.

it was probably just a matter of time.

UFC has become so popular and accepted on TV, eventually one of the major networks had to bite.

don't think the original UFC rules would fly though

^definitely not. haha!

even with these new rules and regulations, i am wondering how the usual CBS viewers will react when they see this.

"Next it's Andy Rooney on 60 minutes...

coming up after that... KIMBO SLICE!"

http://boxingfanatics.com/ubb/Avatars/kimbo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

seems the first official fights for the CBS debut of Elite XC have been announced. Phil Baroni vs. Ninja Rua, Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith, and Kimbo Slice vs. to be announced. the debut is set to happen on May 31.

i also heard that Tito Ortiz wants to go to Elite, to get a rematch against Frank Shamrock. he has one more fight on his UFC contract, which will be against Lyoto Machida, then he is free to sign with Elite. that should be interesting.

I've been hearing that Mark Cuban is getting involved in MMA.

Is this factual? Which organization?

i remember reading about this as well. i think he wanted to promote some events on HDNET, which he owns. here, i found an article on it. he's got enough money to sign some major talent. maybe something may come out of this.

speaking of which, i hear a rumor that Tim Sylvia is leaving the UFC. his contract is up, so he may sign with Elite. so maybe we'll see Tim on CBS too.

• 2 weeks later...

Kimbo's next opponent has been announced!

it will be James "The Colossus" Thompson.

Thompson... he's got a spotty record, he has lost 3 of his last 4 fights. but he has a lot of experience fighting some top competition in big promotions like Pride FC. i have to say i like the way Kimbo is working his way up, fighting better competition with each fight. he is not trying to jump into deep waters right away and fight a top 10 ranked heavyweight right away. unlike some other fighters who use their celebrity status to get a fight with an ex champion in only their second professional fight *coughbrocklesnarcough*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

tomorrow is the big debut for Elite XC. a lot of people of work have been buzzing about it. and its been getting all sorts of coverage in the news, mostly because of Kimbo Slice. he got the cover of ESPN magazine and news stories all over the place, like this one. don't know how deserving of such coverage, he's only had two professional fights after all. but it is building up a lot of hype so it should get good ratings.

everyone can watch it for free on CBS!

I was excited to watch this and the first few fights were short but entertaining but I was pretty disappointed by the last two being needlessly called off. I kind of think they were afraid their new ratings draw, Kimbo, was gonna get beat and so they called it when the Colossus' ear got popped.

once again the ladies put on an impressive fight. Gina Carano and Kaitlin Young put on the best example of MMA of the night IMO. when it went to the ground there was submission attempts (Gina's attempt the gogoplata!) and stand up was a MuayThai clinic. great fight.

Lawler vs. Smith had the makings of an epic fight. i had it even going into the 3rd, one rd a piece. it's just a damn shame about the doctor stoppage after the accidental eye poke. i think they should have given smith the full 5 mins to recover. i think maybe CBS was scared of an eye gouging out on natl primetime television. you could see the disappointment in both of their eyes. at least it was declared a no contest. neither of the fighters wants a win or a loss that way.

thompson vs. slice. first off, DID YOU SEE THAT EAR?! AND already lots of controversy. Brett Rogers who won earlier that night by KO, said he saw Kimbo tap out. Rogers called Kimbo out at the press conference. lots of people are also saying the fight should have been stopped right at the end of the 2nd rd, when Thompson was elbowing the hell out of Kimbo in the crucifix. a minute of unanswered blows to the head, but it was let go. and of course, you got the people who think the fight was stopped early to ensure that Kimbo gets the win, apparently he was behind in the scorecards and would have lost a decision. Kimbo definitely needs more work, he definitely wouldn't last long against a good BJJ fighter.

and the numbers are in, and this event pulled in 4.3 million viewers! so hopefully they will have another one soon.

thompson vs. slice. first off, DID YOU SEE THAT EAR?! AND already lots of controversy. Brett Rogers who won earlier that night by KO, said he saw Kimbo tap out. Rogers called Kimbo out at the press conference. lots of people are also saying the fight should have been stopped right at the end of the 2nd rd, when Thompson was elbowing the hell out of Kimbo in the crucifix. a minute of unanswered blows to the head, but it was let go. and of course, you got the people who think the fight was stopped early to ensure that Kimbo gets the win, apparently he was behind in the scorecards and would have lost a decision. Kimbo definitely needs more work, he definitely wouldn't last long against a good BJJ fighter.

I buy into the conspiracy theory that they wanted to ensure Kimbo's victory if possible. I thought the whole thing was b.s.. It looked to me like Kimbo may have been trying to tap out too. I will say it was impressive that he didn't totally lose consciousness taking all those elbows though!

Kimbo wasn't tapping he was giving the ref a thumbs up like "I'm ok don't stop it".

Honestly I was pretty disappointed with the whole show. Seems like the ref was stopping fights a little quick.like somebody was being a little cautious since we have new viewers. I dunno, just my theory.

That whole show made me depressed.

All the fights were stopped way to early (even the girls) and the stars all got the benefit of the doubt so they could pull out and win.

If the same thing that was happening to Kimbo Slice happened to anyone else for that long of period, the fight would have been stopped.

Im giving all respect to the fighters, and NONE to CBS and Elite XC this time. They need to get their act together if they think old school MMA fans are going to go for this.

Throughout the night it felt like I was watching the WWE or something, with all the stage shows. And cheerleaders!? For crying out loud!

Now, my impressions of the fighters. Kimbo needs to get in better shape. He wouldnt last seconds in the ring with any of the top rated UFC heavy weights. Other than that, he still remains someone I LOVE to watch, and I am glad he is moving up in the ranks, instead of trying to go top tier too soon. I definately think he is someone to look out for.

The girls were amazing, and provided the most exciting action of the night. I still think the fight should of gone the third round, the doctors seemed to not want too much blood on live CBS television, a reason why it seemed they stopped most of the fights early.

Scott Smith impressed me, and, just as almost all the fights, we were cheated out of a great fight because the doctors didnt follow the rules. HE HAD 5 MINUTES to recuperate. Give him the full 5.

I am soooo happy Joey Villasenor beat that fucker Baroni. (sorry for the language, I HATE HIM.) Although, once again, I thought the fight was stopped to early.

i agree that the cheerleaders and the fireworks made it a little too WWE-ish. and their does seem to be some to be some special treatment being given to Kimbo. me and all my friends all thought the fight was going to be stopped in the 2nd. i agree, it probably would have been stopped anywhere else. but they really needed their star to win. so he won, but not in the dominant fashion they were hoping for. it will be interesting to see who they put Kimbo up against next. after that performance, there is now a huge line of fighters that want to fight Kimbo because they know they can beat him. i'm guessing the hype machine will put the drama from the press conference up front, and work the rivalry between Bret Rogers and Kimbo Slice. Rogers has also fought Thompson, and knocked him out in the first rd. something Kimbo couldn't do in 3 rds.

i think the fact that this was on a major network for the first time contributed to the doctor stoppages. but i don't think the stoppage takes anything away from the fighters. that's the fault of the network and the doctors. the fighters were willing and ready to put on a good show, which they did until the doctor stopped it. Smith should definitely have been given his 5 min recovery time, and Robbie Lawler would be the first to agree to that. but there's always the rematch. and for the network, that means more ratings.

they are talking about having another one as soon as august or september. hopefully they will have made a few changes by that time.