Jay's log

Jay

Hey, sorry you're not feeling well, my friend.

I have no doubt stress has contributed, at least.

What do you think about breathing exercises?

Water is definitely up there, in terms of daily needs. I get a myriad of symptoms from not drinking enough. I know it's possible to drink too much, but I tend to not drink enough occasionally. Sometimes it's hard to balance...I have high water needs, but it sometimes interferes with adequate food consumption, even though I'm definitely a volume eater.

One thing I do is drink tisanes (or herbal, caffeine free blends) when I just can't get myself to take another drink of water.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jay,

Really sorry to hear that. No need to be ashamed of anything. Keep us posted on how things go.

Jay, you have got to take it easy on your body. There's nothing wrong with taking some time away from the weights as they really stress the system. I think your body is trying to tell you it needs a little break.

Jay, you have got to take it easy on your body. There's nothing wrong with taking some time away from the weights as they really stress the system. I think your body is trying to tell you it needs a little break.

Good words here. I had to take 2 full months off this summer when I sprained my entire lower back - it wasn't fun, but everything came back better than ever once I took that time off to heal on up. If I'd tried to work through it I'd probably still be aching all the time. Get some rest, man, and give your body maybe a short 2 week break and see what happens.

I stinks when you're working toward a goal and have to take time out, but it doesn't pay to meet the goal and be in constant pain the whole time getting there. Besides, you might find that you gain twice as fast once you get that rest period under your belt!

Thanks, but I took a week off mutlple times in October/November and it did nothing. If anything I've been better when getting some exercise. This is an anal fissure not a bad lower back. It doesn't heal because you use the bathroom everyday and rip it back open. It's not a matter of healing faster, it's a matter of not ripping it back open every day. It is unfortunately common for these things to not heal and to require surgery.

Hey Jay,

If you exhale strongly through your mouth you can feel it all the way through your system including your anus. Anytime you exert stress your core reacts.

I don't think one week is enough. When you're lifting it is taking your body's resources to build the body. A rest (longer than one -week) will allow your body's resources to work on healing other areas.

What's the first thing the doc is going to tell you to stop doing????

No more nagging friend. Just give it some thought.

Thanks guys.

If I could use the bathroom 3 to 5 times a day that might be a good thing, I think. Constipation/hard bowel movements are the worst thing. Lack of exercise increases such things. But I wonder if it's more jogging than lifting weights which would be good. But then I've seen even serious runners have this problem too. Supposedly it's pretty common but people just don't talk about it.

I've seen two doctors already and read extensively about this and no one says to not exercise. They say nothing or the opposite. Maybe I'll give it up anyway, I'll have to think about it.

And yes I use some kind of wet wipes with aloe vera.

Well it could be worse. My real estate agent takes 16 lortabs a day for chronic back pain. She's probably going to eventually just have the nerves cut and be wheelchair bound.

Anyway today I took 3 lortabs. That's the most I've ever taken. It's not doing much so I might take another in a bit. Tomorrow I have surgery. I'm glad that I at least got the surgery moved up.

The lortabs help my state of mind though. Have to give them that. Feel like I'm diving down into something intricate and full of life. As opposed to an emptiness. The pain after the surgery may at first be even worse. That's a very scary thought.

Well it could be worse. My real estate agent takes 16 lortabs a day for chronic back pain. She's probably going to eventually just have the nerves cut and be wheelchair bound.

Anyway today I took 3 lortabs. That's the most I've ever taken. It's not doing much so I might take another in a bit. Tomorrow I have surgery. I'm glad that I at least got the surgery moved up.

The lortabs help my state of mind though. Have to give them that. Feel like I'm diving down into something intricate and full of life. As opposed to an emptiness. The pain after the surgery may at first be even worse. That's a very scary thought.

Yea, surgery usually bites but often the doctor's dope you out pretty well so the few days afterwards are a blur. Then after a few weeks the acute pains from surgery are gone and then you realize the chronic pains that put you under the knife are also gone. Then life begins again!

Good luck with surgery. I'm sure it will make things better for you.

Regards,

Jr.

Good luck, Jay. Stay strong and think good thoughts.

Don't get to liking those tabs too much now Though it might be a good time to pick up your pen, eh?

Some of the best stuff ever written was "influenced" shall we say

Lotsa good vibes ~~~~~~~~~ -> Jay

OK so had the surgery. (Sphincerotomy) (sp).

Feel OK so far. The guy said my cut was a centimeter long which is pretty small but that I had the strongest internal sphincter muscles he'd ever seen. LOL. And with being knocked out, they were still spasming out of control. Well not anymore! Anyway that was what was causing the increasing pain.

He told my wife I had huge guns and that she had to make sure I did no exercise for a month. And that's that. Nothing else worth mentioning. I got some Darvocet to go along with the Lortab. The Lortab didn't seem to do much. Hopefully the Darv will keep the pain under control. So far so good.

Thanks again. It's been about 48 hours since surgery. The first 24 hours I was so swollen I couldn't even fart. This morning I had that oh so scary first BM and I don't feel too bad. There's a possibility that I still won't heal or that I'll end up incontinent but I'll probably be OK and never have such problems again. I quit taking pain killers within the first 24 hours. They didn't really do anything for me. Supposedly a vegan should never have had this problem in the first place so I guess I'm just lucky.

Hey Jay,

I'm with Jonathan, I don't get around to checking the training logs much. I just stumbled over here today to explore a bit.

I hope things are going well and a quick recovery. Rest the Big Guns and I'm glad you got that initial scary BM out of the way.

All the best with a speedy recovery mate.

-Robert

Hey Jay, good to hear things are progressing.

It's funny how we take the simplest things for granted....I think our health is the biggy. Like you say, something as simple a bowel movement, or just being able to get up in the morning and get to the toilet.

The older I get, the more thankful I am of my continued good health.

Nice to hear you're back on the road to recovery Jay.

TBH, I felt almost completely better immediately. (Well once the soreness, etc wore off.) Beyond that any changes have been imperceptible.

And well, I've continued to lift. Because I really like to dammit. And it doesn't seem to have hurt me at all. I still appreciate those who care enough to give advice to the contrary but on this one thing I guess I can be really stubborn. Really I feel good as new now except for some itching (that I assume is part of the healing process.)

High volume stuff every other day for 2 to 3 hours (while reading, cooking, eating, etc between sets.) Reading China Mieville's Perdido Street Station right now, which is really good, and also making progress again on my writing which I had put aside the last 4 months as I was in too much pain to really concentrate enough. Slowly getting into higher reps on chins. 20 sets minimum. Had a session where each set had at least 9 reps. A single set fresh I can get about 20 but with multiple sets I really don't do very well. Slowly improving though.

And well, I've continued to lift. Because I really like to dammit... on this one thing I guess I can be really stubborn.

Oh, believe me, I get this! I knew for years I was overtraining in running, but I like it (damn it!!)!! So it did more for me mentally than it took away from me physically -- so it was worth it.

...also making progress again on my writing which I had put aside the last 4 months as I was in too much pain to really concentrate enough.

Yea!! Awesome I'd like to read some of it someday You should consider a blog too -- political one would be interesting.

Glad to hear you're improving.

Yea!! Awesome I'd like to read some of it someday You should consider a blog too -- political one would be interesting.

Yeah hopefully I'll get published someday but I'm looking more to one quality series than pulpish quantity so I'm really taking my time and putting everything into it. It's fantasy stuff.... but I'd like to think with a lot extra....

I don't like blogs so much. Too self important.

Glad to hear you're improving.

Thanks......

So today was supposed to be my off day. (Rest at least every other day.) But I've been eating really bad. Potato chips, nachoes, etc. So I was really feeling kind of crappy so I decided to get the blood moving a little and just do 4 rep sets of chins each minute till I got tired.... I never got tired though so I stopped after an hour. So that was 245 chins in an hour. That's a big PR for me.

I don't like blogs so much. Too self important.

That is the funniest thing you have ever said! I think that when one is full of self-importance the blog content is tainted, but there are blogs out there where what is offered is simply important to the blogger, with no feedback sought. That's different.

That is the funniest thing you have ever said! I think that when one is full of self-importance the blog content is tainted, but there are blogs out there where what is offered is simply important to the blogger, with no feedback sought. That's different.

By the act of putting it out there you are saying that it's worth reading. Some of it is, but most isn't. Life is short, if you've actually really got something worth saying write a book or try to get published articles at least. To just throw out some crap is kind of rude in a way. Someone working 50 hours a week might actually waste 15 minutes of their precious free time skimming it.

I've read some good stuff on blogs. There's some that are probably really great quality. But it's like surfing 500 channels desperately searching for something to watch. Too much time is wasted in the search.

Discussion boards are different though, eh? Doesn't have to be high quality....

did another 245 chins in an hour then another 25 or so extra. not so sure bout band benches. i'm stretching out the bands real quick with these long workouts. Maybe I'll just do normal bench instead....