Inspirational Movies

Mike

Three movies that have really made a significant impact on me have been 1) Peaceful Warrior 2)What the Bleep Do We Know? and 3) Waking Life.

I'm trying to find more movies that will really make me think and hopefully inspire me to look at certain things differently. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

I found Contact to be a really moving and thoughtful movie. I am not sure about it being 'inspirational', but I think it is a great exploration of the way humans handle things and see things from so many points of view.

Powder is a peculiar movie, which I would also recommend to anyone. It is a difficult movie to describe... but it follows a young man who was born with strange abilities; he is the most intelligent person on the planet basically, and can also control electricity / magnetism, and can read feelings and thoughts etc. He starts off being cut off from the world, and during the film is introduced into society, but soon realises that he doesn't fit in at all. It's a very moving story, as you see everyone's different reactions to his powers. It's hard to say more than that without ruining the story but I find it to be very powerful. He is utterly passive, and the story even touches on animal rights in some areas as you see how he treats animals - again, just another aspect of how he doesn't fit into the world. It's one of my favourite movies, there's nothing else like it that I've seen

Down the rabbit hole is the sequel to what the bleep?

'Requiem for a dream' is an absolute classic as well but definitely not for the faint of heart. It was actually intended to scare kids away from doing drugs by being so upfront and horrific that you won't even think twice. It makes my skin tingle every time i watch it.

Yes, contact. V for Vendetta as well. and I really like the movie Saved! I find it to be positive. The Brooklyn Connection: How to Build a Guerrilla Army is a great documentary in my book. In general I like the fact that people keep fighting for or pursuing their personal goals despite the odds against them. That is inspiring.

They made a sequel to "What the Bleep?" ?!? Right on! I will definitely rent that one.

I really like all of these suggestions. There were a few that I've seen bits and pieces of and have been really interested in watching. It looks like I'll be spending a little time on the Netflix site.

Thanks, everybody!!

Mike

Peaceful Warrior and What the Bleep are a couple of my top inspirational also.... here are a few more...

The Celestine Prophecy (although the quality and acting are not so good, the message of the movie is great)

Gandhi

Mr.Holland's Opus

V for Vendetta

The Shawshank Redemption

A Beautiful Mind

Dances With Wolves

Happy Feet (despite being a "children's" movie this one has A LOT of good messages/inspirations for adults)

Thanks, Jessifly!! I've heard great things about a lot of the movies on your list. I think it's cool that you included a "children's" movie. Kids are some of the wisest and most inspirational people around, so it comes as no surprise to me that some movies made for children can teach adults important lessons as well.

Johan, I love those types of movies! I still get "Eye of the Tiger" in my head almost every time I train.

I'm trying to cut back on my responses so I don't hog the thread, but I can't help but comment on all of these great suggestions.

Mike

I edited this post, because I hadn't seen Johan's response when I first replied...

Most inspirational movies for me are sports/dance related. Here are some.

The Karate kid movies

Rocky (all of them)

Save the last Dance

Mighty Ducks (the first movie)

Dance with Me

I also find most movies about football, icehockey, and certain baseball movies to be inspirational too

Peaceful Kingdom

'Requiem for a dream' is an absolute classic as well but definitely not for the faint of heart. It was actually intended to scare kids away from doing drugs by being so upfront and horrific that you won't even think twice.

"We've got a winner!"

What about KIDS? That movie is super fucked up too.

KIDS is a great one...although I watched it with quite a few people when I was younger and most of whom are pretty screwy still...didn't seem to do the trick for them.

• 2 weeks later...

There's so many movies I love, but if it's "Inspirational Movies" for motivating me in training are Bruce Lee films (maybe also some sylvester stallone) and those that had huge impact on my life in general, I would say most of James Dean movies, like Rebel without a Cause . I liked Catch me if you can it shows everything is possible, Cronenberg's Crash for all the themes I like. Of course some movies that I've been watching millions of time when I was young, like raiders of the lost ark and some swartzenegger movies ( total recall, predator, terminator...)

I liked the docu-fiction Fast Food Nation about shit in the meat, and the documentary about meat industry Our Daily Bread.

Classics I love are Vertigo and 2001 a space odyssey, Koyaanisqatsi for the beautiful cinematography...

Lol, never heard about this movie before. I've just watched some scenes on utube, didn't know Arnold was such a bad actor. I've seen the fight against the gorilla and also Hercules in the sky through an airplane window, and some other scenes, that's enough I don't need to rent this movie !

For expanding the mind:

Forest Gump

Joe vs the Volcano (on the surface: romantic comedy. But it goes deep + lots of symbolism

Both star Tom Hanks (What a coinkidink)

Mr. Hollands Opus (This NEEDS to be watched at least twice. It seems bland until you've seen it, then understand what it's saying, THEN watching again makes your spirit soar. And the music becomes recognized as part of the story the 2nd time.)

Plain inspirational:

Field of Dreams

Strictly Ballroom (I'm not a ballroom fan, but it does not matter! It's about a man with a passion to dance HIS way - refusing to follow the herd. I saw it in a theater and it was the only time I've ever heard an audience applaud at the end...yet I wasn't surprised(you gotta do something with that adrenelin). The last time I saw it on TV, I had to lift weights for the last 20 minutes. There's also great laughs and non-stop fun