Female, 42 and Bodybuilding - DV's Journal

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nutrition: Calories 1500, Protein 65 gms

Rest day.

Had my second sewing class tonight!

You know, you are going to make a very good Mormon wife one day.

As a side note, one of my good female friends is Mormon, and she's really cute too. I asked her to marry me. She said no.

Josh, that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. But let's see if my skirt even looks like a skirt in 2 weeks. I'm not sure if you fit the Mormon stereotype, so I'm not surprised she said no!

Today I was with my trainer. We worked my hamstrings so hard that I could not lift my legs after the following 3 exercises. He's good. We are going to divide my legs into Hamstrings one day and Quads/Glutes another day (which we decided after this workout). So I'll be lifting 6 days per week with one day off.

Nutrition: Calories 1500, Protein 95 gms

Legs

Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts

95 x 14

115 x 12

135 x 8

135 x 7

135 x 8

Lying Leg Curls - 4 drop sets

40 x 12 and 30 x ? (to exhaustion)

35 x 10 and 25 x ?

35 x 8 and 20 x ?

35 x 8 and 20 x ?

Glute Squats - I've described these before, I think.

No weight x 12

10 x 12

20 x 12

40 x 8

40 x 7

And then I crawled home, basically. My legs are still weak, the weakest they've ever been. I have a very good feeling about this trainer. And it doesn't hurt that he placed (1st in 3 divisions, 2nd in one) in 2 competitions this year - and is planning on competing again in 2010. Great motivation for a common goal!

I have not thought of that! That is an inspirational thought of dividing my leg routine into two parts: Quads and Hamstrings. That way you can up your leg routine a notch!

What is your six day routine right now if I may ask? I would like to compare.

I hadn't thought of it either, but my trainer has unbelievable legs so I'm certainly willing to try! My weekly routine looks like this:

Chest

Quads and Glutes

Back

Shoulders and Abs

Hamstrings

Arms and Calves

I actually do calves and abs on the days that I have more time, so they can be anywhere. Sometimes I do abs twice per week. During busy weeks, I'll probably do shoulders with hamstrings. My trainer's split looks similar except that he does shoulders with chest - I would be too fatigued to get in a good shoulder workout if I put them together.

Let me know how it works out for you if you split up your leg routine.

Nutrition: Calories 2000, Protein 90

Triceps

DB Triceps Extension - like a skull crusher, but with DBs

10 x 15

15 x 13

17 x 7

17 x 8

17 x 8

17 x 8

Seated DB Triceps Extension

30 x 14

35 x 12

37 x 8

37 x 8

One-Arm Reverse Push Downs

10 x 18 - too light

12 x 10

12 x 8 - too heavy, not good form

10 x 15 - too light, this wasn't working too well for me today

Biceps

Seated Incline DB Curls

17 x 15

22 x 12

25 x 8

25 x 8

25 x 8

Standing DB Curls

25 x 10

25 x 9

25 x 9

25 x 9

Hammer Curls

20 x 9

20 x 10

20 x 9

20 x 8

Abs

Cardio - I rode my bike today

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspiration tune is Come Into My Arms by Judy Torres. I'm on a real 80's roll these days.

I usually don't have time to check other's blogs but was browsing this one right now and read about the fall out. I didn't read everyone's responses to it but I instantly thought this would be a catastrophic event of immense proportions to vbb.com. In other words, you're important. Your medical background, compassion to learn and help others is what helps make this forum top notch. This forum needs more individuals like yourself. I'm glad ya dusted ya shouldas off.

Wooo!

Only 90 grams? I'm dissapointed in you.

Inspiration tune is Come Into My Arms by Judy Torres. I'm on a real 80's roll these days.

This is just too much.

Hey DV!

See you again soon. I'm out of town but look forward to training together again soon. I saw a fit women at my gym doing cable rows for mid back and I was thinking that DV would blow her out of the water!

Make it happen!

This is just too much.

I know right??? She's weaning herself away from our club Josh

This is just too much.

I know right??? She's weaning herself away from our club Josh

and I know... the R.D. seminar you went to inspired you to reduce, your protein... yadda yadda yadda.... but still..... you're in the club!!

Troy, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad it's all in the past! I take as much as I give to this forum, so I would have missed all of you tremendously. I don't post much without having researched topics to my satisfaction and some of the questions that pop up here have sent me in areas I may not have ventured on my own. Additionally, you all keep me honest with my workouts and eating!

Josh and VeggiePrincess, c'mon........... I'm still getting at least 1.2 gms per kg of body weight!!! I'm like a human guinea pig for the next 4-5 months. But I'll be honest. This past week was a total disaster in a dietary sense for a number of reasons - I've taken a vacation from my cutting for this week and plan on only maintaining. I have noticed that eating more carbs, even whole foods carbs (think grains, fruits, beans) makes me want to eat MORE carbs. Don't read the following if you are yucked out by woman stuff. It could be the combination of PMS along with a huge dinner party that kicked off the week, but I've been like a bottomless pit and have been unable to stop myself. Very odd for me. So I may have to return to high protein, lower carbs for my cutting phase - I just can't easily diet and high protein keeps my hunger feelings low. Happy now?

On to the journal entry:

This week was my worst for the year - dietary and workout goals were poor. I won't post them. My average caloric intake was probably in the 2500-2600 range for the week and I missed working my chest and triceps. Also, I only got in one cardio session. I'm okay with it since I'm giving myself until 2010 to compete and realize that I'll have the occasionally week like this. However, I don't anticipate anything like this happening again until at least August or September - when the big family reunion and travels happen.

I've had a similar week! OMG! For me it's been a combination of fighting a throat infection and having my period that has sent my eating and work outs off the rails. I haven't worked out though. Not once. I've been too weak. Ugh. Yesterday's dinner out at a Chinese restaurant was not what I needed.

Good luck getting back to where you want to be! We all need week's/days of slippage to remind us why we do this in the first place. I for one don't like how I feel so I'm hoping to hit the gym this weekend.

Regardless, be proud of yourself for how far you've come and don't look back. Just hop back on your program and you will be more than fine. You can do it!!!

Zack, I can't believe you just spewed on my journal! It's just for my cutting phase, just for a little while...........

Karmacharger, I knew that someone out there must also have bad weeks. I thought about just not posting this week but realized that would be unfair. You have to admit to the bad with the good to keep yourself honest. Thanks for sharing!

Nutrition for today will consist of about 1500 calories and 120 mg protein. I'm working hamstrings with my trainer again and won't post the workout. I'll resume regular posting tomorrow - when my husband starts going to the gym with me to "do what you do for a month." He's so cute.

Sunday - first day training with my husband. Once he caught on to the idea that an assist did not mean pulling weight completely off of me, things got better.

Nutrition: Calories 1700, Protein 80 gms

Chest

Barbell Incline Press

45 x 15

65 x 13

75 x 10

85 x 5 - would have been 6 with assist

85 x 6

Flat Bench DB Press

30 x 13

35 x 9

35 x 8

35 x 8

DB Flat Bench Flys

20 x 13

22 x 12

25 x 9

25 x 8

Incline Fly - Paramount Machine

25 x 12

30 x 9

30 x 9

30 x 10

Pushups

BW x 7

BW x 6

Done! We couldn't do any more after the push ups. I think I kicked my husband's ass but good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently reading Twilight in the Desert by Matthew R. Simmons. It's about the coming Saudi oil shock and the world economy. Many of us think we're up to date on world affairs because we watch the news, read news publications, etc. That is so not true. This is one of those books that give you the story that's not reported by conventional news channels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, we trained back but I've lost my log book. I did not eat clean that day.

Tuesday......

Nutrition: Calories 1400, Protein 120 gms

Shoulders

Shoulder Press I

17 x 15

22 x 14

27 x 12

30 x 9

30 x 7

32 x 6

Shoulder Press II

22 x 8

20 x 8

17 x 10

17 x 10 - better form with lighter weight as this really hits the lateral aspect of the shoulders

Upright Rows

40 x 15

60 x 8

60 x 8

60 x 9

One Arm DB Lateral Raise - hanging from Smith machine

12 x 12

15 x 9

15 x 9

15 x 8

Bent-Over DB Lateral Raise

12 x 10

12 x 10

12 x 10

12 x 10

I work out with my trainer today - quads and glutes. Saturday will be the last day working out with my husband and I'm looking forward to being on my own again. I'm no personal trainer so it feels strange to be critiquing someone else - although he's having a great time, he says, and getting some good ideas. I release a lot of stress during my workouts and it's difficult to do when you have to constantly talk to someone. Even someone you actually like talking to.

Howdy Partner,

I'm out of town again but return soon. I'll be home on the 9th and can train again. I've missed our workouts. Are my green pants allowed in your gym or did you shop at Good Will for me?

I'm in the market for some new pants.....not to replace the green ones, but I don't want to wear them out so quickly be using them everyday.

Have fun, see you soon.

Here's my post from yesterday. My internet connection was down AGAIN:

Robert, call me when you're back in town. I would like to be involved in choosing the color of any new pants.

Cubby, I'm actually getting better with remembering my weights so it wasn't too bad. However, keeping a log was essential to my gains earlier this year. I feel okay without writing everything down now, although it makes it a bit difficult if I don't post my workout immediately here. So I still usually write everything down.

So, I did not work out with my trainer yesterday. Someone screwed up and he couldn't keep our appointment. But it really was okay because I gave myself a tremendous workout and am incredibly sore today. Yesterday........

Nutrition: Calories 2200, Protein 130 gms

Legs and Glutes - I wasn't planning on working out alone so I didn't track the weights and reps. Everything was done for 4 sets.

Reverse Hack supersetted with regular Hack Squats

Straight-Legged Dead Lifts

Walking Lunges

Leg Extensions

Butt Blaster

Today........

Nutrition: Calories 1500, Protein 100 gms

Rest day. Had my last sewing class tonight and finished my skirt. It's so nice that I will make it again soon with a different type of material. One of the women in the class told me that I inspired her to start working out again!

Today (Friday) I'm off to the gym for biceps and cardio. Dinner with friends tonight. I think I'll keep my calories in the 2000-2200 range. I have no idea how much protein for the day.

Tomorrow is triceps and cardio. It will be a 1500-1700 calorie day with about 120 gms protein.

Have a good weekend!

your numbers put me to shame. please send some of your consistency my way.

Nice to see you sucking down more protein grams though, so we can all deplete the calcium stores from our brittle bones togehter!!!

LOL... I crack myself up!

(tomorrow I am going to thoroughly read the DRIs you sent me and plug some of Sierra's diets into the database to see how they measure up. Thanks again for your help!!!!!)

Don't sweat the calcium - eating a mere 100 mg more per day will more than make up for whatever extra protein you eat!

My consistency in the gym is great. My consistency with eating/drinking is not so good. We went to Nutshell tonight with some friends and stayed out drinking a couple of brandies. I agreed to host a dessert night tomorrow after they go to a show. I'll work triceps and do cardio tomorrow, but I don't know if the caloric/protein intake I gave today is a reality. I don't usually post my numbers beforehand - this is a good practice!

Hi all!

I have been neglecting this journal, I know. However, I have not been neglecting my workouts! I've been working out with a number of different workout partners (and my new trainer 2x per week) and have found that writing everything down is becoming cumbersome. I've graduated to the point where I don't need to track my workouts or my food - it's so second nature that it is very easy to estimate now.

Additionally, the sun is now out in Portland. This only happens from June to September here and we take full advantage of it. We hiked for 4.5 hours today, after the farmer's market. Tomorrow will be a whole day of food prep and as much sun exposure as possible. Sitting inside on a computer is very low on the priority list right now.

I may not post much this summer, but I'll probably be back when the rain returns. Here's the hike we took today:

Dog Mountain

Hey you!

I'm traveling like crazy, but I'll be home soon and want to train with you!

Glad the sun is back in Oregon....I'll be back there tomorrow. Let's train soon and stay SWOL during the summer! Miss you my friend!