Female, 42 and Bodybuilding - DV's Journal

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey DV, I was scanning your journal. Looks great, I am very impressed by the amount of food you eat and the amount of protein. Must be nice to be naturally thin Depending on what kind of training I am doing, I usually don't eat more than 1200-1400 calories and my protein averages between 75 and 100 grams of protein a day.

Don't like Cardio, WHY lol I love it, but then I love anything athletic, I have been doing something Aerobic my whole life. But really didn't get into weight lifting until 1995.

Keep lifting hard and heavy!

L&G, glad I could be motivational. The 100 lb press was a goal of mine and my trainer said let's just go for it. It felt great! Even if it was only for 3. Now my goal it to bench press my body weight, even if it's only one rep.

BethL, I do eat a lot of food, LOL! Yesterday, I think I packed away 4000 calories at a potluck. I will pay for that one. I found a friend who wants to lose weight and is willing to have a little contest with me so I will be looking at your calorie range and some cardio soon. I should lose about 8-10 pounds of fat and then start putting on mass again, but I need the boost of competition to do it. Sad, I know.

How tall are you that you can survive on so little? I'm 5'10" so I start dropping lean mass when I go below 1500-1600 calories, at my current intake. I'm sure I could "reset" my metabolism to eat less but I'm too much of a piggy to do that!

L&G, glad I could be motivational. The 100 lb press was a goal of mine and my trainer said let's just go for it. It felt great! Even if it was only for 3. Now my goal it to bench press my body weight, even if it's only one rep.

BethL, I do eat a lot of food, LOL! Yesterday, I think I packed away 4000 calories at a potluck. I will pay for that one. I found a friend who wants to lose weight and is willing to have a little contest with me so I will be looking at your calorie range and some cardio soon. I should lose about 8-10 pounds of fat and then start putting on mass again, but I need the boost of competition to do it. Sad, I know.

How tall are you that you can survive on so little? I'm 5'10" so I start dropping lean mass when I go below 1500-1600 calories, at my current intake. I'm sure I could "reset" my metabolism to eat less but I'm too much of a piggy to do that!

Hi DV, I am 5'8 and around 153 pounds (I stopped using the scale two weeks ago, too frustrating) But I am a slow oxidizer, so I have to really watch the calories. I can maintain pretty good around 1600-1800 when I am working out daily but to lose fat I have to dip lower. I really want to lose a good 10 pounds of fat now too, but not even thinking about getting cut until next year.

I have been reading some of the figure models profiles and when they get close to show time, they are only eating around 1200/1300 calories on average. I probably fall more in that group since I gain fat really easy.

I haven't been posting everything I eat here. I track my food on a website called sparkpeople.com. But I am going to keep an eye on your training if you don't mind. From what pictures I have seen and your posts you are doing a fantastic job.

Well time to hit the gym. Have a great day

Nutrition: I'm really lame right now with tracking this. I have a whole lot of food left over from entertaining and I'm not sure of the nutritional content of most of it. My cutting phase starts the beginning of June. Things might be a bit loose until then. I wouldn't mind adding another pound or two of muscle this month.

Legs

Stiff Legged Dead Lifts

95 x 15

115 x 12

135 x 8

135 x 8

145 x 4

Sumo Squats with DB

80 x 12

90 x 10

100 x 8

100 x 9

Walking Lunges with DBs

30s x 20

35s x 18

37s x 16

Leg Extensions

120 x 12

127 x 10

135 x 8

135 x 8

Seated Leg Curls

45 x 14

60 x 12

75 x 11

90 x 8

Calf Press

135 x 28

135 x 25

135 x 25

Donkey Calf

120 x 20 - too heavy for good form

105 x 20

105 x 21

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspirational tune is

by Rammstein.

I worked out with Robert today. He was on legs, I did chest. Great workout except he wore those damn green pants again. Too bright for the early morning!

Chest

Incline Bench Press - Barbell

45 x 15

55 x 12

65 x 10

75 x 8

80 x 6

80 x 6

Flat Bench Press - Barbell

75 x 12

85 x 9

95 x 6

105 x 4 - with assist on last two

Decline Cable Fly

40 x 12

40 x 12

50 x 6 - too heavy

40 x 9

Incline Cable Fly

30 x 9

30 x 8

30 x 8

30 x 8

Pushups

BW x 12

BW x 9

BW x 10

Thanks for posting your workouts! They've given me ideas about how I want to mix mine up. After three weeks of full body weights three days a week, I think I'm ready to shake things up, break up my weight days and get more cardio. I really need to maximise my time in the gym.

I hope to have time this weekend to go through your whole blog I've seen a lot of great information in here from just skimming through.

Great job and thanks for setting a great example!!

Karmacharger, I'm happy you've found something useful in my log. I tend to change my workout every week except for frequency. I only exercise each body part once per week. I will also be adding cardio to my routine (not happily as I hate cardio) since I'm going to enter a cutting phase (also not happily as I love to eat).

Good luck with your goals!

You're still talking about my pants????

I'm going to wear pink spandex and a matching headband one of these days we workout and you're going to learn to love it!

I'm off to the gym again this morning for a before 9AM workout.

Have a good week, have fun at VegFest.

See you when I get back.

You wear them, I am visually assaulted by them, I talk about them. It's only fair. If you wear pink spandex I may have to beat you down.

Have fun during your travels. Call me when you return.

Karmacharger, I'm happy you've found something useful in my log. I tend to change my workout every week except for frequency. I only exercise each body part once per week. I will also be adding cardio to my routine (not happily as I hate cardio) since I'm going to enter a cutting phase (also not happily as I love to eat).

Good luck with your goals!

I talked to my trainer about splitting my weights but he wants me to stay at moderate weights and higher reps and continue with my full-body workout. He says it's best for my weight loss.

For me, the trick to getting back into cardio was good music. Once I have a soundtrack to take me fast and far, I feel invincible.

I also once downloaded a "Cardio Coach" he was both cute and annoying. It worked though. It kept me at a decent pace and challenged me when I might otherwise not have been working it as hard I as I could've.

As for Rob's workout attire... maybe you need to pick him up a "Mansy" from Lululemon and see if he can pull off this hot little number...

http://re3.yt-thm-a02.yimg.com/image/1/f11/668608393

Not sure if the image will work but you can go to the link and check it out. . .

If Robert ever wears one of those things, I will run!

I find 80s dance music helpful during cardio.

I often hear your trainer's philosophy on weight training for weight loss. I don't personally believe it. For what it's worth, my thoughts on weight loss are as follows:

Calorie restriction is the most effective way to lose fat (too much leads to lean tissue loss as well). Cardio is an effective way of maintaining fat loss but not the best way to lose fat. Weight lifting is the most effective way of gaining strength and/or building muscle mass (which may lead to fat loss because of an increased resting metabolic rate - so long as calorie intake is not increased too much). Weight lifting might lead to slight weight loss if a sedentary person begins to lift moderate weights/high reps (more calorie expenditure) and maintains the same caloric intake.

If I am lifting then it's for strength or muscle hypertrophy. If I'm doing cardio then it's to boost my fat loss process. I've left 2 trainers due to this difference in beliefs. I'll only pay someone to help me gain muscle or improve technique, since losing fat depends mostly on what I put into my mouth. I think that weight loss which occurs with higher rep training is due to restricted calories at the same time - not that type of lifting. Just my two cents on it, not that you asked.

You wear them, I am visually assaulted by them, I talk about them. It's only fair. If you wear pink spandex I may have to beat you down.

Have fun during your travels. Call me when you return.

Just finished a chest workout. I had my hair up in a fountain today, rather than ponytail.

It was cool.

Yeah, I'll see you when I get back. My trainer will take measurements soon so I'm a bit nervous. I made great gains then when I got sick twice over the past 6 weeks it slowed me down a bit. I haven't weighed myself sine your gym when it frightened me....then I started back on creatine so hopefully that has helped!

Have great workouts, catch you again soon!

Oh, he will bring them for sure.........

Nutrition: Calories 1750, Protein 100 gms

Shoulders

Seated Press w/ DBs - Arnold I

20 x 15

25 x 12

30 x 9

30 x 9

30 x 9

32 x 6

Upright Rows

50 x 15

60 x 11

60 x 9

65 x 8

DB Lateral Raise

17 x 10

17 x 10

17 x 10

17 x 11

DB Front Raise

15 x 10

15 x 10

15 x 10

DB Rear Delts

15 x 12

15 x 12

17 x 9

17 x 9

Shrugs w/ Plates

45s x 15

45s x 15

45s x 15

ABS

Cardio x 30 minutes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Inspirational tune is "Give Me Tonight" by Shannon. A CLASSIC 1980's video. Ah, I was a college freshman with my very first Apple computer. It cost $2000 and weighed about 30 lbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by DV

So Robert doesn't have much fashion sense when it comes to workout gear! I wonder if he'll bring the green pants to Florida lol. I may have to run too!

I am bringing them to Florida!

I take them everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DV, I trained chest today. It was a good one, but I was short on sleep and it was early and I felt hungry part way through.....it was still good though.

We'll hammer it out when I get back.

Stay SWOL!

Calorie restriction is the most effective way to lose fat (too much leads to lean tissue loss as well). Cardio is an effective way of maintaining fat loss but not the best way to lose fat. Weight lifting is the most effective way of gaining strength and/or building muscle mass (which may lead to fat loss because of an increased resting metabolic rate - so long as calorie intake is not increased too much). Weight lifting might lead to slight weight loss if a sedentary person begins to lift moderate weights/high reps (more calorie expenditure) and maintains the same caloric intake.

I appreciate your insight. I've been coming to that same conclusion. I mean, I'm doing "everything" right and still, the scale is being wonky. Yes, I know, muscle weighs more than fat but... this is crazy. I've lost inches in most places which is great but I'd like to see the scale drop some more. My diet is very healthy but unless I start tracking calories, I might be getting more than my share. Today is my first day of tracking and so far so good. I'm just not sure what my range should be but I'll figure that out easily enough. That's what the internet is for.

I actually don't mind doing full body weights. I'm still getting stronger and in some cases, I only do an exercise once and that I love. I'll see where I'm at in two weeks... if after calorie counting I'm not seeing losses... I'll try something new. This reminds me of a letter to the readers Robert Kennedy once penned for Oxygen he talked about how a client had followed his advice to the letter and came crying to his office two weeks later, upset that she hadn't seen results. He reminded her (and all of us) that you can't undo a lifetime of poor choices in two weeks. And so, I'll stick with my program and see what happens. Sorry, too much venting and it's not even in my blog.

Vent away, Karmacharger! I also think that your metabolism can "reset" itself at a lower caloric intake so it's best to only go very low for 2-3 days at most. Nothing sucks more than denying yourself for weeks on end and not seeing results.

It's gotta suck to restrict yourself to 1750 calories a day.

It hurts me bad. And I have to hide all the peanut butter in the house. I get intense peanut butter cravings when I restrict. Just can't explain it.

I am bringing them to Florida!

I take them everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DV, I trained chest today. It was a good one, but I was short on sleep and it was early and I felt hungry part way through.....it was still good though.

We'll hammer it out when I get back.

Stay SWOL!

Maybe you'll cut them into shorts in Florida. It's hot and humid there so that would be a good idea, especially since there would be so much LESS of them and their greenness!

I'll try to stay SWOL but I'm cutting now. I might get a bit weaker and will definitely be a bit smaller..............

Nutrition: Calories 1800, Protein 130 gms

Back

Hammer Strength Iso Low Row

35 x 15

45 x 12

50 x 10

55 x 8

55 x 8

60 x 7

Lat Pull Downs

90 x 11

100 x 7

90 x 10

90 x 10

Bent Over Barbell Rows

60 x 14

70 x 11

70 x 10

70 x 10

HS Iso High Rows

55 x 12

65 x 9

65 x 9

65 x 9

One Arm Rows w/ DBs

40 x 12

45 x 9

45 x 9

45 x 9

Standing Lower Back Extensions

Inspirational tune is "Voices" by Disturbed. This was the last band we saw in concert before my husband declared himself too old to go to any more. However, he'll make an exception for Rammstein.

Today is the farmers' market, VegFest and a baroque concert so no working out. I'll go for about 2000 calories since the last 3 days have been restrictive.

Yesterday.....

Nutrition: Calories 1650, Protein 130 gms

Triceps - my shoulders were sore from Thursday so I had to make some modifications to my planned workout.

Seated DB Triceps Extension (Overhead)

27 x 16

30 x 14

32 x 12

35 x 10

37 x 9

37 x 9

Pushdowns with Rope (end cable machine) - I note the different cables because the weights are different depending on the set-up of the cable and the length.

30 x 11

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

DB Kickbacks - Variation w/ 45 degree bend at hips instead of 90 degree.

15 x 13

17 x 11

17 x 10

17 x 10

Biceps

Seated Incline DB Curls

15 x 15

20 x 12

22 x 11

25 x 9

25 x 8

27 x 7

Cable Curls on Bench - I planned on Z-Bar curls but my wrists were sore. With this exercise, you lay face-up on a bench, keep your biceps fixed and pull the bar down to your forehead, bending your arms at the elbows.

40 x 13

50 x 8

50 x 7 - losing form, too heavy

40 x 10

Hammer Curls

20 x 12

22 x 8

22 x 8

22 x 8

Cardio for 30 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspirational tune was "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" by the Gap Band. I had just gotten the braces off my teeth when this song came out. Ahh, the memories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vent away, Karmacharger! I also think that your metabolism can "reset" itself at a lower caloric intake so it's best to only go very low for 2-3 days at most. Nothing sucks more than denying yourself for weeks on end and not seeing results.

Thanks DV! If I keep my calories too low, I feel sick. I have no energy and I lose my appetite completely. I think I need to keep them at a moderate level. When I used to do Weight Watchers, I couldn't stick to the 1100 calorie plan because even when I ate my "activity points" their math didn't add up to the extra fuel I needed so I would go into starvation mode and just store fat. Although, I must say I did lose 10lbs last year on WW but I wasn't exercising that much.

I'm trying to track all my food and see what days feel better than others, what foods make my body happy and which ones wreak havoc. I've noticed that when I up my protein intake too drastically, I throw up. I've experienced this on more than one occasion so I don't go overboard. My stomach can't handle it.

Have a great weekend!! Enjoy your 2000 calories!!

Sunday......

Nutrition: Calories 2400, Protein 100 gms

Legs

Reverse Hack Squat (superset with regular Hack Squat)

50 x 15

70 x 13

90 x 14

100 x 12

120 x 8

Hack Squat

50 x 12

70 x 10

80 x 9

90 x 8

Front Squat w/ DB

40 x 10

45 x 8

50 x 6

50 x 7

Seated Hamstring Curl

90 x 15

105 x 11

120 x 9

120 x 8

Leg Extensions

120 x 12

125 x 9

125 x 9

125 x 8

Monday was my off day. I went to a raw foods fund raising dinner and have no idea of my caloric intake. I think there were lots of nuts, avocado, oil, seeds and possibly coconut in the dishes. It was great but definitely too many fat calories. I sat next to a wonderful woman and made a new friend. We went out for a glass of wine afterwards and talked for almost 3 hours. That made up for the detour in my cutting phase.

Cool! New friends are great! I made some new friends in L.A. as well that I continued to hang out with that weekend.

I'm outta here again today but back next week and will be ready to hit the gym up. I'll need some pics from you since you're our triceps contest winner...or I could use the ones already submitted.

Have fun!

Robert, you know that I don't take pictures so you better use what's been submitted (and taken by you)!

Tuesday:

Nutrition: Calories 1600, Protein 100 gms

Shoulders

Seated DB Press

22 x 15

27 x 12

30 x 8

30 x 8

30 x 8

32 x 5 - could feel a "twinge" in my elbows, almost like I was stretching the nerve fibers a bit too much. Not a pleasant feeling.

DB 1-Arm Lateral Raise at 45 Degree Angle

15 x 12

17 x 9

17 x 10

17 x 10

DB Front Raise

15 x 12

17 x 8

17 x 8

17 x 8

Shrugs w/ Plates

45 x 15 x 4 sets

Rear Deltoid Cable Fly

7.5 x 12

7.5 x 12

7.5 x 12

7.5 x10

ABS

Cardio - 20 minutes

Some out-of-shape, out-of-town married guy tried picking me up at the gym. It was almost funny except for the look of disappointment on his face when I declined his invite for dinner - like other women say "Yes!?" Un-friggin-believable!!!!