VBBF Runner's Support Group

JW

Woo-hoo! I'll be hiking the Grand Canyon in September! I missed the last GC hike, because I got sick for the first time in two or three years. There's also a 10K coming up in early September that I'd like to run. I'm thinking of scheduling my training like this over the summer:

Mon: off

Tue: hike

Wed: LSD run

Thur: hike

Fri: LSD run

Sat: kayaking

Sun: biking

And of course, abs in the morning and stretching in the evenings!

By the way, I won't be insulted if you guys kick me off out of the "VBBF Runner's Support Group," and force me to form a jogger's/hikers support group.

very cool!!!

Grand Canyon is definitely on my "list"

Make sure you update us on that hike

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance you'll be in Northern Arizona in September, JW? It would be cool if you (or any of the other cool people from this group) could come along. Maybe you could pretend to be slower than you are, though, so I don't feel so out of shape .

bracing myself at the finish line and holding in the upchuck until I can get to the sideliness. Now that's how you know you pushed yourself.....

http://208.177.25.18/0/34912/196/34912-196-003f.jpg

Awww runyogarun, still a good sport and cracking a smile even after having a 27second per mile pace slower than mine. What a good sport! I may have to teach you how to throw a bocce ball since you were so good about being left in the dust!

http://208.177.25.18/0/34912/29/34912-029-003f.jpg

Mike, the GC hike is awesome! I went in November and it was snowing atop and covered the ground. By the time I got halfway down, I had to loose my thermals as it got hot. I was in shorts and a tee by the time I made it to the bottom. Pick a mule pack on your way to to pace yourself against. It's fun to stay ahead of them and keep a faster pace. I really have to upload my gc hiking videos, they are funny. I almost had a panic attack going over the bridges at the bottom. I freak out with heights. But only when I have to use motor function. Things like bungee, skydiving, rollercoasters, etc, I love because you don't have to do a thing. Now ask me to walk a suspension bridge and I scream bloody hell.

Any chance you'll be in Northern Arizona in September, JW? It would be cool if you (or any of the other cool people from this group) could come along. Maybe you could pretend to be slower than you are, though, so I don't feel so out of shape .

I wish I was going to be there

I don't know about slowing down though.... I find it hard to fall down a canyon slowly

I'm trying to get over my fear of heights.

Over the past few years I have parasailed and ziplined.

I still freak out if I don't have some form of restraints on me and if I could conceivably fall over a railing.

I'd like to take a rafting trip there too

Great pics, L/G! The green tint on your face in that first pic gives new meaning to your username . You're hardcore, man! Are you between a set of twins? That's awesome! Hopefully, someone took a picture at that very moment and you'll forever be a part of their photo album: "There's me to the left, and there's Martha...and there's that vegan guy who zipped past Martha and upchucked on the sidelines." Congrats again on doing such a great job in that race.

Thanks for the tips about the GC hike. I'm very much looking forward to it. I get a little freaked out by heights as well, so that part should be a challenge. That's cool, though; I love a challenge . I like the idea about pacing myself against a mule pack. If things get too tough, maybe I can see if one those nice mules might give me a ride back to the top. It would be like a marathon runner hailing a taxi mid-race .

I haven't posted for a few days, and I was starting to feel left out lol. I'm plannoing on doing a 5k on May 19th, which is a Saturday. I have got to work on my speed. I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast. I think I would be happy finishing anywhere from 25-30 minutes, I would of course be happier if it's closer to 25. The gc hike does sound fun, but I don't even like looking down flights of stairs. L&G love the pics of your finish, Your number said 7743, how many people were in this race?

Jogged into the sunset by the shore with my friend Honora a little bit ago for 5 miles. I think it was around 80 deg, so beautiful. Picture perfect.

Tomorrow me and runyogarun are going to try and jog together in her hood to do some hill work in the evening, provided that the upper westside mayor pardons me and lets a south brooklyn boy in. I'm sure i'll be ok, she has pull.

Hey, runyogarun has a half marathon next weekend in jersey (may 3rd); it will be her first one for the year. Let's cheer her on!!! 9:10p/m pace Carey, I know you can do it.......

And who knows Mike, perhaps I may drag my butt out for the marathon this November instead of next year but i'd have to go on my own pace, she is faster than me at distance, or at least I believe she is as I have never pushed myself to that limit like she has at a decent pace. Alsoi'd have to win the lottery in order to run. Next year I will be guaranteed entry.

Hey before I respond individually to all, the GC hike is not scary, it's beautiful!!! I am just as much freaked out as anyone else who doesn't like heights. Heck, when there is spaces between stairs, I panick and my legs lock up. I couldn't climb up spiral stairs at a lighthouse for that very reason, I took one look, laughed and walked away.

There is at least 10 feet between you and the edge when you are hiking down at all times. You would have to literally hurl yourself over the edge to fall and then rehurl yourself twice more just to keep descent. It really isn't scary and if I can say that then believe me, it isn't bad.

I still freak out if I don't have some form of restraints on me and if I could conceivably fall over a railing. Confused

L&G

you're killing me man!!!

all those races in NYC!!!!!!

Hey, nyc is a happening place, no denying that. The nyrrc has so many races all year round and other orgs do as well. Do you not have any races for months at a time in Winnipeg! that sucks. Hey, train for the marathon and come out and jog it; it is one of the most prestigious ones around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:03 pm Post subject:

Great pics, L/G! The green tint on your face in that first pic gives new meaning to your username Razz . You're hardcore, man! Are you between a set of twins? That's awesome! Hopefully, someone took a picture at that very moment and you'll forever be a part of their photo album: "There's me to the left, and there's Martha...and there's that vegan guy who zipped past Martha and upchucked on the sidelines." Congrats again on doing such a great job in that race.

Thanks for the tips about the GC hike. I'm very much looking forward to it. I get a little freaked out by heights as well, so that part should be a challenge. That's cool, though; I love a challenge Smile . I like the idea about pacing myself against a mule pack. If things get too tough, maybe I can see if one those nice mules might give me a ride back to the top. It would be like a marathon runner hailing a taxi mid-race Laughing .

Thanks again Mike! I guess you can tell I look a lil naucious huh? Come to think of it they do look like twins, I didn't even notice that! Even funnier, at the finish line I was calming down after my 'episode' and I saw someone I saw at the start and she was a twin sister as well and was waiting for her other sister who runs slower. Weird..

Yeh, I stopped to take pics all over and I still beat em but they were close. When I got to the top, the ranger called me over and wanted to know who I was and said it was impressive and his whole crew wanted to beat me but they had to be safe with the cargo and passengers, lol! I said not bad for a city boy from the east coast, eh? haha

The taxi marathon cab hauling thing, so many people have gotten caught doing similar stunts, so ridiculous, why even sign up????

I think I would be happy finishing anywhere from 25-30 minutes, I would of course be happier if it's closer to 25. The gc hike does sound fun, but I don't even like looking down flights of stairs. L&G love the pics of your finish, Your number said 7743, how many people were in this race?

Hsorlando, let us know how it goes, you'd be surprised how you can push yourself past perceived limitations when you just go at it. Take me for example. A little friendly comp and I push it a minute faster per mile which I thought was impossible for me. Will it and the mind will push the body further than you think.

There was about 7000 runners I believe, something like that. As it gets nicer out, races draw big crowds over here. I can't imagine how many people the nike half marathon nyc will draw, it is a lottery to get entry. I entered and I hope I make it in!!!

JW, rafting in the Grand Canyon would be very cool. I've always wanted to try that. I lol'ed at work after reading your comment about falling down a canyon slowly.

Good luck on that 5K, HS! After that 7 mile trip you took recently, 5K should be like a warm-up for you. I'm looking forward to hearing about you finishing the race in 25 min.

Best of luck to you on your half marathon, runyogarun! We're rooting for ya . As a guy who's just starting out with running, it's cool to learn from such an experienced runner.

L/G, that sunset run sounds awesome. One thing I love about running is that you get to enjoy so many things that you would have missed if you were just driving by. That's crazy about the twins! So people have actually been caught doing stuff like hailing taxis in the middle of marathons?? Wow! Congrats on outrunning the ranger's crew!

Tonight was a great run. I briefly posted about it elsewhere. Anyway I met the running instructor, and she decided we would run her regular 4.5 mile route. I swear the first part of the run was the fastest that I've ever run before. The second part we alternated between running fast, and walking. There were points during the run at the end where I didn't know if I could keep going but that's where the mental focus came into play. I also have more of a definite plan as to what my runs will be like. During the week I will do a tempo run at a somewhat faster pace for about 2, or 3 miles to work on speed. The days that I meet the trainer she said she wants to start doing hill training with me. Supposedly there are some hills near the gym. If it's the ones I'm thinking of I'm a bit scared lol. And on the third run of the week, which will be Saturdays I will just go for a nice long run, and just work on completing my distance of 6 miles,or 10k. Sounds like I'm finally getting more serious about running. Now maybe I'll start to see improvement.

Sounds like I'm finally getting more serious about running.

That's what I like to hear, keep it up!

That's crazy about the twins! So people have actually been caught doing stuff like hailing taxis in the middle of marathons?? Wow! Congrats on outrunning the ranger's crew!

Yeh, tons of people have been caught, I have heard so many stories of people getting caught taking trains on the route, lol.

Thanks man, I wonder where these pics were taken! You don't think i'd let a photo opp like that pass me by, do you? He was outdone by what he called a 'city slicker'

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5130/dsc00382mj2.jpg

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7997/dsc00381mb8.jpg

I'm tellin ya man, find yourself a pack of mules and taunt the people trying to catch up while you rip through the hike. Gets the blood pumping! I'll get around to that vid also soon, it's too funny.....

Well. Started running again after my doctor last week yelled at me to take another week rest!

On Tuesday ran 15 minutes, did some wall sits and squats.

Thursday I did some HIIT running. 30 seconds as hard as possible, 30 seconds rest. Then back again. For 12 minutes. More squats and wall sits afterwards.

Im amazed that most of you can run 5k's and the like. I get winded after a hard mile haha!

L/G, I love that idea about hiking ahead of a pack of mules. That sounds like a blast. Hearing about your hike and seeing those pics makes me want to get up and do the hike tomorrow! I'm looking forward to the vid.

No worries, dontxhide; I get winded after a hard mile, too! The only way I can do anything more that a mile or two is to jog very, very slowly. I'm only focusing on distance as I prep myself for the 10K. If I focused on time, it would bum me out. I'm glad to hear you're back at it! HIIT is brutal .

That's really cool that you're getting serious about running, HS! I'm already impressed by the improvement you've made. It looks like your on your way to making even greater gains in speed/distance. Have fun on those hills .

Quick question for my runner friends:

I usually run around the town square for my training (4 trips around = 1 mile). It takes me 8 minutes to walk from my home to the square. With the walk to and from the square, that gives me an 8-minute warmup and an 8-minute cooldown. Is 8 minutes enough for each, or should I try for a longer warmup and cooldown? My runs usually last about an hour, give or take.

Mike

The instructor that I run with has been running for over 20 years. She has told me more than once that you need to warmup for a good 15 minutes before anything really intense. I would have to agree with her as she trains a lot of runners, and does a running group. Maybe after your walk to the square you could do another half mile around, unless you feel warmed up enough.

Thanks, HS! It actually takes about 6 minutes to walk around the square once, so that gives me 14 minutes. I did the 14 minute warmup today and my run seemed to go a lot better. Do you think I would need 14 minutes for the cool down, too? For that, it feels like the 8 minutes should do it, but I could be wrong.

you know I hayley's advice is from a valid source so it's probably best to take it. For myself, I generally do not warm up whatsoever and I feel fine and as far as cooloing down, i'll walk for about 1-2minutes at most. When i'm with others, they like to warm up and cool down but I don't usually myself. I like to stretch after if anything.

To all the runners out there, I have a question about calorie intake.

As some of you know, I injured myself doing Parkour. Now that my shoulder is good enough again that I can run and do some squats, I have started exercising again. A lot of HIIT running stuff, and slow 1-2 miles.

I know my goals dont go along with long distant running; which usually means weighing as less as possible to propel you, but Im a hard gainer, and gaining up to 210lbs weightlifting was amazingly hard for me to do. I also need all that muscle and strength in able to climb up walls and such.

I found that I have been eating a bit under my caloric intake to keep my weight at 210. My est. quota is about 3538kcal a day to maintain my weight where its at (with moderate activity, no working out). I didnt realize this until today, but ive been eating about 3000kcal for the past month. Must of been bad math. No wonder why I dropped to 205 so quickly!

So a question. If I maintain 3538 a day, even on the running days (about 3-4 days a week), will I gain a little bit back, and cut some fat? Im tall anyways, and me below 200 makes me look way to skinny.

I would love to stay around 205-210 without much fat on me. I know its possible through a lot of hard work and dieting. Whats the runners opinion?

you know I hayley's advice is from a valid source so it's probably best to take it. For myself, I generally do not warm up whatsoever and I feel fine and as far as cooloing down, i'll walk for about 1-2minutes at most. When i'm with others, they like to warm up and cool down but I don't usually myself. I like to stretch after if anything.

I didn't like to either, and felt great, so I didn't. I'd run 20k one day, 10k the next, take one day off and be back out doing 15 the next day. No stretching or anything.

But eventually I got a nagging little injury, and that's what will happen for most people. I hate warming up and I loathe stretching, but I do it religiously now because some very talented athletes have advised me I should. I don't do it because I like it, I do it because it will keep me from getting injured. So far so good.

Last night I thought I was going to start my hill training, but just did a faster short run. I got some good advice as usual too for my upcoming 5k. Anyway after my first two miles, I did my best to keep at a faster pace for one more mile, figuring this would almost be a 5k distance. I was just stopping in front of the gym when the running instructor came over. Ends up she was about to start her running group, but wanted me to run with this lady who was just getting back to running. Even though I was tired from going faster I said yes, and ended up running another 2 miles. I guess the lesson in all this is have someone in your running life that's gonna push you to want to do better, or something along those lines. I also should probably warm up more, but I do walk to the gym from work which takes 10-15 minutes depending on traffic so maybe I'm alright.

Me and RunYogaRun just finished viewing the movie 'Run For Your Life' at the Tribeca Film Festival. It was a documentary about the late Fred Lebow, who founded and established the NYC Marathon. If there is a way to see it other places or when it comes out on dvd, I highly recommend to view it. Perhaps I can get a copy for vv08' if it becomes available by then for us to watch.

What a character he was, I had no idea. I'm glad I have a shirt from a race in memory of him from this year; I am going to wear it with pride.

It was hysterical as well as a tear jerker and the Q & A from the audience to the directors and family members was really cool as well.

I wanted to recall a whole bunch of funny scenes but there were so many that I can't place them.

Three things I can recall off the bat were:

1)The fact that the first marathon had a loop around an actual telephone booth in the bronx.

2)A reporter saying that the marathon went off without a hitch and not one runner got mugged or hit by a taxi.

3)Setting up the first women's 'mini' marathon (b/c mini skirts were in style) to generate interest for female running and recruiting 6 playboy bunnies to run it!

lol, you gotta love nyc!

A great running movie that I highly recommend is "Saint Ralph." It's about a 15 year old kid who wants to perform a miracle to save his dying mother. So he decides to RUN and WIN the Boston Marathon. I laughed, I cried and years later I'm still talking about it.

I am going to sign up for a 5K Canada Day (July 1st) run. My boyfriend has agreed to run it with me. Which means I'll have a training partner when I go to Toronto to visit him.

I did my first training run this morning. I'm starting from almost scratch. I ran 2 walked 3 for 40 minutes this morning. Wednesday, I'll do it for 45. Hopefully, I'll be able to get myself into a pure running state by the time the race comes along.

Happy Monday!

Thanks Karmacharger.

My run tonight may well have been the worst run I have ever done! On the plus side my legs were already beat from the class I took before the run. So at least I kind of have an excuse. The main thing with me is that I know I don't eat enough a lot of the time, which means no energy to run. For instance tonight I barely got through two miles. I may have been able to run a bit more, but with my legs feeling like rubber from the muscle toning class, and my low energy I just couldn't manage. Oh well not every run will be a good run, that's what I'm told by some advanced runners anyway. I have one more run before the race on Saturday, hopefully it'll be better than tonights.