Computer Probs

Mike

My computer has been running very slooooowwwwllllyyyy lately, and I'm afraid some sort of virus/spyware may be to blame. I already have AVG Free and Spybot installed, both of which haven't detected anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might clean my system out a bit?

Mike

crap cleaner: http://filehippo.com/download/9e7bd73cd3f2bc103c4811454ff9c693/download/

ad-aware: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlpid=10045910

That should be a good start. You may want to invest in a good anti virus program like Kaspersky, Pc-Cillin, or Zone Alarm. Report back, or mail me if you have any questions.

Sometimes older computers run slowly because the innards have accumulated a lot of dust, particularly the fan. Take the back off and clean the dust out with an old toothbrush. You can also try one of those compressed air cans. Do it in the garage or out on a porch. You will be removing a lot of dirt.

If it is a windows box defrag it. Also make sure your virus software is updated.

Back up your data too. Until you know what is going on and its fixed you may be in danger of losing it.

Thanks, BW! My comp is older than a few of my relatives, so it may be time for a cleaning and defragging. My antivirus software is up-to-date and hasn't detected anything, so maybe this is more a case of "old age" and dust. I'll check it out.

Mike

I like to back up all data onto an external hard drive and wipe out the main drive and then reinstall programs. Computer always runs like lightning afterwards though it is kind of a pain in the a$$.

Other than that, I use Zone Alarm (the pay version)

A computer tech friend of mine also installed 'SuperAntiSpyware' onto my system, and it's free. He said it's good..

Thanks, Jack! I love the name "SuperAntiSpyware." With a name like that, it must be good . I'll have to check it out. I haven't had a chance to do any work on it yet, but I'm making this Saturday my computer cleaning day. Good times!

Nice avatar. Where was that pic taken?

Mike

Dude!! How did I not recognize that license plate??? What an awesome view at the top of Camelback Mountain. I've just gotten into hiking; there are so many great places to hike around here. On the 21st, I'll be hiking at the Grand Canyon. Here's hoping I'm in decent shape .

Sorry about getting off-topic. That view was just so cool that I had to find out where it was.

Mike