Cycling Suite/Room/Cabin

Guest veganpotter

Alright bike riders. I'm thinking we're gonna be waking up before everyone else to ride so we can have the rest of the day to spend with other forum members. No sense in riding at 10am and getting back at 2pm after everyones already started doing something else. We're gonna have a bunch of bikes and I think it'll be "kind of us" if we don't make the rest of the forum member have to deal with bikes in their room. I'm thinking we're gonna be riding by 8am at the latest and this will keep us from waking up so many people in the process.

Let me know if you're interested in a specific room...Jessifly suggested the family suite or maybe one of the bunk rooms...it makes no difference to me because I sleep on the floor. If we take care of this early it'll make it easier for the other forum members. Plus we can figure out what we'll be paying early on which is nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to come and it certainly is on my consideration list. As with the last two years I've been wanting to join up but my familial considerations take precedent with my limited vacation time. This year already looks like no exception.

I need to hammer with some vegans so I'm really going to push going. I think it would be cool to come up with my son and just the two of us hang out with everyone, but he's still pretty young (4) so he wouldn't be able to "ride". But he'd have a blast, I know it, and it would be a great experience.

Anyone else with kids as well? Albeit a different topic, but if we have people watching kids from time to time that also might be cool.

-Matt

Alright bike riders. I'm thinking we're gonna be waking up before everyone else to ride so we can have the rest of the day to spend with other forum members. No sense in riding at 10am and getting back at 2pm after everyones already started doing something else. We're gonna have a bunch of bikes and I think it'll be "kind of us" if we don't make the rest of the forum member have to deal with bikes in their room. I'm thinking we're gonna be riding by 8am at the latest and this will keep us from waking up so many people in the process.

Let me know if you're interested in a specific room...Jessifly suggested the family suite or maybe one of the bunk rooms...it makes no difference to me because I sleep on the floor. If we take care of this early it'll make it easier for the other forum members. Plus we can figure out what we'll be paying early on which is nice too.

Can I get in on this!? I'm going to have a 10 day old bike by then (replacing my Lemond this summer (probably with another Lemond) for the Pan Mass Challenge). I'll be very excited to put some more miles on it! -Isaac

Okay sounds great. But you'll have to rub your Beljum Budder on yourself MMMMM budder !!

We aren't gonna be going 50miles per hour but we will be doing regular 50+ mile rides. It'll be impossible to ride with us unless you have a road bike. Its super hilly out there too...probably worse than any hills I've ever climbed. We won't be hammering it but it'll be tough just to clear a lot of them.

Powered by Carrots...it'll be great to have you there...what type of Lemond are you getting??? My shop is a dealer.

Tasha...no need helping with the Beljum Budder...you can spread avocado on me instead

Tasha...no need helping with the Beljum Budder...you can spread avocado on me instead

is that your alternative to a vegan chamois creme? What a mess Yuck

I rather go with the Beljum budder. It's vegan and it's not scented

Edited by Tasha

We aren't gonna be going 50miles per hour but we will be doing regular 50+ mile rides. It'll be impossible to ride with us unless you have a road bike. Its super hilly out there too...probably worse than any hills I've ever climbed. We won't be hammering it but it'll be tough just to clear a lot of them.

Powered by Carrots...it'll be great to have you there...what type of Lemond are you getting??? My shop is a dealer.

I'm currently riding a Lemond Etape that I bought a couple years ago before a week-long tour through Maine. It's a great bike, but definitely not something I would tour on again.

For the Pan Mass Challenge I'm thinking of buying a Poprad (I may look at some other cross bikes too). Have you heard of the PMC? It's 196 miles in two days during the first weekend in August. Every rider has to raise around $4000, which all goes to the Jimmy Fund. Really a great cause if you're interested in a cool ride. My team is Slowpoke Rodriquez and we're always looking for additional riders.

Since I only have one bike at a time (aside from the fixed gear which sleeps at my parent's house), and I use it to do just about everything: commute all winter, grocery shop, fully loaded touring, long rides with friends, and everything in between, I think a cross bike would be the best choice.

I've been happy with the Etape, but it has limited utility. I want a bike with more "personalities:" I want to be able to put on knobby tires and fenders for the winter, thick slicks and racks for touring and then be able to take it all off and throw on some really thin tires for the occasional century. I think the right cross bike could be the ideal for me, and I like Lemonds, so that's where the Poprad idea comes from.

Part of me wants to get a Long Haul Trucker, but that thing is a beast... Great for touring, but less great for everything else.

Wouldn't you rather ride a road bike other then a XC bike for the summer?

i definitely would, but i suspect my current bike will need a little work. if it's not too expensive i may just fix the current one, ride it out through the summer and then get a cross bike around sept. it all depends on the cost... if it reaches upwards of $200 then i'm going to trade it in and get something new. if i can keep it below $200 then i'll probably keep the lemond for the summer.

You'd definitely be better off touring with a real touring bike(like a Trek Pilot) than a cross bike. Why do you want knobby tires for the rain??? Nobby tires are no good for the rain...you'd be better off with a rain tire/all season tire. When it comes to fenders...there are tons of bikes that'll take fenders...all my hard core race bikes(other than my TT bike) can be fitted with fenders.

Wouldn't you rather ride a road bike other then a XC bike for the summer?

i definitely would, but i suspect my current bike will need a little work. if it's not too expensive i may just fix the current one, ride it out through the summer and then get a cross bike around sept. it all depends on the cost... if it reaches upwards of $200 then i'm going to trade it in and get something new. if i can keep it below $200 then i'll probably keep the lemond for the summer.

Have you checked out Craigslist in your area? I'm not sure where abouts you are in Boston or what size of frame you have.

but I found one that's $260 it's worth checking out

It's not really a "road bike" because of it having a 24 speed.

I dunno shop around I hope you find something

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/629469200.html

What work needs to be done on your bike? I I just realized that you said if your bike is below $200 on the repairs then you'll keep it. I thought you put I'm looking at a bike that'll will cost $200 ! Sorry

Anyways if you love that bike I would just get it repaired no sense to get a new one if you're going to be buying a cross bike for september, but if you have the money then why not go for it Just a thing I would do.

My bike cost over $600 in repairs, I would of got a new one but my insurance paid for the repairs, also I didn't have much time to save up for a new one by then

You'd definitely be better off touring with a real touring bike(like a Trek Pilot) than a cross bike. Why do you want knobby tires for the rain??? Nobby tires are no good for the rain...you'd be better off with a rain tire/all season tire. When it comes to fenders...there are tons of bikes that'll take fenders...all my hard core race bikes(other than my TT bike) can be fitted with fenders.

i would definitely be better off touring with a real touring bike, but i want one bike that does it all. and knobby tires aren't for the rain-- they're for boston winters (it gets BAD here ). as for the fenders: there are "fenders" (like the race blade half fenders i currently use) and FENDERS like the ones that i want to be using but won't fit my bike because there's not enough clearance... with the boston winter nastiness--slush, mud, etc--i want knobby tires with seriously hardcore, full coverage fenders... in the end i think a cross bike would just allow me to do much more with one bike than any other alternative.

What work needs to be done on your bike? I I just realized that you said if your bike is below $200 on the repairs then you'll keep it. I thought you put I'm looking at a bike that'll will cost $200 ! Sorry

Anyways if you love that bike I would just get it repaired no sense to get a new one if you're going to be buying a cross bike for september, but if you have the money then why not go for it Just a thing I would do.

My bike cost over $600 in repairs, I would of got a new one but my insurance paid for the repairs, also I didn't have much time to save up for a new one by then

it's in serious need of a tuneup after this winter. aside from that, it will need a new chain and a new rear cassette, also new tires, new handlebar tape, new brake pads, and whatever else they tell me when they look at it. basically it's a whole bunch of small stuff that tends to add up... i'm kind of ready for a new bike anyway (this one is over two years old and has a ton of miles on it), but i may wait until september to replace it so that i have a road bike all summer.

Most real touring bikes will take 32mm knobby tires...that may be good enough. You've just gotta make sure there's enough clearance for the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...