Hello from Australia.

outsider

I have been vegan for two years.

I used to train when i wasn't vegan and i got really good results but since then have let them slip.

I a very keen to get back into training on a vegan diet, but am a little apprehensive as to the gains that I can get on a vegan diet.

Any help or tips on if I should be on Protein powder (and what one??) and just general information about training on a vegan diet would be much appreciated.

I look forward to getting to know you all!!

Hey,

Hello from Sydney...

You can get a lot of gains on a vegan diet...

I went from 84kgs up to as much as 112 (Now I'm sitting on about 105kgs) so you don't have to worry about that...

Some Protein powders you might want to check out here in Australia are;

1- Logical Nutrition Phyto Protein - Pea Protein

2- Aussie Bodies Soy Protein.

3. Natural Health Suplements Rice Protein

Hope this Helps.

Welcome!

I would recommend that you eat loads of seeds, beans, soy products, lentils, full grain ect. -> no problems gaining weight.

Soy protein isolate has good amino acid profile and it's very cheap to buy.

Welcome to the forum outside! We look forward to getting to know you as well...

hey, here's a thread i posted for someone else, i'm pasting it here to answer your protein powder question... In general, I would say to try and enjoy meals as much as possible. Unless you are doing some serious comp prep or trying to really drop your bf and want to take the guesswork out by using powders, I'd say powders can take the fun and joy out of eating extra calories when overdone.

Hemp Protein Powder 5lb:

http://www.livingecho.com/products/health-care/protein/manitobaharvest!organic-hemp-protein-powder-with-fiber-5-lb-manitoba-harvest-5-hppf

Hemp Protein Powder 25lb: http://www.livingecho.com/products/health-care/protein/manitobaharvest!organic-hemp-protein-powder-with-fiber-25-lb-manitoba-harvest-25-hppf

Pea Protein Powder: you choose the size you want (GEMMA)

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6816

Personally, I prefer copious amounts of algaes like spirulina and chlorella in my diet for protein but it is expensive, I could give you a hook up but you need to buy a minimum of 50lbs at a time and that isn't always amicable to everyone and it is still more expensive than the other two (prob around 14-17 per lb, depending), even in bulk.

with so many options of soy food in meal planning (tofu, bars, mock foods, etc, etc), i'd save soy intake for meals instead of supplementing with a protein and get powder in from the hemp and pea which aren't so readily available in foods.

As far as the spriulina and chlorella go, it's costly if you buy in small amounts. Spirulina generally runs anywhere from $35 - $55 a lb while chlorella can go anywhere from $45 - $70 a lb. They're excellent but I wouldn't gorge on those prices, i'd use them sparingly.

Seaweeds are excellent protein sources also,; they have every mineral, trace mineral, amino acid and vitamin imaginable in them. They just taxing on the digestive system. http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1 is they best way to go to purchase. I prefer Dulse because it tastes the best. Go to that site and purchase it by the pound, it is much cheaper than getting it 2oz at a time at the health store. It lasts a while.

Thanks heaps guys.

All of the information is really good.

I will look into getting some protein powder soon, but for now I am just going to dramatically increase the amount of good natural foods that i eat.

Does anyone have a simple and effective diet plan that I could have a look at?

And Sydneyvegan, thanks heaps for the help, I am keen to talk to you more about good quality products that we can get over here

Hey,

I started a thread a while back concerning Australian supplements etc, you can find it here http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9458

Good Natural foods that you might want to check out, other than the normal fruits, veggies, Protein foods (Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan) nuts and pulses that we all eat are things like,

Quinoa and Amaranth - Both great sources of natural protein

Kale - One of the most nutrient dense foods you can get. A little hard to get in Australia sometimes, but you can often get the seeds so you can grow it yourself.

A few people post their diets in the Training log section of the forum, you can get a lot of good information there...

I lived in Canberra a couple of years ago, it has some pretty good vegan restaurants

Hey,

I started a thread a while back concerning Australian supplements etc, you can find it here http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9458

Good Natural foods that you might want to check out, other than the normal fruits, veggies, Protein foods (Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan) nuts and pulses that we all eat are things like,

Quinoa and Amaranth - Both great sources of natural protein

Kale - One of the most nutrient dense foods you can get. A little hard to get in Australia sometimes, but you can often get the seeds so you can grow it yourself.

A few people post their diets in the Training log section of the forum, you can get a lot of good information there...

I lived in Canberra a couple of years ago, it has some pretty good vegan restaurants

Yeah man, I ate at Au Lac last night!!

Amazing tasting food, but I am not sure about the nutritional value. But braised mock chicken and vegetables with cashew nuts cant be that bad right?!?

Thanks for that thread, i will suss some good Australian supplements.

xx

Amazing tasting food, but I am not sure about the nutritional value. But braised mock chicken and vegetables with cashew nuts cant be that bad right?!?

xx

Yeah Au Lac is great, it is one of my favorite Mock meat restaurants.

I think they do some of the best Rice paper rolls (Cold rolls) that I have ever tasted, lots of mint and basil.

I think the food there is pretty healthy, some stuff is healthier than others of course. It's a good place to take omni friends as well.

There are a couple of Ethiopian Places that have some Great Vegan food as well.

If you want to add size and eat natural nutrional food, it's always good to know a good whole foods store, if you don't have one already there is one in Griffith that isn't bad.

xx

Yeah Au Lac is great, it is one of my favorite Mock meat restaurants.

I think they do some of the best Rice paper rolls (Cold rolls) that I have ever tasted, lots of mint and basil.

I think the food there is pretty healthy, some stuff is healthier than others of course. It's a good place to take omni friends as well.

There are a couple of Ethiopian Places that have some Great Vegan food as well.

If you want to add size and eat natural nutrional food, it's always good to know a good whole foods store, if you don't have one already there is one in Griffith that isn't bad.

Do you mean Mountain Creek in griffith??

Thats about a 5 minute drive from my house.

I will definitely go in and check it out.

Also, the company I work for sell health food products and I have already got a good multivitamin, but we sell flaxeed oil capsules aswell. Are they worth taking? And in what dosage?

Thanks SV, you have been a huge help

Mountain creek sounds like the one.

I can't remember how much bulk whole food type stuff they sell, but it is definitely worth checking out.

Yes I definitely think it is worth supplementing Flax seed oil as it is a good source of Omega 3's.

As for the doesage, I think it would depend on how much of the bad Omega 6's you are eating (They come from fried foods and processed foods) as it is necessary to get a good ratio of these.

If you look in the health and nutrition section of the forum there are a lot of good posts by DV (Who is a nurse and knows an incredible amount about Nutrition)

Just make sure the capsules that contain the flax seed oil are Vegan friendly, we don't want you eating Gelatin.

Hope it all helps.