Magic The Gathering

9nines

As I said, we just play draft magic, so there's no themes, we have a bank of cards split into colours, then we lay them out 9 at a time, and take turns picking them out to construct our decks until we have 60 each. So we have completely different decks each time, and have to construct them with the cards we get via the draft at the start. It's cool because it makes you think carefully, adds variety, and most importantly, balances the decks, as we all picked from the same cards initially, they will normally be about even making for more interesting battles

We have those rat ninja guys who are pretty hardcore, the ones who make them discard two cards, I try to snap those up. We finished half way through a game today, we will continue next week. Dave had that thing which is 4GGG 8/8 cannot be the target of opponents spells or abilities and I am getting crushed, there isn't much I can do about it in my deck. If I draw my shivan I can block with it and pump him up... but looks unlikely. That green creature is a real pain in the ass.

I used to play a TON back in the day.

I still have two decks put together somewhere.

I have a really awesome green one that would generate like 40 token creatures. Some old school saproling stuff, not any newer stuff. I think the last series I played was odyssey.

Can you counterspell the green guy before he comes into play?

We have those rat ninja guys who are pretty hardcore, the ones who make them discard two cards, I try to snap those up. We finished half way through a game today, we will continue next week. Dave had that thing which is 4GGG 8/8 cannot be the target of opponents spells or abilities and I am getting crushed, there isn't much I can do about it in my deck. If I draw my shivan I can block with it and pump him up... but looks unlikely. That green creature is a real pain in the ass.

Yeah you can counter him, I didn't have a counterspell in my hand at the time gah. Uthden Troll controls the situation, because the green guy doesn't have trample, so you can just keep blocking and regenerating so long as they don't get rid of the troll.

what did you do with your cards? We went through our collection the other day, we have a bunch of cards from old sets, the old dual lands, we're planning to sell them as they're just sitting around and they're probably worth a bit now

Yeah you could probably get a couple of bucks from some of the cards you own if you're willing to put them on ebay and deal with all of that. As for me I have no idea where my cards are. The two decks I have were in pretty sturdy plastic deck boxes so wherever they are in my parents house they're probably safe. As for the shoeboxes and shoeboxes of other cards... your guess is as good as mine. I also had a binder of the rare cards... no idea where that is either. That binder is probably worth a couple hundred bucks too....

Never really got into Magic, but played a lot of other CCG stuff back in the early to mid 90s. I played LOTS of Jyhad (which is what all the people I knew who played magic moved on to and got me started on) as well as Shadowfist, but those were the only ones I really got into heavily.

Living in the Milwaukee area always meant GenCon every summer (until it moved to Indiana) so we got the first drop on everything new that was coming out for gaming for many years. I miss going there

I didn't play Magic online, but I had Magic Workstation, which was free. I also played the actual card game, and had almost every expensive card aside from the Mox Emerald.

Black Lotus?

Which series?

All 8 of the Power 9 were Unlimited, then I had a Library of Alexandria, 4 Italian Mana Drains, and a bunch of other stuff. I normally showed up to our local card shops with a deck normally about $4,000+.

Living in the Milwaukee area always meant GenCon every summer

Is that where Gary Gygax lived?

Gary lived in Lake Geneva, which is a nice town about 30 minutes from where I live that's made up of a mixture of locals and rich folk from Illinois who come up to roost in giant mansions on the lake (the Wrigley family of chewing gum fame still has a massive family lake home there that's absolutely freaking monstrous). Not sure which part of the area Gary lived in, but R.I.P. to the recent passing of the godfather of modern roleplaying games

M.P.A.

Magic Players Anonymous

Back in the day . . . Red Burn Baby . . . it’s all about the ball lightning!!

I bought some Urza’s stuff and then they just put out too many new sets and I could keep up ($$$$$) with it. It was fun though. All me neighbors and brother played. Still have them all. Maybe if I sold them I could fund my grad school?

M.P.A.

Magic Players Anonymous

Back in the day . . . Red Burn Baby . . . it’s all about the ball lightning!!

I bought some Urza’s stuff and then they just put out too many new sets and I could keep up ($$$$$) with it. It was fun though. All me neighbors and brother played. Still have them all. Maybe if I sold them I could fund my grad school?

Yeah dude, keeping up with sets to maintain a competitive deck really is a ball buster, and costs way too much. That's another reason why we do draft magic, we just buy a few new cards now and then for a few quid, and add them to the box. There's no pressure, since everyone drafts from the same box, the new cards are just for variety, everyone stands the same chance of getting the powerful cards each time.

We used to play with regular decks, getting hold of 4x cards that you needed was irritating and expensive. Hell, just buying boosters was expensive.

• 1 month later...

(^-^) raaaahhhhh hell yeah, this is such a varied game. It's great.

Wizards of the Coast have their fancy new MTG Online Mk.3 on the go now, so I've downloaded it and am installing it just now.

I'm still very new to the game, but can play it well enough to hang out in the n00b room anyhow, at least so it's all good.

Nope, though used to have a lot of the 'Fighting Fantasy' gamebooks

Ah, I played so many of those books when I was a kid, I had a huge collection but my mum sold them all to the second-hand shop because she thought they were satanic (having managed to ignorantly confuse them with tabletop games where you play as big brutish monsters sometimes, you see.... ) ... pfffh not to be deterred i bought as many as possible back again. And loads of Lone Wolf books as well, for good measure - ha !

aw, i was a hardcore nerd-child, man.

I remember that incredible 4-volume Fighting Fantasy adventure, with all of the magic spells at the back of each book..... it started off with you adventuring across a plains I think, and in the second book 7 serpents had to be hunted down and outwitted (the serpent of time proving to be especially difficult to defeat, I remember) ... and then was some kind of devious city of freaks and interesting weirdoes.... and I'm not sure what then, but i do remember the magic being very well-implemented in those 4 books.... with each book having its' own unique 'flavour', but all written to be fitted together into one long saga-adventure.....

mmmm-mmmm

I think I remember those too. I also remember those you played against a 'mate' at the same time. Seen them in enough second hand book stalls, never actually bought one though.

The days before MMORG's (I think I got that right?) hey...