VBBF Runner's Support Group

JW

Here it is!!!

Vegan runners UNITE!!!!!

actually, I'm the one who probably needs the biggest kick in the rear

I just got over a head cold and now the weather is sooo bad (very wet, icy and cold) treacerous footing out there.

Given the fact that I'm in a cast, it's best that I pick my days wisely.

anybody have a race coming up?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no race plans yet

just got over a cold and the weather has made for horrible running conditions. Lot's of slush and ice.

A little treacherous out there.

hoping to get back on the roads soon.

I just found out about a cross country race circuit which involves monthly 5K races.

Sounds intriguing but I'll have to find out about the course

A wonky ankle makes me a bit scared of cross country courses

I just picked up running hoping to get in more all around shape than I was.

Im mixing it up between sprint intervals and long distance though. No races.

Today was my first sprint interval workout.

The work out looked like this:

Sprint 400 meters for 4 rounds, rest two minutes in between.

Then...

Sprint 200 meters for 5 rounds, rest one minute in between rounds.

Then...

Sprint 100 meters for 6 rounds, resting :30 seconds in between rounds.

By the time I was on the 100 meters, I thought my chest was going to explode.

Im out of shape

Are you training for anything specific??? Thats close to what a 200m sprinter would do for intervals...not someone thats really looking for endurance...or speed endurance.

Ahh...that makes sense. I'd look into plyometrics too if I were you. Its very useful for agility athletes. All field event athletes in track and field(who need power, explosiveness and foot accuracy) do extensive amounts of plyos.

Well so far Im doing those WOD's to get stronger and more in shape. I never realized that just by weightlifting all winter how out of shape cardiovascular wise I could get.

My first "jam" ever is this Saturday. 20 or so other Parkour people will be there to teach me some stuff. It should be fun.

Well.

Good news and bad news. Good news is that I had a lot of fun, and it is something I want to continue doing.

Bad news is that I injured myself bad. I was jumping over some guard rails, grabbed the rail wrong, spinned around and felt my shoulder pull/pop. I didnt hear anything, and I dont think it popped, but it certainly did pull really hard.

I know cant sleep on that side of my body, nor can I put a sweater on over my head without my shoulder hurting. I have a doctors appointment today to check everything out.

I have a question for the lot of you:

I gain confidence in my ability to workout. As long as I am working out, I feel great and confident. But when injury happens, or I take a break for a little bit, my confidence in myself goes down. I start listening to depressing music, writing depressing stories (i write a lot) and dont feel as good as I usually am.

Is this normal? Am I addicted to working out?

Well.

Good news and bad news. Good news is that I had a lot of fun, and it is something I want to continue doing.

Bad news is that I injured myself bad. I was jumping over some guard rails, grabbed the rail wrong, spinned around and felt my shoulder pull/pop. I didnt hear anything, and I dont think it popped, but it certainly did pull really hard.

I know cant sleep on that side of my body, nor can I put a sweater on over my head without my shoulder hurting. I have a doctors appointment today to check everything out.

I have a question for the lot of you:

I gain confidence in my ability to workout. As long as I am working out, I feel great and confident. But when injury happens, or I take a break for a little bit, my confidence in myself goes down. I start listening to depressing music, writing depressing stories (i write a lot) and dont feel as good as I usually am.

Is this normal? Am I addicted to working out?

ah man! sorry to hear about the injury.

I think you are totally normal re: being depressed after an injury

(I've had several.....)

My tendency is to eat poorly too.

What has worked for me is to refocus on another type of excercise that you CAN do untile you are feeling better.

can you run? or do leg workouts?

It really sucks not being able to do the workouts you want to do but you WILL heal soon.

Let us know how the doctor appointment goes.

Best of luck!

Just to let you know dontxhide, I am a fan of parkour free running and you have all the support you need from this end. Ever since I saw a Scion car commercial several years back, I have been a fan. I even ordered some of their shirts from online b/c I thought they were so cool. I don't think i'd be able to acquire the talent to do stuff like they do and I highly admire and respect what you are doing. Keep us posted!

Keep your head up and I hope you are ok and recover flawlessly from the injury!

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3033/p1010889py3.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7135/p1010890xm2.jpg

Thanks for the words of support.

The doc told me I tore a muscle in my shoulder. Surgery shouldnt be required, but its going to take a while to heal.

So Im taking this week off completely (it hurts even if Im sleeping!), then seeing how it is on Monday. If its feeling better, Ill do some jogging, maybe some squats ~shrugs~ Since its torn its going to be much longer. UGH.

I've done my first few runs of the season - warming up slowly. I've been working too much, but that's about to change for a bit and I'm seriously in spring training mode. No races on the horizon, but maybe I'll do one in the fall - I've never raced before. I run to cross train for kick boxing - I'm super stoked on running. As the summer gets near, I'll do some trail running too - lotsa' mountains around my house.

Like those parkour t-shirts. I've been a fan of parkour for a few years, done a bit. Sadly I think my crushed disc at L5 has ended my parkour aspirations. (was a bike trials injury). I'm focusing mostly on martial arts for now.

Dontxhide - sorry to hear about the shoulder, dude. Injuries suck, but unfortunately they're part of any athletic pursuit. Keep doin' what you can!

I've done my first few runs of the season - warming up slowly. I've been working too much, but that's about to change for a bit and I'm seriously in spring training mode. No races on the horizon, but maybe I'll do one in the fall - I've never raced before. I run to cross train for kick boxing - I'm super stoked on running. As the summer gets near, I'll do some trail running too - lotsa' mountains around my house.

Like those parkour t-shirts. I've been a fan of parkour for a few years, done a bit. Sadly I think my crushed disc at L5 has ended my parkour aspirations. (was a bike trials injury). I'm focusing mostly on martial arts for now.

Dontxhide - sorry to hear about the shoulder, dude. Injuries suck, but unfortunately they're part of any athletic pursuit. Keep doin' what you can!

awesome Trev!

do you plan on entering any races?

I love running trails but my wonky ankle doesn't thnk it's a good idea.

bizzarre

I was working on 4 hours sleep and another late night filled with stress, yet I have my best run of the year!

PB at my regular route (I haven't measured it yet)

When I started this year I was doing 28 minutes.

My best prior to last night was 25 minutes flat.

Last night 24:40

must have been blowing off steam I guess

Ok I posted my updates in the old post "who's running now", before I saw this, oh well! Since I don't want to type everything a second time here' s my most recent progress. Last Thursday I ran 5 miles, and I ran 5 miles again on Tuesday of this week. But I have had a slight set back, and I don't know why, but I have a few guesses. Both times I ran this week I had pretty bad side cramps. The only thing I can think of is that I ate too soon before I ran, but I've done that before and not had a problem. The only other thing is that I hurt my back a little on Monday. This is the first time in a very long time that I've hurt myself in the gym, but it does happen. The next day it hurt to move, but I thought it would help if I ran. I think it did help, but maybe I'm still healing a bit even though I'm no longer in any pain.

I get stitches in my side if I run right after eating.

Maybe take a day or 2 off. Your body might be trying to tell you something.

I've had strange pains pop up for no apparent reason. The only thing I could attribute it to was pushing myself too hard.

awesome progress you are making!

I ran all winter, except for a couple weeks when I was in physio, and a few weeks when I was sick. I'm building back up again now. I'm in a 5k race next weekend (just to get myself back into the race atmosphere) and I'm going to do a half marathon on May 25. Other than that I'm mostly going to do races in the fall, and try to find a couple through the summer to do. Also, me and two other girls are looking into doing a half ironman together... I will run, another will swim, and another will bike. That would be fun.