Blendtec VS Vitamix

Hey guys,

I am in the process of saving up for a good blender, in Australia Vitamixes cost around $1200 which I think is more than slightly ridiculous, considering the exchange rate at the moment ( I would buy a machine from the US, except we use 240V here, not 110V).

Blendtec Machines are a little cheaper at around $1000

Ever penny counts as they say so I would like to get some feed back from people who have used them.

I have used Vitamix and they are pretty awesome,I just don't know much about the different models etc.

So I guess I'm mostly looking for info on Blendtec machines, but if you have a Vitamix and can tell me which model etc, that would be good too

Thanks.

Edited by sydneyvegan

Hey "Kinky-Sydney-Vegan-Booty"!

I have the VitaMix Turboblend 4500 Blender, I bought it for $359... or as my housemates call it the "kale-annihilator". Its a simple model and I have no complaints at all, for me it was the best kitchen appliance purchase ever. I don't know much about these and if they can be used with a blender or not but I've seen stepup voltage convertors for around $20 I think. I don't know anything about Blendtec, in fact I don't think I had heard of them before seeing Troy's smoothie-making youtubes

Good luck though, I hope you can get it for less than 1000!

Its definitely worth a 20% increase for a Vitamix. Nothing comes even close. We have two expensive blenders...a Vitamix and an old stainless Oster that has more watts than pretty much any new blender...the Vitamix is 10x better.

If I weren't gonna get a Vitamix I'd just get a cheapo blender and replace it when it does...nothing else is really worth the money.

damnn, at those prices i hope they throw in protein powders for at least 2 years. my gf got me a really sweet blender that blends nuts, seeds, ice, greens, oats really everything i tried. i think it was about 1500kr which is like 250 US dollars i think.

i would go with jessiflys idea and buy a voltage converter. perfect to have when you travel too.

I have a Blendtec and I love it. It blends whatever I throw at it with ease. Green smoothies are not a problem at all, it eats through greens without a hitch. I think you are fine going with the Blendtec. I abuse the hell out of mine and it is going strong.

FWIW, Vita Mixes are one of those things a lot of people buy and get tired of. Before you buy a new one check out your local classifieds section for used ones at a discount.

I've never heard of that before. I know a few people that have used theirs daily for over 15years.

I agree with Lean and Green. The old ones are probably just as good. I have a Vitamix in my house that we bought for around $400-500 I believe. it's been in my house since I was a little kid (I'm 16 now) and we probably got it before I can even remember. I use it daily and put in everything I can find. My smoothies used to be green, but now they're turning things like purple haha. Never heard of Blendtec, but I love our Vitamix.

My blendtec is by far the best kitchen appliance I have ever purchased. It will blend anything into a creamy smoothie. It makes any grain into flour, and sugar into powdered sugar.

Either the Vitamix or Blendtec will perform about the same I imagine. The reason I went with the Blendtec is that its easier to scrape the contents out of the carafe and easier to clean.

One thing is that it is LOUD. My next one will be the Q-Series for sure...

http://commercial.blendtec.com/productDetails.aspx?id=14

If you want to compare the blenders... check out these links... (the Champ is the old name for the Blendtec):

http://www.discountjuicers.com/blendercompare.html

http://www.totalblender.com/vitamix-blendtec-blender-comparison-reviews.html

Troy brings up an interesting point when he says the blendtec's finished product is creamy. I've found the vitamix finished product to be somewhat grainy. Anyone have any thoughts on this? This would make or break my decision by the way, if I were making one today.

My blendtec is by far the best kitchen appliance I have ever purchased. It will blend anything into a creamy smoothie. It makes any grain into flour, and sugar into powdered sugar.

Either the Vitamix or Blendtec will perform about the same I imagine. The reason I went with the Blendtec is that its easier to scrape the contents out of the carafe and easier to clean.

One thing is that it is LOUD. My next one will be the Q-Series for sure...

http://commercial.blendtec.com/productDetails.aspx?id=14

If you want to compare the blenders... check out these links... (the Champ is the old name for the Blendtec):

http://www.discountjuicers.com/blendercompare.html

http://www.totalblender.com/vitamix-blendtec-blender-comparison-reviews.html

I almost can't wait for mine to crap out so I can upgrade to a Q-series now. It is pricey but looks to be well worth it.

the vitamix finished product to be somewhat grainy. Anyone have any thoughts on this? This would make or break my decision by the way, if I were making one today.

It'll be creamy if you blend it longer...

30 seconds is what I usually aim for as it lessens oxidation but leaves a little "grainyness", if you up it 60 seconds then it will be really creamy, I assume the vitamix is the same way.

I don't think longer blending(within reason) is really gonna cause more oxidation...its not like you can drink a large smoothie immediately anyway.

I don't think longer blending(within reason) is really gonna cause more oxidation...its not like you can drink a large smoothie immediately anyway.

3 things contribute to oxidation... 1)oxygen 2)exposed area of food 3) time. From what I've read on blending, two things happen the longer you blend, the particles become smaller creating more surface area for the food particles to be exposed to air and two, more air is pulled into the food amplifying the oxidation process.

PS. Congrats on 8K!

Those are definitely factors but I bet you the total amount of oxidation is extremely minimal...probably much less than waiting an extra day to eat a fruit to begin with.

Thanks for the kudos