Hi from Georiga

Flo

So I have this very awesome friend that has talked highly about this community so I've decided to turn here for some advice!

I am somewhat new to being vegan. Only since November 2007.

I was vegetarian for 2 years.

I guess first and most importantly I want to firm up and have more tone and definition. I am 5ft 4 and currently at 130.

My slow progress has been over the last year; I went from 149 to currently 130.

My current exercise is Ashtanga yoga. Yoga keeps me sane, besides my husband & dog!

I've moved my life towards a much healthier lifestyle with quitting smoking in 2003, going vegetarian in 2005, the vegan last year.

Incorporating Yoga into my daily routine (as much as possible).

I would love some pointers about how you got started with toning/firming up from any vegan ladies out there.

I am on a pretty tight budget and also pretty clueless when it comes to supplements & vitamins. I try to take a vegan multivitamin. So I am not sure where to start to just tone up?

Suggestions? There is so much information on here, I am excited to dig in.

Thanks!

Look forward to hearing from everyone..

Edited by Flo

Welcome Flo!

There are several women in great shape on this forum. I'm sure you can get some pointers by reading their posts and blogs. Names that come to mind are VeggiePrincess, SeaSiren and Gaia.

If you are looking to "tone" then the best way to do it is to gain muscle and lose fat. Depending on your underlying musculature, you may need to gain more muscle before you lose more fat. Or you may be able to lose fat with diet and cardio. I'm not a fan of cardio so I would suggest lifting and diet changes.

Good luck with your goals!

Welcome to the forum When it comes to supplements I say just eat well. You really only need a B12 supplement and other than that...pretty much everything else can be found in abundance in a vegan diet.

HighVelocity is a fairly new member but if you catch a glimpse of her physique on her training journal, you can see that she is in terrific shape and also a good person to question in the female dept when it comes to resistance training.

Welcome! So many people found this place as a support when first transitioning into veganism. It would've been cool to have been in the same boat but I stumbled upon this forum several yrs afterwards.

Whatever the case, nice to have you here. Is your friend a member already as well?

Congrats on your progress so far and welcome to the board!

The answer to your quest is going to be weight training AT LEAST 3 times a week, cardio to burn the fat and a proper diet with increased protein to bring it all together.

You're not that far from your goal if you fine tune these things.