Who's running now????

JW

well.... not RIGHT now but in general?

I've resumed running again due to a wrist injury. (I have to do something!!!!)

I ran Friday and Sunday both around 30 minutes.

I was amazed at how sore my quads felt. It's been awhile but if I keep the mileage low, I should be able to continue and reap the benefits.

(my ankles don't respond well to high mileage)

I am! I even went out trail running (just a touch of ice and snow here and there)! So different to be outside running than treadmilling. I was hoping that the weather would keep warming up to the high 40's, but now they are threatening Michigan with more snow! I just hope we don't have the terrible ice storms that make the trees break and roofs cave in again like the year before last.

I understand your ankle responding to high mileage. After my 5 mile run outside (an hour long), my Achilles tendon hurt the next day and the next (today they felt OK as I was treadmilling once again - 28 degrees outside ).

I started running for the first time ever last September. I began on the treadmill, barely able to run 1 mile. After 3 miles, I moved it to outside to get ready for a 5k in late Dec. Now, I run three times a week for 4 miles each time. I up my mileage by half a mile whenever the present mileage gets too easy. After the 5k race I caught the running bug, and I actually enjoy the activity, at first I kind of dreaded it lol.

I was running a bit more often until I broke my rib. Now it looks like I won't be running much if at all until June. If I do well enough racing I'll end the season early and train a bit for a triathlon for my shop and try to get up to 25miles a week.

I used to run all winter regardless of conditions. Now, I'm a bit lazier I guess.

There's still lots of snow and ice on the roads here so you have to be pretty careful. I've found a couple good routes though.

I'm actually thinking about running a race or 2 this year. It's always a fun experience.

Def running as long as i get my weight lifting in for the day. Benn doing a race every 2 weeks or so as well. Got a 10k coming up this weekend.

Some weeks i get 3-4 good sessions in at 30-45 mins a clip while other weeks i only get one in. I cycle as well, so I switch it up.

let me know how the race goes.

do u race mainly 5K & 10K?

just reading over all the posts here.

We should keep a thread going ... sort of a "runner's support group"

Gaia: aren't the trails a bit dicey with the ice? I go out of my way looking for ice free routes. (of course I'm a bit freaked out with my wrist I guess )

hsorlando: that's awesome you've caught the bug!!! I find it to be an amazing stress reliever. I wish I could run higher mileage but I'll take whatever my body will give me.

VP: I knew you would give Tri a try!!!!!! That's great!

Aaron: you'll be hooked soon

I run, but only at around 15-20 miles a week or so. Two or three times a month I try to do a nice, slow long run of an hour and a half or two hours.

Last month I did a half-marathon in 1:52, which is a decent pace (for me).

It's kind of strange balance, lifting weights and running.

know what you mean Bill

Running doesn't work well if you are too big.

I'm a bigger guy and I really find that high mileage takes its toll on my feet and ankles.

I'd love to do another half marathon, but I'll pass on doing another full marathon. That was way too tough on my body

are you planning another race soon?

Most of the races are 5 and 10k's but i can do more. I am not fast, ever have been. I don't think I was built to be a fast runner; even when I was farily lean, I never went any faster than 8min miles. I did run a mile in 6:15 and I thought I was going to hurl afterwards. I marvel at how people do sub 5 min miles on and on and on....

It's weird b/c I have such naturally super strong and built legs and when I went to a running doctor to get a check up when I was injured he was impressed at how they were built and said I should excel but I have a larger fame. I could never look like those paper thin runners.

It is a peculiar combo, bbing and running but I enjoy it. I do intend on doing the marathon next yr and I am already signed up for a half marathon in june on the streets of nyc whichwill be only my second one ever. Very excited about it.

I usually post my results for races on my training journal but i'll give you a heads up on mon to let you know how the sun race went. I am generally averaging 10 min miles right now; nothing spectacular, just moving my body to feel good. I'd prob be faster if I had less weight on me but it's not the case right now.

Running support group, I am totally down! I love the vibe of your posts JW. They always get me revived and smiling

you know, that's the beautiful thing about running... it doesn't matter how fast you are. You compete against yourself and the running community embraces you regardless of your ability.

I really like the half marathon distance. The full marathon just hurt!

Best of luck with the racing! The half marathon sounds amazing!

To: the runners support group lol.

Tonight I ran with 4 other people, it used to be only me and the running instructor, but we recently doubled our group. We ran 2miles together, to a lake, then back to the gym. Then I ran by myself for another 2.5 miles. So today I ran 4.5 miles, which is my longest distance yet. I could probably up it by half a mile each week, but I'd rather take my time, so I don't get discouraged. I think personnally I would be satisfied running 5,10, 15 and possibly once in a while 20ks. Right now I have 5ks down, and hope to be up to 10k soon. Then I'll be half way to my goal!

Edited by hsorlando

To: the runners support group lol.

Tonight I ran with 4 other people, it used to beonly me and the running instructor, but we recently doubled. We ran 2miles together, to a lake, then back to the gym. Then I ran by myself for another 2.5 miles.So today I ran 4.5 miles, which is my longest distance yet. I could probably up it by half a mile each week, but I'd rather take my time, so I don't get discouraged. I think personnally I would be satisfied running 5,10, 15 and possibly once in a while 20ks. Right now I have 5ks down, and hope to be up to 10k soon. Then I'll be half way to my goal!

congrats on the new distance!!!

be careful not to up your mileage too much too quickly. That's one of the most common ways to get injured.

Did you get the "runner's high" when you continued on?

I still remember the first time I got it.... felt like I could run forever!

I went for a nice brisk 25 minute run last night.

I was pleasantly surprised as that route has been taking me 28 minutes.

I pushed it a bit but I think I can do better.

ohhhh I think a 5K is in my future!!!!

my ankle is a bit tender this morning and I really need to get some more sleep.

That little puppy of ours is wreaking havoc with my sleep patterns.

Ive started running again in training for Parkour.

Yesterday I was doing 100 meter sprints, after each one I would do ten dips, then ten body weights squats, then do another 100 meters. It was amazing how tired I got. Especially after the dips. Ugh.

My question for all those runners out there. If you weight lift a certain body heavy one day, I know its not good to weight lift that same part heavy the next day. Is it the same with running? My legs arent even sore from yesterday, and my Parkour work out of the day is asking for a 20 minute free running session.

I guess what Im wondering is if its ok to run everyday, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. I do get rest days, but just wondering.

most runners will have a rest day somewhere during the week and a cross training activity (like biking) once a week.

I've always done more cross training because my body can't take too much impact from running.

It really depends upon what your body can stand but it would make sense to get a rest day in there.

I run 3 days a week. Usually it's Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I find that if I run 2 days in a row it's not that I'm sore, but that my legs just get soooooo tired. I also take about 6 group exercise classes a week, so it's not like running is all I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick update. Last Thursday I ran five miles, and this past Tuesday I ran five miles. It didn't feel too difficult, except for being tired at the end of the run. Today I also ran but only 4 miles. It's weird but for some reason the last two times I've run I have had side cramps. I don't know what I've done differently this week, although on Monday I kind of hurt my back a little. Maybe that had something to do with it, but my back feels fine now, or perhaps I ate too soon bwfore I ran. Well hopefully I'll feel better when I run Saturday.

I've been running a bit. About 4-5 times per week. I ran a 5k in (the gym) at 22:30, which is kind of fast for me. Generally speaking though, I hate running in the gym because it is insanely boring.

I'm still working on losing weight. I think my running will be a lot faster, hopefully, in a few more months.

I run 3 days a week. Usually it's Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I find that if I run 2 days in a row it's not that I'm sore, but that my legs just get soooooo tired. I also take about 6 group exercise classes a week, so it's not like running is all I do.

Wow...that's quite a bit of working out!

I've been running a bit. About 4-5 times per week. I ran a 5k in (the gym) at 22:30, which is kind of fast for me. Generally speaking though, I hate running in the gym because it is insanely boring.

I'm still working on losing weight. I think my running will be a lot faster, hopefully, in a few more months.

Wow...that's quite a bit of working out!

That's a pretty good time Bill

I'm in the same boat re: trying to shed some pounds.

It will only make us faster!!!

• 5 years later...