How Many Hours a week do you spend at work?

sydneyvegan

How Many hours per week do you work?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am usually at work for around 45 hours a week so I'm just wondering how many hours a week people work (I mean the time you are actually at your job, not something you think of as work, but actually isn't)

I realise this might sound like me making excuses, but when you work a full time job, add on commuting, general household stuff required to live your life - washing, ironing, cleaning etc, sport - which for me is an additional 6 hours a week at least, then trying to have a social life and/or a partner I think I do really well to get to the gym 5 times per week.

I just have a bit of a theory that some of the physiques on here that we all look at and marvel over, don't belong to people who work full time etc, let alone in an office job.

I know when I was studying I had a much better body than I have now, and I thought I was super busy then!!!!

For me, getting to the gym for an hour a day isn't difficult. It's getting a good nights sleep to actually make the training worthwhile that's really been a challenge for me.

As for me, I spend a minimum of 30 hours a week, and usually hit 40 hours a week as a fulltime student. The worst part is the irregular hours and the intense mental/emotional stress. Graduation can't come soon enough...

After that I look forward to only being a slave during regular hours and only stressing between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm...maybe.

Yeah, life can be hectic, but that's part of what makes it fun. I work 40 hours per week and am pursuing an MBA, so I can relate to you guys. I've just decided to make time for my physical fitness. A came across a study once that stated that a person who exercises regularly is able to accomplish in 7 hours what would typically take a "non-exerciser" 8 hours. So, in a way, we're saving time by making time to train.

SV, if you want a physique people are going to marvel over, I guess you'll just have to train more in less time.

Mike

It's all about priorities for me. Right know I don't work as much as I want to. I work just under 30 hours a week, and yeah I go to school too. And I do wash the occasional load of laundry and cook, who doesn’t. As far as a social life, we go out about once a week. I always want to have more of a social life, but the truth is I just don't like people enough. You have to make time to workout. Not that I'm anything special in fact I'm in much worse shape than you and pretty much everyone else on here. I think going to the gym 5 times a week is really good! Anyhow that is way more than you ever wanted to know.

Yeah, life can be hectic, but that's part of what makes it fun. I work 40 hours per week and am pursuing an MBA, so I can relate to you guys. I've just decided to make time for my physical fitness. A came across a study once that stated that a person who exercises regularly is able to accomplish in 7 hours what would typically take a "non-exerciser" 8 hours. So, in a way, we're saving time by making time to train.

SV, if you want a physique people are going to marvel over, I guess you'll just have to train more in less time.

Mike

Some people think I look alright...

I'm also one of the strongest people on this forum, apart from people like veganessentials and Jonathan.

I guess it just feels like no one on this forum really notices or respects the amount of effort it takes to maintain this year after year.

I fit alot into the limited time I have in the gym and I go as hard as anyone else (Robert can testify to that)

I've definitely cut out my social life outside of the forum. I work a little under 30hours a week but stick around after being clocked out a few more hours on top of that. However my whole work schedule is based purely on my training. If I want to train more then I will...it doesn't matter if they cut my hours in half if that means my training goes better...but so far I've been lucky and found a nice mix of work and training.

I've worked 30 hours and (currently) 40 hours per week. You definitely have to give up some things if training is a priority when working full time. There are 3 nights out of the week now that I do not eat with my husband and I find a gym everywhere we travel. If I were single and had a social life then it would only be alive on the weekends.

I work full time at Turku School of Economics as a project planning officer and research assistant. In the evenings I teach breakdance 4h/week and I have some other projects taking 5-10h per week.

I think that's about 50h/week. Also, I try to study at the same time to get my master's degree some day.

I'm mentally exhausted all the time. Luckily I started lifting weights, it's very relaxing and It's something I really enjoy to do.

I'm also an active member of the Green party and I'm involved in loads of student organization stuff but I don't count that as work.

I work full-time, usually in the office just around 40 hrs a week. Commute is nearly an hour each way.

My other big time-suck is roller derby. I have three 2-hr practices a week. With travel (it can take ages to travel across London) each practice is about 5 to 6 hours of my day. I am also one of the directors of our league and am on committees, so aside from practices there are meetings to attend and endless e-mail communications to settle things and other derby duties.

The biggest issues, though, are finding somewhere to work out near home--it would be impossible fit working out in if I had to travel for it--and the cost.

My dream is to have my own power cage at home so that cost and travel are not issues! But for that we'd need some space in our flat, which is also incredibly hard to come by in this city.

I really miss lifting weights.

55 hours a week at two jobs. I'm in the gym about 2 hours a week total. Maybe 1:30 if I can go fast.

Throw in some dodgeball 2 nights a week, dancing x2 also, and a football game a week and that's my fitness regimen.

Working: Currently about 55 hours a week (it varies from about 45 to 55 in the winter and 55-70 in the summer.)

Training: 4.75 hours per week (Avg)

Eating: 19.25 hours per week (Avg)

Preparing Meals: 10.25 hours per week (Avg)

Sleeping: 49 hours per week (Avg)

Traveling time: 5 hours per week (Avg)

Maintenance: (shower, teeth, etc): 3.5 hours per week (Avg)

Cleaning (laundry, etc.) : 6 hours per week (Avg)

Total time: 152.75 hours committed

Total time leftover from 168 hours a week: 15.5 per week...

On my day off from work and training and if I don't travel anywhere, I use up about 12 hours of that free time, leaving an average of about 30 minutes of free time every other day of the week.

I work full-time, usually in the office just around 40 hrs a week. Commute is nearly an hour each way.

My other big time-suck is roller derby. I have three 2-hr practices a week. With travel (it can take ages to travel across London) each practice is about 5 to 6 hours of my day. I am also one of the directors of our league and am on committees, so aside from practices there are meetings to attend and endless e-mail communications to settle things and other derby duties.

The biggest issues, though, are finding somewhere to work out near home--it would be impossible fit working out in if I had to travel for it--and the cost.

My dream is to have my own power cage at home so that cost and travel are not issues! But for that we'd need some space in our flat, which is also incredibly hard to come by in this city.

I really miss lifting weights.

Hey Liz,

I've missed seeing posts from you...

It sounds like you really get what I mean, and why I started this post.

Sports - roller derby, volleyball, Rugby, it doesn't matter what they are really take up a lot of your time. If you happen to be on a commitee for your sports club as well it takes up even more of your time ( I was on the committee for my volleyball club until last week, in the end something had to give and I resigned)

When you throw in an office job and then commuting across the city there goes the majority of your day (12 hours in my case).

I guess I am lucky that my gym has multiple branches around where I work and between work and home, so I can still get to the gym.

I've notice a few people jokingly, and also not so jokingly suggest that I give up any sort of social life I might have. My reponse to this is that I'm trying to get a balance in my life between, work, Gym, sports, friends and also relationships. I think it is very unhealthy and also ultimately not a healthy or happy way to live your life if you don't have some sort of balance (Ummm I'm guessing maybe that is why the single vegans section of this site keeps on ticking over).

Anyway, the reponses to this have been interesting.

commuting across the city

That's a killer. I wish I had a car sometimes but I've worked things out enough that I'm only 10 minutes away from both my jobs by bus. And don't give up your social life, maybe if it was a couple month thing (ie like my second job). It's tough. I def, here you and formica on the transportation time issue and wanting time for a partner/social life. My schedule probably only works out because I'm on a dating hiatus right now.

-Aaron

I work ~60 hours a week. Typically 10hrs a day during the week, and another hour or so during the evenings doing email and a few hours on the weekends wrapping up projects and such.

It is a lot of work, and can be high stress at times, but I enjoy it.

Training right now is 3-4 yoga sessions a week (1.5hrs each) and 3 weight workouts per week (1 hour each). I might run for 20 minutes 2x week if I feel motivated....

Commuting is one of my biggest non-work time commitments. 30-45 minutes in the morning, and 45min-1.5 hours in the evening.

A 40 hour week is a light week for me. Most weeks it's around 50-60 hours total, during newsletter weeks or conference time it can be 70 without a problem. Basically, I roll out of bed, make a smoothie for my wife and myself, then head to the computer, and the last thing I see is the computer to go sort and forward email at anywhere from 4 to 6 AM before turning in. This past week I had no time off - Saturday put about 4 hours under my belt, Sunday was a solid 10 hour day as well. In my line of work, there is no such thing as a day off, because even when I've been on vacation in Jamaica, I was still spending an hour or two each day on the resort computer doing customer service and keeping in touch with our office to make sure things are running smoothly. It's just part of the game, I guess, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

I usually end up lifting 2-3 days/week when I'm not down with my eye surgery stuff or injuries, then I try to get a good walk in at least twice weekly. I always figure, if I can find time, anyone else should be able to. But, I have no social life anymore since all my friends decided to cease doing anything other than staying home every weekend, so I guess that fact gives me a lot more time to put toward work.

Is it impractical to employ more people?

Not necessarily impractical, but when you "raise your baby" from the start, you just can't quite feel like giving too much control out when you feel you can always do some things the best. It's been said that eventually you have to give up most things to others when you get too busy, but that's never stopped me from trying to do everything myself

Also, anything to keep costs down so that we don't have to jack up prices to our shoppers is good, but sometimes it means doing a LOT more on my time than I expect. If people only knew how little you make on most vegan products after all the costs are paid (shipping losses, employee salaries and benefits, advertising, rent and utilities, equipment, shipping supplies etc.) they'd think we were crazy for doing what we do. Just the price of owning a business.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant, that it would raise costs too much. I know what you mean about not wanting to get filthy outsiders involved in your pet project, that's totally understandable, I have the same mentality with a lot of my own projects, especially my music

But it sounds like it's a real pain in the B-tocks man, is there nobody around that you feel you could let in and share some of the pain? You could make them take part in some horrific initiation ritual to make sure they've got what it takes.

Work 24 hours a week for my church, basically a front desk sort of job I guess you could say. Anyway this gives me the time to get to the gym 6 days a week. Before I moved to the 3 bedroom apartment I could walk to work, and the gym. But now I have to depend on rides, or take the bus.

Time at the gym is probably around 20 hours a week. I study a lot there while I wait for my ride. I love being there more than at home. It's quieter!

Studying personal training book about 10 hours a week. Done at the gym.

The rest of my time is spent sleeping, eating, and doing stuff with my family. I wish I had time for a social life, although I'm not a very social person.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant, that it would raise costs too much. I know what you mean about not wanting to get filthy outsiders involved in your pet project, that's totally understandable, I have the same mentality with a lot of my own projects, especially my music

But it sounds like it's a real pain in the B-tocks man, is there nobody around that you feel you could let in and share some of the pain? You could make them take part in some horrific initiation ritual to make sure they've got what it takes.

I actually did have someone here who I was grooming to take over a good deal of my maintenance work, but unfortunately she flaked out and we had to agree that it was time for her to move on. The podcast she was working on started to get national attention, she was on TV a bunch of times, and her heart wasn't in working for us any longer. When the person who is supposed to be taking over your duties spends more effort on phone interviews during work hours for her side project than what she's supposed to be doing, it gets old pretty quick. Since then I've been a bit soured on passing things along, but I'm sure that will change in the next few months. I always hit a burnout point that forces me to get someone new on our team, and I don't doubt that time will come by summer.

Are you looking for someone full time...I can imagine you'd probably do well with someone that has great management experience that would only need to work 3 days a week at most(at least for now).

Well, the person who left recently had moved from full-time to part-time to pursue her other interests, and truthfully, her drop in hours didn't hurt all that much. It wasn't bad to have someone part-time, except that she also answered the phones and made a lot of ingredient inquiries to vendors for us, which took up most of her time and left little to do the work I needed to pass on. When we're looking to bring someone new in, it'll probably just be something like 20-25 hours/week to start and we'll kind of take things as they go. As long as I can pass a lot of the maintenance stuff on (people asking general questions, responses that can easily be off templates from questions that are already answered on our site info, etc.) it'll save me a lot of time, but right now I'm doing 95% of the email support, which is draining since it's been really busy with questions.

After all my spring travels are done it'll probably be time to look into finding someone who is anxious to learn the ropes around the VE office for service and product research!

It's such a specialized area of work, and such a well-known company amongst vegans (I think?) that I would have thought you'd be able to find someone willing to devote themselves to it. If there was somewhere around here like that, I would be all over it! It's so rare to find an actual vegan job