Cardio, Appetite and Weight Loss

It seems like whenever I do a great deal of cardio, I get a voracious appetite for the entire next day.

What are your thoughts on this? I like doing alot of cardio to burn calories but I get massive hunger afterwards for at least 24hrs.

Feel like it defeats the purpose of trying to burn extra calories for weight loss. I always get an appetite after a good weight training session but it's controllable and is never the same hunger pain as after a big cardio session.

Opinions on how to control this....?

I had the same thing happen to me. So if I'm not sure about something I ask someone who is. The running instructor, who's been running for over 20 years just said to eat a little more, but not huge amounts. So the days that I run I do my best to consume more calories, not a lot but even a piece of fruit usually does the trick. Then the next day I'm not as hungry, and don't over indulge. But what works for one person may not work for another as we all know when it comes to fitness and nutrition.

I used to have the same problem when I swam and I think it was because I was going too hard, possibly anaerobically for part of the time.

Try going at your cardio slower. Use the talk test. You should be able to talk while you are doing cardio - not in complete sentences - but in halting breathy sentences.

You've just gotta force yourself to fight the urge. You'll get used to it. Part of that urge does come from the fact the we do burn more calories than lifters. Most elite endurance athletes burn 8-10,000 calories a day so they tend to eat a lot. Most lifters can't actually burn that much...they may eat that much but it takes 5-6 hours of intense lifting to come close to that and not many people can do that...while many triathletes, cyclists, rowers may train for 6-8 hours a day...sometimes more.

You've just gotta force yourself to fight the urge. You'll get used to it. Part of that urge does come from the fact the we do burn more calories than lifters. Most elite endurance athletes burn 8-10,000 calories a day so they tend to eat a lot. Most lifters can't actually burn that much...they may eat that much but it takes 5-6 hours of intense lifting to come close to that and not many people can do that...while many triathletes, cyclists, rowers may train for 6-8 hours a day...sometimes more.

Do you mean it's best to force yourself to stay hungry? That's something I used to do as well when I lost a lot of weight. I was thinking though, isn't it better to eat something like celery or carrots, something with low calories that you can just sit and munch without risk of putting on weight? That way you can at least keep your mouth occupied. And lots of water like big J big W said

I sometimes also have this urge for eating and eating, I make myself a huge meal and I think that's gonna be enought but after this I make myself more food even though I'm not really hungry, it's just I still have apetite, and then after a certain amount of calories I'm satisfied. Usually this happens during evening if I didn't had the chance to eat enough calories because I had to go to work or whatever. If my normal need is 2500 calories but only ate about 500 through the day, on evening I might end up eating a near 1500 cals meal! But it all depends on your mood, sometimes you can easily control it and sometimes not.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's refreshing to know i'm not alone. I just don't want to deprive my body and I just think it is screaming for fuel and massive amounts of growth b/c of its dormancy all of last year.

But I really want to lessen bf. I am going to keep trying to control the hunger; it is difficult though.

Potter, you're probably right; like anything else, you can get used to it.

JW, great point with the water. It's interesting, though, that with calorie dense foods, no matter how much fluids I drink, I can still put them down like it's nothing (nuts, seeds, etc...) whereas with fruits and veggies, I cannot. I just have to learn to stay away from the cravings......

Do you mean it's best to force yourself to stay hungry? That's something I used to do as well when I lost a lot of weight. I was thinking though, isn't it better to eat something like celery or carrots, something with low calories that you can just sit and munch without risk of putting on weight? That way you can at least keep your mouth occupied. And lots of water like big J big W said

That'll probably work since it isn't much different than not eating but for myself I'm better off eating nothing at all when I'm extremely hungry than eating something small. I'm no easily satisfied with smaller amounts of food and will eat more once I start eating real food if I've been warmed up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's refreshing to know i'm not alone. I just don't want to deprive my body and I just think it is screaming for fuel and massive amounts of growth b/c of its dormancy all of last year.

Hunger is triggered in the brain. Although its a good evolutionary strategy(your brain lets you know when you need calories) your autonomic nervous system isnt aware of your body fat goals. Eat what you think you should, not what you feel like eating. If you want a good approximation of what someone who does a lot of cardio looks like when they gorge and give in to their ridiculous cravings, I can post a picture of my belly.

I have always felt that the body knows what it needs, if I feel like eating something I will eat it.

I don't get hungry if I do cardio at all, I lose my appetite totally and I can't eat for some time after it (I mean like days). If I'm outside all day walking and taking pictures, things like that (slow things), then I get a huge appetite after it, which is great. Also lifting weights gets me hungry. Pilates and yoga don't seem to have an impact on my appetite.