Vienna, Vienna, Austria.

Background/Aims: The objective of the study was to collect data on dietary

fat intake of omnivores, vegetarians, vegans and semi-omnivores as well as

its impact on n-3 and n-6 fatty acids in long-term markers such as

sphingolipids, phosphatidylcholine (PC), phosphatidylserine (PS),

phosphatidylethanol amine (PE) as well as the calculated sphingo- and

phospholipids (SPL) of erythrocytes. Method: The present observational

study included 98 Austrian adult volunteers of both genders, of which 23

were omnivores, 25 vegetarians, 37 vegans, and 13 semi-omnivores.

Information on anthropometry using measured body weight and height was

obtained. The amount and composition of ingested fat were calculated from

24-hour recalls and the fatty acid pattern in the phospholipids was

assessed using gas chromatography. Results: The unbalanced n-6/n-3 ratio

and the limited dietary sources of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and

docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in vegans and vegetarians led to reductions in

C20:5n-3, C22:5n-3, C22:6n-3 and total n-3 fatty acids in SPL, PC, PS and

PE compared with omnivores and semi-omnivores. The total content of

polyunsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids and saturated

fatty acids remained unchanged. Conclusion: The vegetarian diet, with an

average n-6/n-3 ratio of 10/1, promotes biochemical n-3 tissue decline. To

ensure physical, mental and neurological health vegetarians have to reduce

the n-6/n-3 ratio with an additional intake of direct sources of EPA and

DHA, regardless of age and gender. Copyright © 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel.

Another way to read that conclusion is: An optimal vegan diet includes supplemental vegan EPA and DHA. These omega 3 fatty acids are isolated from sea algae and the only supplement available at this time is from the following company:

www.water4.net

DHA is more widely available (it's added to some flax oil and is found by itself in supplement form) but only a limited amount is converted to EPA.

Now, how could this study be improved? If a study of vegans with an omega 6 to omega 3 ratio of 4:1 (or less) showed no need for direct supplementation with EPA/DHA then we could assume that this ratio allows for adequate conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA. We really need a study of vegans in the optimal omega 6 to 3 ratio to decide if direct supplementation is necessary. I don't know if this study will ever be done.

In the meantime, I highly encourage everyone to take this supplement, take 2 tablespoons of ground flax per day (or the equivalent in chia seeds), restrict omega 6 intake (use olive oil or canola oil if you use any added fats) and eats lots and lots of leafy green vegetables. The damage of low omega fatty acid intake can take decades to become apparent. You don't feel necessarily feel it until the damage is done.

Thanks for the link, Zack!

Wow!!!!! Thanks so much for the link to that company DV!!!

Man! It really angers me the things we have to hear about by accident to get educated! Think of all of the people forcing fish down their throats because they are brainwashed into thinking that is the only way to get Omega 3's.

I love what this company is doing and what they stand for. I might even put a link on one of my websites. So good to know! Thank you, thank you!

And thank you for the article info Zack!

You are welcome!

The more I investigate nutrition, the more I learn. And it changes all the time! We know so little.

On a side note, fatty fish is the one animal food that I really believe is healthy (for humans, not the fish of course) - although not with the current state of the oceans and the accumulation of toxins in their fat. I am so happy that someone has developed a plant-based alternative and I hope many more follow.

I eat two tablespoons of flax a day, but probably a half cup of a combination of other seeds high in omega 6. I guess I should cut back on the sunflower and sesame. I am joining my local coop and will get discounts on bulk stuff and I plan on buying hemp seeds in bulk through it. That should help me to cut down on the sunflower seeds.

There was a study made at Harvard (if I remember correctly) where they came to the conclusion that if you take care of your omega 3 needs, then eating omega 6 even in larger amounts has only health benefits.

So the problem would be people not getting enough epa and dha, not them eating large amounts of omega 6. I know that it is widely believed that the balance between omega 3 and omega 6 is the important thing in eating fats, but that study did not come to the conclusion.

I have also read about some doctor who studies vegetarians and their fat intake; he has not found any problems which could become from the low intake of DHA and EPA.

This is just based on what I remember, so I might not remember everything correctly. I do take V-pure myself, 6 tablets daily, and have felt better when I am taking it as a supplement. I don´t worry about omega 6, since I mostly eat unrefined coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds.

I lost some weight without trying to lose any when I started taking V-pure, maybe it would be a good addition to people trying to lose weight.

V-pure is the water4life supplement.

CollegeB and Kero,

The information I give you has come from multiple studies, nutritional conferences, books and journal articles that I have read or attended.

While a few studies or practitioners might state that the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio does not matter - many studies show that it does matter. Even if you get the required amount of omega 3 fatty acids (ALA, direct form of EPA and DHA) there are still downsides to eating too much omega 6 fatty acids (LA, GLA, AA) - an overabundance of substances that are pro-inflammatory, pro-constrictive and pro-thrombotic. If you are eating direct sources of EPA and DHA then the ratio might not matter so much concerning conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA. However, you will still have the negative effects of omega 6s in amounts too high to be countered by the positive effects of omega 3s - anti-inflammatory, pro-dilation, anti-thrombotic.

Certainly, there is a lot of information to weed through and it takes a long time for quality studies to give us answers. In the meantime, we need to educate ourselves continuously and use the best information available to make informed health choices. Any of us can research these topics adequately IF we take information from sites/books/associations/journals that have high scientific standards. There is a lot of unverifiable information out there and some of it is harmful. I am the nutrition resource person for the 5 vegans in my family so I take researching nutrition very seriously. I pass my nutrition beliefs (based on my research) onto the forum members here because I care about your health as well as my family.

If my information helps any of you - great. If you don't care for it - that's great too, so long as you are keeping yourself intelligently informed. No one should take my word for anything without doing their own extensive research.

From my readings DV's advice is solid. Get 1 - 2 tablespoons of ground flax in a day. Take the water4life supplements, eat greens every day. Minimize omega 6 overload by minimizing friend foods and commercial baked goods.

The nice thing about this advice is that it is also good advice for several other health issues.