Female, 42 and Bodybuilding - DV's Journal

If Robert ever wears one of those things, I will run!

I find 80s dance music helpful during cardio.

I often hear your trainer's philosophy on weight training for weight loss. I don't personally believe it. For what it's worth, my thoughts on weight loss are as follows:

Calorie restriction is the most effective way to lose fat (too much leads to lean tissue loss as well). Cardio is an effective way of maintaining fat loss but not the best way to lose fat. Weight lifting is the most effective way of gaining strength and/or building muscle mass (which may lead to fat loss because of an increased resting metabolic rate - so long as calorie intake is not increased too much). Weight lifting might lead to slight weight loss if a sedentary person begins to lift moderate weights/high reps (more calorie expenditure) and maintains the same caloric intake.

If I am lifting then it's for strength or muscle hypertrophy. If I'm doing cardio then it's to boost my fat loss process. I've left 2 trainers due to this difference in beliefs. I'll only pay someone to help me gain muscle or improve technique, since losing fat depends mostly on what I put into my mouth. I think that weight loss which occurs with higher rep training is due to restricted calories at the same time - not that type of lifting. Just my two cents on it, not that you asked.

I agree with you on alot DV... but not your views toward cardio.

I have yet to hear of a figure competitor, fitness model or trainer who has acheived their ideal physique for themselves or their clients with zero cardio if they had fat to lose. And I've personally spoken to dozens of figure competitors about their diet and training, and I've only come across 1 female who reduced her bodyfat to her ideal without doing any cardio. It was Sarah Orbanic and she was 26 . I have heard of lots of them who no longer require cardio because they are trying to maintain... but none who got the fat off initially without it. So I will be interested to track your journey to watch you get there without cardio. In my decade long obsession of studying journals and articles of figure competitors and Pre-Comp diet programs, I only found the one who said they didn't do any cardio, so I'll be interested in watching you prove me wrong... and get to your ideal body goal without doing the cardio

Thanks for the reminder on the importance of Calcium when doing high Protein. I was aware of this but had started slacking on taking my calcium supplements, so it was a good reminder for me to keep up on them.

(oh, and as a disclaimer to my statement... too much cardio and too high intensity cardio is definitely an enemy to muscle preservation and leads to muscle loss... that I believe... ok, 2 cents is done for the day)

KEEP UP THE INSPIRING JOURNAL!!!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, just when I thought I could get away with no cardio.............

I am not talking about those last few body fat percentages - just overall fat loss. I do believe that you have to do cardio, restrict and live a horrid life in the weeks leading up to competition! My journal follows my journey, which is not to that point as yet.

I will say that cutting 300 calories while expending 300 calories on cardio will give you more than a 600 calorie deficit - because of the post-workout metabolism boost.

As someone who hates cardio, I am doing the least until it's proven that I have to do more. If it works for you then by all means - do it! I don't believe in doing cardio while bulking (unless you like it) but can definitely see the point during a cutting phase. Since I don't do cardio during my maintenance or bulking phases, it may have more impact during a cutting phase - when I intend to use it the most. I just don't see the point of it during a bulking phase.

So, I'm not totally anti-cardio but I don't think it has the same impact as calorie restriction when it comes to fat loss.

ahh... okay.... thanks for clearing that up. I really thought you intended on doing absolutely no cardio all the way through to your goal or to your comp (if you still plan on doing a comp... I know youve toyed with it)....

The reality is that I have to pick on you about cardio, because cardio sucks so noone is immuned from the suckiness that is cardio, so I have to drag everyone down into the cardio hell trenches with me...... Otherwise, how would it ever be fair

Hey, I've done 2 cardio sessions in the last week! They almost killed me, woman!!!!

I still plan to compete, but not until 2010. I want to add about 15 to 20 lbs of muscle first. I want to go in strong. I figure that I'll have until about age 60 to continue competing, so why rush it?

Wednesday.........

Nutrition: Calories 2200, Protein 120 gms

Back

HS Low Iso Row

35 x 15

45 x 12

55 x 9

60 x 8

60 x 8

60 x 9

Seated Rows

90 x 14

110 x 10

110 x 10

11 x 9

Lat Pulldowns w/ Parallel Grip

90 x 10

90 x 9

90 x9

90 x 9

Straight Arm Pulldowns

40 x 13

50 x 7

45 x 8

45 x 7

One Arm Rows

40 x 12

45 x 9

47 x 8

Calves

Thursday....... rest day with Nutrition: Calories 1600, Protein 70 gms

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took my first sewing class last night (first I sewed since high school) and had to take off my jacket to match a pattern with my tank top. One of the women gasped and asked which gym I use. Then she said she could take me to the "gun" show after the class - the instructor had no idea what she was referring to, very funny. Anyway, I see a great opportunity for advancing a plant-based diet here!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took my first sewing class last night (first I sewed since high school) and had to take off my jacket to match a pattern with my tank top. One of the women gasped and asked which gym I use. Then she said she could take me to the "gun" show after the class - the instructor had no idea what she was referring to, very funny. Anyway, I see a great opportunity for advancing a plant-based diet here!!!

Nice!

Thanks for all of your replies!

I am sorry to announce that I will no longer be posting on this forum and will no longer be updating this journal. If you would like to contact me, my email address is [email protected]. Don't hesitate if you have any questions or would just like to chat.

I still plan to compete in 2010 and will answer any serious inquiries regarding bodybuilding.

Take care and good luck with all of your goals!!

Diane

Huh... Why???????

You can't leave!!!

Seriously... your expertise is desperately needed. Think of all the poor lost souls that will be steered the wrong way without you? YOu are the voice of reason and knowledge and everybody respects you here.

Please, please reconsider Diane. Please ????

If you leave this whole forum will change....

Maybe you just need a little break....

Tell ya what I'll let you have takesy-backseys with the "no longer posting thing"....

just kidding... but seriously.... you are going to make me stage a protest if you leave. How about limited amounts of DV knowledge in this place... like once a week or something... if this place is driving you too crazy....

Say once a week???? Just to slap some sense into the nutty theories and random threads that pop up daily.

Don't make me stage a sit in Diane... I am really really busy right now... but I will... I'll chain myself to something and have a sit in somewhere...

(ok, I'm trying to make light of this, but I am really serious.... I don't want you to leave... I'll start a keep-DV-on-VBB-telethon....)

I am sorry to announce that I will no longer be posting on this forum and will no longer be updating this journal.

Well, crap.

I've learned a lot from your posts and will miss having you on the forum!

Yo, PM me if you want to talk about it, if there's something which has happened which could be solved in some way

I agree with Richard.....which I do 99% of the time......DV, you're becoming one of my best friends, so please talk to me.....I know I've been away for two weeks and haven't been home, but I was just about to write to ask if you wanted to train in a couple of days?

I don't "read" the forum, just look at photos and post news, welcomes and photos, so I don't know what goes on until moderators or admins or others let me know....that is why I have admins.....to help with resolution of issues.

Anyway, I was just about to start a random thread (before I knew you left) about how great it is that we're recruiting new members and I was going to use you as an example since I recruited you here from another vegan forum years ago, saying, "Imagine what the forum would be like if I hadn't recruited DV to be part of our team."

I'm home tomorrow......let's workout, talk and eat some high protein foods.

Wow. Thanks for all of the concern and kind words.

Leaving the forum was a very difficult decision and reading your posts on this thread was upsetting and uplifting. I won't publicly post my reasons for leaving or returning but will answer any pms or emails (as those of you who have contacted me know).

Tonight, I worked out with Robert. I'm currently in a "cutting" phase and expect to lose about 10 lbs over the next 7-8 weeks. I hope most of it is fat. I'll post my current fat ratio when I have it tested in the next week.

Nutrition: Calories 1600, Protein 90 gms

Chest

Incline Barbell Press

45 x 15

55 x 12

65 x 12

75 x 8

85 x 5

Flat Barbell Bench Press

65 x 14

85 x 10

95 x 7

100 x 4

Incline Fly Machine

30 x 12

30 x 10

40 x 8

40 x 8

Flat Bench DB Flys

17 x 15

20 x 12

22 x 10

25 x 8

Pec Dec (Flys)

40 x 10

40 x 10

40 x 9

40 x 9

Cardio - Riding my bike to work and home. How can the wind blow against me going and coming?

Currently reading The Blue Zones. It's an easy, interesting read. It looks at the characteristics shared by centenarians in the the areas where they live in highest concentrations.

(I edited this to replace centurions with centenarians. I don't know what I was thinking.)

Edited by DV