Parkour / Free Running

dontxhide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSr1pozm6Y

These are the only good videos I could find on youtube. A few years ago I was watching a television show on it and it amazed me. Every spring I start wanting to do it, but have no idea how to train for it! I know a lot, LOT of running is involved. Jumping etc. But some of these guys jump from a ledge then dead hang off another one, like it doesnt even hurt their arms.

I found that website like a minute before your posted it! I actually like their WOD better than some of the workouts I do. I go through crazy cycles.

Like in spring, I want all around fitness, no matter how skinny I look. But usually i just look fit.

Summer I do the back breaking HIIT workouts with sandbags, tires, sledghammers, etc.

Then fall and winter hits and its back to hitting the weights.

Somewhere I try to mix in martial arts.

So Ill think Ill start this. Well at least getting in shape enough to start this. Then we will see.

Phillip, we should train together. Im not going to attempt to do anything crazy until Im in shape enough, which I have a bit more muscle than I did last year, but not enough stamina or anything.

http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/887/270/

That links mentions that to limit injury and to be strong enough, you should be doing the WOD (workout of the day) without any problems regulary before you start doing anything crazy. They are here:

http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/12/37/322/

I did my first APK warmup, and my first WOD yesterday. I couldnt believe I got through. I actually bled. The first time a long time (since basketball and track) that I bled during a workout. I banged my knee on the ground trying to maintain balance to do a handstand pushup. Its awesome. I felt dizzy, and onthe verge of throwing up, but it was great.

So I am going to to those for at least a month or two, and probably start light parkour runs in about a month.

Phillip, we should train together. Im not going to attempt to do anything crazy until Im in shape enough, which I have a bit more muscle than I did last year, but not enough stamina or anything.

http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/887/270/

That links mentions that to limit injury and to be strong enough, you should be doing the WOD (workout of the day) without any problems regulary before you start doing anything crazy. They are here:

http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/12/37/322/

I did my first APK warmup, and my first WOD yesterday. I couldnt believe I got through. I actually bled. The first time a long time (since basketball and track) that I bled during a workout. I banged my knee on the ground trying to maintain balance to do a handstand pushup. Its awesome. I felt dizzy, and onthe verge of throwing up, but it was great.

So I am going to to those for at least a month or two, and probably start light parkour runs in about a month.

I would love to train with you. In reality though i am rather weak and think i need about a months worth of bodyweight workout to be able to do these things. Im at the end of week one of my new training and ill start incorporating on my off days the WOD. This is going to be awesome. I have seen some dudes downtown doing parkour so i know there is a scene around. meetups.com has a listing for them as well. not sure if they are active.

Awesome. Message me with your number and we can see what happens.

I just replaced all my weight lifting now with the WOD.

Thats what most of the WOD's are. Body weight exercises. The one for today is 2 minutes of each. L-sit, Planche, Handstand, and Front Lever. Falling down does not count as time. So your basically doing all of them in position for two minutes.

PS: Did I see you at a Indiana Jones movie watching party last Saturday? I wansnt sure, so I didnt say anything.

Awesome. Message me with your number and we can see what happens.

I just replaced all my weight lifting now with the WOD.

Thats what most of the WOD's are. Body weight exercises. The one for today is 2 minutes of each. L-sit, Planche, Handstand, and Front Lever. Falling down does not count as time. So your basically doing all of them in position for two minutes.

PS: Did I see you at a Indiana Jones movie watching party last Saturday? I wansnt sure, so I didnt say anything.

Dude i was totally there. yeah i scarfed down the nachos with the quickness, i didnt notice you, but i suck at meeting new people in crowds. Also you may have heard my laughing obscenely loud.

Cool. One of my best friends put the whole thing on. Kelly

Right now I live way down in Murray, but I live alone with a huge parking lot as my backyard I do a lot of my WOD workouts in. Im going to start training pretty seriously (I hope, sometimes I miss the barebell and go right back to bulking up again).

Ill hit you up. If its nice out on Saturday im going to be doing another WOD in the parking lot.

Cool. One of my best friends put the whole thing on. Kelly

Right now I live way down in Murray, but I live alone with a huge parking lot as my backyard I do a lot of my WOD workouts in. Im going to start training pretty seriously (I hope, sometimes I miss the barebell and go right back to bulking up again).

Ill hit you up. If its nice out on Saturday im going to be doing another WOD in the parking lot.

I work right at the edge of Murry near 4500 and 700east. and i live near the edge of sugar house so its not that far off man.

Those WODs look brutal. (i can barely do at the best of times one handstand pushup propped against a wall.)

I actually chose a bodyweight workout because i am a bit fearful of weights, having never trained with them and wouldn't know where to start nor proper technique.

This Saturday unfortunately i have to help a friend move but i am free most weekends. A parking structure seems like a good place to practice. As do playgrounds.