A Toronto Hello

Andreafrancis

I just found this site again after having seen it a few years ago. I'm 32 a veggie and just started working out 1.5 months ago. My goal is to build muscle and look like a figure competitor. I found a workout partner whose goal is to compete and we workout three times a week together and I workout once or twice on my own.

I had been a vegan for three years in my early 20's, I became a vegan at the suggestion of my naturopath to clear up my eczema. I had tried to become a vegan for animal rights reasons before that but had discipline issues. Working with a naturopath made it easier. The vegan diet worked extremely well for my skin. I thought I was ezcema free for life! While a vegan I had the most positive thoughts too, I felt so happy then (do you all notice that?) But my skin problems (and mood swings) are back with full force so I need to become vegan again but forever. Plus if I'm going to build muscle and get fit, I'd like to do it the healthiest and kindest way.

Lying on the couch now I'm extremely motivated but when it comes to actually "doing" I lack the discipline I once had. I'll pour over all the postings and articles to learn more and get inspired, this site is a fabulous resource in both my vegan and bodybuilding goals. And the sense of community here is wonderful. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

My stats FYI

Female 5'5 139lbs 21%body fat

Andrea

Welcome!

I developed a form of eczema a couple of years ago (as a vegan). What I found to be most effective was increasing my omega 3 fatty acids, beta-carotene, vitamin C and selenium intakes.

Good luck with your goals!

Hey Andrea,

That's so cool you had a doctor coerce you into a vegan diet. I wish I had that; I was on my own. When I went to my doctor and told him I became vegan, he didn't understand what I was saying and then proceeded to ask me what I would do without sunday sauce with meat and cutlets. How I would live.........

3 years later, my family is finally supportive about it but they still razz me here and there but not in disapproval, just to tease.

My friend had very bad eczema on her knees and she nearly cleared it all up when she became raw and was an apprentice at a retreat center (Tree of Life). Interestingly enough, when she went back to cooked just recently, it came back. Her case is bad though and she has had it all of her life.

She's going raw again but just started.

Welcome! Look forward to reading your posts and seeing you around as often as your time and desire permits...

Thanks for the welcomes!

And DV thanks for your reply. I initially suspected my ezcema was due to a food sensitivity but think perhaps I'm deficient somewhere? maybe?. I like the idea of upping omega 3's and vit C. Need to do more research on the selenium, I suspect I'm ok there since eggs and cottage cheese were in my diet until yesterday.

Lean and Green, I had been a vegetarian when my naturopath suggested removing eggs and dairy (and sugar and caffeine), I was so happy with this suggestion. Sorry you had obstacles with your doctor. I have a hard time with people who make fun of other people's lifestyles. As for your friend with ezcema, I'd love to hear about her progress. Raw diet is something new to me, I don't really know what it's about yet but will read up on it here. I'll try anything to clear up my skin.

Talk soon!

I just found this site again after having seen it a few years ago. I'm 32 a veggie and just started working out 1.5 months ago. My goal is to build muscle and look like a figure competitor. I found a workout partner whose goal is to compete and we workout three times a week together and I workout once or twice on my own.

I had been a vegan for three years in my early 20's, I became a vegan at the suggestion of my naturopath to clear up my eczema. I had tried to become a vegan for animal rights reasons before that but had discipline issues. Working with a naturopath made it easier. The vegan diet worked extremely well for my skin. I thought I was ezcema free for life! While a vegan I had the most positive thoughts too, I felt so happy then (do you all notice that?) But my skin problems (and mood swings) are back with full force so I need to become vegan again but forever. Plus if I'm going to build muscle and get fit, I'd like to do it the healthiest and kindest way.

Lying on the couch now I'm extremely motivated but when it comes to actually "doing" I lack the discipline I once had. I'll pour over all the postings and articles to learn more and get inspired, this site is a fabulous resource in both my vegan and bodybuilding goals. And the sense of community here is wonderful. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

My stats FYI

Female 5'5 139lbs 21%body fat

Andrea

Welcome to VeganBodyBuilding! Where in the Toronto area are you from? I used to live in Burlington and Cabbagetown and did a lot of bicycle touring rides from Toronto to Montreal and Toronto to Ottawa to Montreal.

Anyways, again, welcome!

Welcome, Andrea!! You came to the right place to find inspiration. For me, it's hard not to be motivated when I read about the success of other forum members. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Mike

Hello Andrea,

Welcome to the forum.

This is a great little family here and hopefully you will learn alot.

Remember, it takes 21 days to form a habit, so just know that it will be "hard" until it gets "easier". The action part is the toughest. Some days I just have to force my mind into robotic mode to break through all of the excuses or things I'd rather be doing than working out.

PM me if you need any diet tips or guidance... and WELCOME!!!

Thanks for the welcomes!!!

Syrlinus, I live in Little Italy, College/Ossington. How was the ride to Montreal? Was there one long road you took for a majority of it?

I always like riding between Toronto and Montreal. There is a nice trail, as part of the TransCanada Trail, between Toronto and Montreal but I tend to use King's Highway 2 which follows the Lake for the most part.

This year I've decided my major tour will be at the end of August and will be NYC to Toronto to Montreal to NYC.

• 4 months later...

Hi Andrea, great to have you here

If you find some exercises that you enjoy, you will get to where you want to.

I think DV's suggestions might be good to look into.

My gf's dad has eczema too, & he is not a vegetarian.I might suggest it.