Who's running now????

JW

I have hand surgery this Friday, so all I can do is cardio right now and running is primary. I cannot run for long at a stretch (have only recently started working out again regularly). I primarily run on a treadmill as I have small children.

I need to sign up for a race to keep me on track as soon as I can work in some more outside running time!

• 3 months later...
I have hand surgery this Friday, so all I can do is cardio right now and running is primary. I cannot run for long at a stretch (have only recently started working out again regularly). I primarily run on a treadmill as I have small children.

I need to sign up for a race to keep me on track as soon as I can work in some more outside running time!

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery !!

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I haven't run in quite awhile. Early this year I badly sprained my ankle, and stopped running until it got better. Then I moved for a summer internship in Boston, and worked everyday, and life just got too busy for me to find the time. I also haven't been inspired to get back into it. I hope I get back into running soon, because it really was good cardio for me, even though I hated beginning I always loved the way I felt after. I still want to do a 1/2 and full marathon some day, and of course that means I have to start running again soon.

• 2 months later...

I ended up signing up for a half-marathon which I just completed last month! My goal was just to finish as I have never run a race before. I felt quite proud of myself and can definitely see myself running another.

I have a question for more experienced runners. I have been having a hard time getting back to running regularly since the HM. I cannot blame the race as I felt great afterward (I attribute my lack of aches/soreness to my diet). But for some reason, I just can't lace the shoes up and go regularly.

Normal? Temporary you think?

I had a similar issue after doing a full. I had a hard time focusing on running (or any other exercise for that matter). Over time it passed. I know things like this are fairly common and have heard a bit of speculation as to why it happens one of the most common hypotheses is that after spending a bunch of time and emotional energy focused on a single goal you lose motivation in that absence of that goal. I found going out just for short runs 20-30 minutes every other day really helped get back in the swing of things but I think it was a month or two before I even got that far.

So today I ran 4.5 miles, which is my longest distance yet. I could probably up it by half a mile each week, but I'd rather take my time, so I don't get discouraged.

Yes, taking your time is wise. You might be fine initially with big increases in distance but it will catch up with you at some point.

A good, generally accepted rule is no more than a 10% increase to your long run each week.