Does weightlifting affect posture?

Long story short: Ever since I started lifting weights, I've noticed that I stand and walk a little differently and people are always telling me things like "Gerard, why do you walk around like you're big?" or "Gerard, you walk like a robot. You're not that big." Just for the record, I'm much bigger than most people who say these things. I've got tons of people saying that about my friend and me (who goes to the gym with me). I don't walk or stand a certain way purposely, and I'm not very cocky about my size or physique at all, because I'm not entirely content with it myself.

So does weightlifting affect posture?

Thanks,

Gerard

It does if you have bad posture and gain a stronger core from training...or if you injure parts of your body from lifting. You can also gain so much muscle you lose mobility...or you can also lose flexibility(typically from uneven lifting like only benching and not working your back...or not stretching at all). However in reality you really need to gain a ton of muscle to change your walk due to bulk. I don't know about you since I've never seen you but most lifters I see that walk really wide have no reason to do so other than pompous brains.

I mean if your muscles are swol and then your range of flexibility may be affected thus causing you to adjust the way you look posture wise when you are sedentary.

A much more important topic along these lines I want to bring up is one of developing bad posture from improper form when training. I always tell people to work out in the posture you want. Keep your all of your core muscles tight, spine in neutral position and such. If you don't, then your fibers will settle that way thus developing bad posture over time. An even worse fate is of those who only work out their Chest over and over and fail to strengthen the muscles in their upper back which pull your back and keep your posture aligned and straight. They wind up looking like gorillas hunched over. This can also happen by not stretching your pectorals. Also By having a weak core and tight hamstrings (extended stomach, raised glutes), you can develop what i like to call 'j lo.' posture but in a unnatural way which will lead to lower back problems in the long run and it will look bad and feel uncomfortable. Food for thought....

Hmmm....So I'm getting the idea that my posture hasn't changed much or at all then. Many people claim that I have my arms out far, like Couture said, but in reality, if my arms were any closer to my body I'd be slapping my thighs with every step. Other people claim I pop my chest out, also untrue. Other people have told me I walk with my arms out in front of me (I can't really explain this one online), but that one's definitely not true.

I doubt it's not lifting properly...I work out each body part equally. The only injury I've had since I started was a shoulder injury but that was from falling off my bike, not lifting weights.

Maybe I just walk differently than other people naturally. Either that or people are just retarded, because I know for a fact that I'm not TRYING to walk a certain way.

I dunno :-\

Thanks for the info guys,

Gerard

Well, at least my posture is much better now that I have stronger back. My shoulders are further back when I just stand straight. Also, bigger lats make you walk a bit wider without even trying to look big.

I'd say that training can change your natural posture very quickly. Also, if you gain like 20 pounds of muscle and lose about the same amount from waist your posture looks different even if your back or shoulders are at the same position than before.

The only thing I really notice is that my arms go out to the side more after developing my back. As my back is wider, the arms naturally hang at a wider angle than before, but it's not like I am a WWE wrestler or anything, it's just a small difference. To really affect your posture, I think you'd either have to get really huge, or continually do something wrong.

GRardB - I am wondering why so many people feel like they can comment on your posture?! They need to chill and focus on themselves. I wouldn't let just let it roll off. Chances are, they are annoyed because they know you are working out and they aren't...so they're trying to take something away from you, or make you feel a little crappy about yourself so they can feel better about themselves. I could be wrong, but that's a possibility. Either way, you should determine the way YOU feel about your posture based on your own observations, not anyone else's. And if you have any concerns, I'd recommend looking into the Alexander Technique. You can find books on it at any local bookstore.

I'm thinking maybe your shoulders are just a bit wider now from the lifting...or maybe your core is stronger so your standing taller than you were before. These are things that could make people think you're showing off.

GRardB - I am wondering why so many people feel like they can comment on your posture?! They need to chill and focus on themselves. I wouldn't let just let it roll off. Chances are, they are annoyed because they know you are working out and they aren't...so they're trying to take something away from you, or make you feel a little crappy about yourself so they can feel better about themselves. I could be wrong, but that's a possibility. Either way, you should determine the way YOU feel about your posture based on your own observations, not anyone else's. And if you have any concerns, I'd recommend looking into the Alexander Technique. You can find books on it at any local bookstore.

People bully me on my looks just because they have nothing better to do. Some people say I'm scary looking or too skinny or whatever. In my opinion, it feels better to give somebody a compliment. If I see a girl who's attractive that I would like to look like.. I think to myself "She's got a nice figure" rather than focus on the negative like "She's probably got fake boobs" just because I'm a little envious. It's stupid. It makes you feel worse!

Odd thing is that peoples views are so skewed...especially in North America. Very few people are actually too skinny...most that are seen as too skinny are really the size most people should be. The average person in North America is overweight...plain and simple. I just wish people had an idea of what a healthy size was.

Thankfully, it isn't like europe where they simply cannot make clothes small enough. I'd have to chisel my bones off to fit into some of the pants that come from european designers. And heaven forbid you should build a lb of muscle in your upper body, don't even think about putting on a designer italian sweater. Thankfully i'm not a fashion whore, like i was around 9 years ago.

Ya, that's why I wear tank tops mostly. A lot of sleeveless tops and T- shirts are too tight around my shoulders. I don't even have very big shoulders! Since I'm petite I gotta buy clothes from teeny bopper stores LOL

I bought some pants yesterday that are a 26 inch waist and they're still too big. I remember when I was a 30.. anyways I stuck with the 26 cuz I plan on getting bigger. Plus it's cotton and will probably shrink a little in the wash.

I used to pride myself on how tight I could get the shirts I wore. Most clothes I used to wear are too big on me now. Hell. This one large sized green super mario shirt which was one too tight on me to ever wear is now too loose on me. I soon found myself shopping in the kids section of wal-mart. A large kids shirt is roughly two times smaller then an adult small.

But I've noticed that I started feeling uncomfortable in really tight clothes. I used to wear uber tight pants. But I stopped that after I began to break the buttons on them

And by wearing too tight shirts I was making my loose skin appear more noticeable. So now I wear a medium sized Adults. My loose skin still shows but not as bad. And when I begin to slowly shed that loose flab and build bulk there I will fill out any left over space with muscle. I'll try and not get too much muscle. I'd hate to have to spend money to upgrade to large tank tops

I agree Marcina. Designer clothes just aren't tailored for a bber. I remember putting on a pair of diesel jeans and the waist had 3-4 inches protruding out of extra space yet the quads were sticking to the jeans. I get the problem with dress pants also when I start to get bigger. My friend told me to try on a pair of energie jeans just recently b/c I had a gift certificate to bloomingdales for free. I put them on and the same thing but oh my gosh was it bad. I felt like I was trying on a pair of petite woman's jeans. Out of all the designer brands, the ones that actually did fit me somewhat normally were the 'Seven' brand jeans. I did have to go bigger on the waist to get the legs to fit normally but they were not so bad.

Levi's used to have an 'original spin' line in which they would custom make a pair of jeans and save your measurements in a database to reorder various colors and fabrics and they only cost like 55 bucks. Why they did away with those is beyond me! They fit me better than anything I ever had as they custom fit them to your body top of the pants to the bottom.

I agree Marcina. Designer clothes just aren't tailored for a bber. I remember putting on a pair of diesel jeans and the waist had 3-4 inches protruding out of extra space yet the quads were sticking to the jeans. I get the problem with dress pants also when I start to get bigger. My friend told me to try on a pair of energie jeans just recently b/c I had a gift certificate to bloomingdales for free. I put them on and the same thing but oh my gosh was it bad. I felt like I was trying on a pair of petite woman's jeans. Out of all the designer brands, the ones that actually did fit me somewhat normally were the 'Seven' brand jeans. I did have to go bigger on the waist to get the legs to fit normally but they were not so bad.

Haha this problem is too familiar to me

the same with tshirts... when they fit on the shoulders, it usually flabs arround in the stomach area