Can't stop eating

Once I start it's on - I don't know how to turn it off. This has been goin' on for well over 6 months. There was a point a few months ago where I wouldn't stop eating until I felt like I was going to burst. And, at that point I was dropping weight.

I consulted my physician about it, and he claims it's "probably" normal. And that my body must be in need of food. I also had blood work when I was there that indicated I had a rather low white cell count. Even after a retest it came back the same. Don't know if there's any correlation there? I guess a better question is why the hell am I rambling about this on here?

Do you feel weak all the time???

Yes. I think my work environment may have a lot to do with it also. I work in a small space surrounded by 3 very loud industrial machines. I have to stand and work at a counter - bend, lift, and load shit on these machines 8 hours a day. Im not crying, just sayin' its not exactly like folding shirts at the gap.

What kinds of foods are you eating??? Normally for myself...very fibrous foods do the trick for things like that.
I thought I was getting enough fiber. I have oatmeal almost every morning. Sometimes substituted with nature's path cereal.

I usually take a couple bananas and whatever other fruit i have in to work. Along with a lunch thats usually an almond/peanut butter sandwich. Sometimes some quinoa, black beans split pea soup - or whatevers left over from dinner the previous night.

Dinner: quinoa, black beans, or lentils with tempeh or tofu. Plate of steamed veggies.

Late night snack: almond/peanut butter sandwich, a bowl of cereal, a smoothie - sometimes all of the above.

There's other things I eat which I didn't list. But, I think I have a pretty decent variety to my diet.

Staples in my diet are probably:

tempeh

quinoa, lentils, black beans, brown rice

steamed frozen veggies

- lots of broccoli, and spinach

apples

strawberries

mangos

kiwis

bananas

cherries

oranges

blueberries

basically everything but melons - hate melons.

what about hydration?

Are you drinking enough water?

I've found that drinking tea staves off my hunger.

Every so often I get those days though... I know where you're coming from

I only drink water. I take a 2 liter to work, and usually drink half of it. Then the rest throughout the day.

another thing you can try is having 2 more "mini meals" during your day.

have a fibre rich snack mid morning, and another mid afternoon.

It really works!

I've definitely noticed that on days where I don't do this, I'm just RAVENOUS!!!!!!

i've had the same "problem" with not being able to stop eating once i start since giving up caffeine (coincidence?), but i think it is a blood sugar issue since a small glass of juice or a piece of fruit about fifteen minutes before a meal helps

another thing you can try is having 2 more "mini meals" during your day.

have a fibre rich snack mid morning, and another mid afternoon.

It really works!

I've definitely noticed that on days where I don't do this, I'm just RAVENOUS!!!!!!

I do that. In between breakfast, and lunch i have fruit, and maybe some granola or a bar. Then the same between lunch, and dinner. But those mini meals turn into giant meals. What are you suggesting for a fiber rich snack?

I know oatmeal is supposed to be so fulfilling, and satisfying. But, it just makes me crave, and junk afterwards.

Maybe you try making really fibrous wraps...filled with kale, collards, alfalfa...then mix in some fatty pumpkin seeds and a filling dressing.

Do you chew enough what you eat?Eating without good chewing(more than 50 times) especially fruits can lead to many problems including unstoppable hunger..

Also if i were you i would buy a glucose test kit and measure my blood every 2 hours for a day or two to see in what levels it is...

Do you chew enough what you eat?Eating without good chewing(more than 50 times) especially fruits can lead to many problems including unstoppable hunger..

Also if i were you i would buy a glucose test kit and measure my blood every 2 hours for a day or two to see in what levels it is...

I do have a tendency to eat fast. So, I really try to focus on lots of chewing.

I've been concerned that one of my problems may be hypoglycemia. The last two times I saw my physician my glucoses's were drastically different. The first time I went I had a big hearty bowl of oatmeal and my glucose was 58 the second time was a 12 hour fasting blood sugar, and it came back normal at 85.

I've been concerned that one of my problems may be hypoglycemia. The last two times I saw my physician my glucoses's were drastically different. The first time I went I had a big hearty bowl of oatmeal and my glucose was 58 the second time was a 12 hour fasting blood sugar, and it came back normal at 85.

From my personal experience i know that the blood sugar levels change very fast..The only way to find out is by measuring it by yourself..

Also i suspect that you may have intolerance in many foods..It would be a good idea to have a food intolerance test..

From my personal experience i know that the blood sugar levels change very fast..The only way to find out is by measuring it by yourself..

Also i suspect that you may have intolerance in many foods..It would be a good idea to have a food intolerance test..

I'm not familiar with food intolerances. So, Im off to research those.

That sounds like an thyroid disorder, did they check your thyroid levels?

That was a concern. Tested negative for thyroid disorders.

• 5 weeks later...

Im an idiot. All I had all day at work was a clif bar. So, I came home pretty hungry. Ate the following:

1/2 cup of oatmeal with raisins

about 2 servings of Natures Path Optimum Slim with raisin

1 piece of sprouted bread with almond butter

about 2 servings of kashi crackers with hummus

Probably more stuff Im forgetting about. Thats carb madness. Punch me.

Three loaves-if all you ate ALL day was a cliff bar then I don't think you ate a huge amount of calories really. One cliff bar is not enough to fuel you and your body/brain is going to react by freaking out and making you eat everything that isn't nailed down. When I go too low in calories or fat then you had better hide your baby 'cos I'm gonna eat it. I go into a feeding frenzy and can't stop until I have gone beyond what probably would have been the actual calories needed.

What is your daily calorie/fat target?

I think you can have symptoms of hypoglycemia without being able to obtain a clinical diagnosis. Eating frequently, honoring hunger even if I don't think it is time to be hungry and balancing protein/carbs/fat is what helps me. Also, caffeine f's with blood sugar-avoid/minimize it.

Good luck

mieke

Three loaves-if all you ate ALL day was a cliff bar then I don't think you ate a huge amount of calories really. One cliff bar is not enough to fuel you and your body/brain is going to react by freaking out and making you eat everything that isn't nailed down. When I go too low in calories or fat then you had better hide your baby 'cos I'm gonna eat it. I go into a feeding frenzy and can't stop until I have gone beyond what probably would have been the actual calories needed.

What is your daily calorie/fat target?

I think you can have symptoms of hypoglycemia without being able to obtain a clinical diagnosis. Eating frequently, honoring hunger even if I don't think it is time to be hungry and balancing protein/carbs/fat is what helps me. Also, caffeine f's with blood sugar-avoid/minimize it.

Good luck

mieke

It just seems like every time I eat it's a frenzy.

I don't really know what my calorie target is. I tried to stop counting cause it was driving me mad. Anytime I felt like I ate too much I would feel obligated to run a few miles or go cardio crazy.

Im pretty scrawny: about 5' 8" and finally broke 120 lbs. Note: thats probably on a full stomach, soakin wet.

I've been tested for hypoglycemia, thyroid, all that fun stuff. Its all coming back negative. The only concern right now is some sort of auto immune disease because i have a moderately low white blood cell count.

Caffeine isn't a problem for me. All I drink is water.

• 2 weeks later...

Greens seem to be helping me out. I usually just throw spinach in whatever Im eating. I also picked up some of trader joe's green protein smoothies. Im still feeling really full all the time though. My digestion is rubbish. Im lucky if I unload once a day.