What is it about other forums???????

JW

.. we all have to think the same way and perpetuate some sort of bizarre hive mentality without variance,....

This is true with all small groups, I think, and especially amongst people who build their identity around an "ism".

I think on a large forum you just get a bit of everything. You can't have 100+ regulars on a forum without certain amounts of discrimination. I'd like for that not to be the case but unfortunately humans suck.

Well, I'd expect some from members occasionally. I know that for some having someone like me in the midst, so to speak, can make others feel uncomfortable.

But when the admins allow it or perpetuate it, even against their own TOS, then it's time to move on because they feed into it. To me, a forum has a death knell (slow or fast) when it ignores the disenfranchised of it's membership. If every attempt is made to offer an olive branch and resolve things, then the forum should be ok. But when they are ignored or made to feel unwelcomed, then the forum will have limited growth and will eventually die out. I do know that here, if I have issues, that -- at the least -- I will be listened to by the admins (even if there is a limit to what they can do). And I know the majority of the membership is either open or polite enough to not discriminated against me (even if my choice doesn't agree with them).

I cannot even imagine the negative attitudes you have to put up with in person. It's obscene to me that anyone would give you a hard time on a forum. There's no surer sign, IMO, of insecurity in your own sexuality than bashing a transgendered or homosexual person.

I like many other boards but somehow I find the people here simply fantastic. Really supportive, friendly, open minded..

The motivation you get here is priceless. The amount of wisdom here makes Yoda jealous. There has been only one topic (which was deleted I think) which had some bad feelings as far as I've been here.

Like "That guy" (the finance dude from the 80's) from Futurama would say:

"Awesome. Awesome to the max."

My cousin is transgender. She's becoming a he. I'm still trying to get used to his new name. I have to say "Ryan" instead of "Jennifer" and it's strange only because I knew him as Jennifer for 15 years. He legally changed his name and everything. I think people have trouble understanding stuff like that because it's not very common to meet someone who was born the wrong gender.

Lol me too!!

Back on the subject of other forums.. This is now the only one I'll post on. I was on this one on Facebook, called Global Vegan Network.. And I swear, everyone thinks it's their perogative to be a prick. I got attacked because I feed my cats meat. Well uhh they're supposed to. Then the guy told me I was scary looking (i guess cuz he had nothing intelligent to say).

Then I made a post about how vegans who are dicks to other people make other people hate us and that we should learn to respect people and some guy came back with "it's the internet. Get the fuck over it."

Geez.. So I left cuz I can't stand to be a part of something that's full of people who can't even use basic manners. It's a shame because there are some nice people there too and these a-holes are ruining it for them.

I think it's stupid that I would get attacked over feeding my cats meat. They are carnivores. They're not the only ones. Why feed something plant materials if it can't survive off of it? Humans can live fine without animal products. That's why I think we should.

I hate the notion of "it's the internet, therefore I get to be as much of a prick as I like, get over it". That's stupid mentality, I don't understand why people think it's acceptable to write insults, people still read them, it's still interaction.

Regarding feeding your pets meat, for dogs and cats there are alternatives available. For things like spiders, snakes and lizards, I don't think there are alternatives.

I hate the notion of "it's the internet, therefore I get to be as much of a prick as I like, get over it". That's stupid mentality, I don't understand why people think it's acceptable to write insults, people still read them, it's still interaction.

What about people who are pricks in real life AND on the internet?

Yeah that's not good. If someone is a prick online though, if I met them face to face, I'd still remember what they said online, to me it's all the same.

I have had it the other way round, where someone has seemed alright online, then I met them in real life and they were really childish and lame. I went to play Tekken with a bunch of dudes from a forum, they hogged the controller for ages, bums.

Online I get to say stuff that just comes to mind, since there is no awkward social situation to follow, and nobody is speaking over me etc. In an actual social situation with lots of people, I tend to just sit around staring into space. One on one, I'm pretty much the same online as offline I think

I've met a number of people from the internet. In my experience people who are pricks on the internet may be pricks in real life, but when they meet new people they tend to be very withdrawn and introverted. In other words, they are pricks on the internet because they don't have enough courage to be whatever they need to be in real life.

)

I've met a number of people from the internet. In my experience people who are pricks on the internet may be pricks in real life, but when they meet new people they tend to be very withdrawn and introverted. In other words, they are pricks on the internet because they don't have enough courage to be whatever they need to be in real life.

these are the type of people that I really don't want to waste any of my life on.

It's unfortunate that the "one bad apple thing" caan have such an effect on people.

I know I have felt like leaving forums (not this one ) after experiencing a rude, thoughtless, insensitive, uninformed, boor.

okay.... I feel beter now.

As Grouch Marx once said

I resemble that remark!

That is an AWESOME cartoon. Thank you so much for posting. I might even print it out,

Is that Groucho's mean older brother?

just kidding bw

.. we all have to think the same way and perpetuate some sort of bizarre hive mentality without variance,....

This is true with all small groups, I think, and especially amongst people who build their identity around an "ism".

I really haven't spent any time on other vegan forums. I think, though, that there are probably a lot of people who become vegan (maybe even just for a short time) primarily because they want an "ism" with which to self-identify, and that they probably account for the majority of the judgmental, confrontation-seeking "holy rollers" of the vegan cyber-world. I really don't see any of that on this forum, which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

Any kind of discrimination is hard for me to understand. But it does happen unfortunately, intentional or otherwise.

Sorry to hear that you had to deal with that crap on the other forum. Potter's right, people suck sometimes .

Laura;

I would like to agree with you, but my area actually has some pretty hard hitters in the AR community. There are many external reasons why contemporary AR hasn't spread much since it got its start 2 - 3 decades ago. One internal reason is that many of the leaders and other players are rigid and argumentative people.