VBBF Runner's Support Group

JW

L&G, you rock (no pun intended)! That video totally inspired me. I can't wait to go on my morning hike!!

Hey, I've got a question for ya: how steep is it on the way down? I've been hiking down steep trails to acclimate my body to the hike, but I'm starting to think I'm putting my body through more stress than I need to be .

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are most definitel. I did not do any sort of special trainign for it and had no problem whatsoever. It is nowhere near as difficult as you are thinking it is, trust me. Especially for someone who is fairly fit.

Thanks man, I haven't seen that video in ages. Made me laugh, gotta love the green smile that scares people away on the daily. Go ahead and ask me the protein question, I just stick my tongue out and smile with green teeth and it scares people away and shuts them up!

I was reading in Men's Health about a race called an Urbanathalon. Has anybody else heard of this? Looks interesting.

Haven't heard of that one specifically. Though we have something called an "Urban Challenge" here. I think it's more of a reality show kinda thing though; fear factor/amazing race kinda crap. But that would be cool if there were real urban races.

I was hoping to get to the gym early enough today so I could run, but I didn't. I may just take the rest of the week off, and get remotivated when I run with my small group next Tuesday. I wonder if I took a step back though not running for a week, and now I'll have to start all over with getting used to the humidity and heat. I'm hoping this isn't the case though, and I just had a nice break, long enough to really miss running!

• 3 weeks later...

I only ran 2 miles tonight, because of my ankle, it's a little sore. Anyway there were four of us running and I was in front the whole time. At the end I could have pretty easily done another two miles, so the heat is definitely becoming less of an issue finally! I had the opportunity to talk to the running instructor during the run and I am now officially remotivated with running. Nothing special has happened, maybe I just needed a bit of a break to realize how much I've come to love running.

I only ran 2 miles tonight, because of my ankle, it's a little sore. Anyway there were four of us running and I was in front the whole time. At the end I could have pretty easily done another two miles, so the heat is definitely becoming less of an issue finally! I had the opportunity to talk to the running instructor during the run and I am now officially remotivated with running. Nothing special has happened, maybe I just needed a bit of a break to realize how much I've come to love running.

It's awesome that running is coming easier to you!!!! You will soon find yourself surprised of once not being very good. Then you will start to make eyebrows rise like "wow you run a lot!!!!!". It's bad that your ankle was a bit sore though. I hope it doesn't cause you much trouble. Go girl!!!!

I haven't run in 3 weeks because I tried to do it and I realized as soon as I started that my calves weren't healed yet. I've been doing a lot of progressive low impact strengthening and I won't run at all in about two more weeks so I'm certain I'm completely fine and I can head home to go hike/run/dance and get crazy all over with no problems.

Just had to post about my run tonight. It was pretty awesome!!! We got off to a late start because the running instructor was 15 minutes late. Anyway it was only two miles, but we went a lot faster than usual. It was hard but not as difficult as I'm used to, and I was able to talk more. Anyway I asked one of the ladies that runs how often she ran, becuase I thought she was pretty fast. Turns out she and her friend only run that 2 miles once a week. So I'm starting to see how my consisitency in running is paying off. I guess I actually do improve, but it's more of the slow and steady wins the race type of improvement. Anyway hope everyone else is still enjoying their runs! I may not be up to 15ks, but I know if I want to I'll do it. Anythings possible!!

• 2 weeks later...

This was the race: New York Park to Park 10k

I felt really good out there! Ran 10k in 57:09, which comes out to about 9:20 p/mile pace. Not too shabby considering I only ran once in the last two months, been on juice and blends for 43 days (that's actually an advantage) and when I was training, back in march, I ran a 10k in 1:06:24 or 10:42 p/mile pace. Felt good to be running, REALLY GOOD

This was the race: New York Park to Park 10k

I felt really good out there! Ran 10k in 57:09, which comes out to about 9:20 p/mile pace. Not too shabby considering I only ran once in the last two months, been on juice and blends for 43 days (that's actually an advantage) and when I was training, back in march, I ran a 10k in 1:06:24 or 10:42 p/mile pace. Felt good to be running, REALLY GOOD

Way to go L&G! That's a great improvement over your time in March. Keep it up!

Thanks Mark! This is a pic from the race at the finish line. There were boxes of green apples and I haven't seen them in so long. I grabbed a whole bunch, brrought them home and made some juice out of them

http://208.177.25.18/0/34914/72/34914-072-032f.jpg

I did the math wrong. The total pace time was 57:10 and that came out to 9:13 p/mile pace. Nice!

Stats From the race and prior races

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm getting back on track with my running goals. So far I've run twice this week, it was only two miles each time, but it's a start. On Saturday I plan on running a much slower pace and going at least 4.5-5 miles. If it's nice out, not too much humidity I may "try" to run longer. I need to get to a 10k run, and I want to do it soon!

• 1 month later...

I'm still running 3 days a week, except for this week, lol.

Tomorrow I plan on running 10k (6.2miles). I may end up walking part of it, but that's alright I guess. I think I may be getting bored with the shorter runs, so I'd like to start running 6.2 miles every Saturday if possible. From this point I would also like to run in more races, and continue to run further. I do believe that I'm getting faster, although I may never be as fast as the people that it comes more naturally too. I'd also like to add another day of running, but with my current schedule, and living arrangements this may prove too difficult until I move. I could always run near where I live, but it's just big streets, and a freeway.

Hey! It's been a while since I've checked in here; I've missed my online running buddies .

I hope the 10K went well, HS. It's only a matter of time before you'll be posting your ultra-marathon race times! I know what you mean about running in busy areas. I do almost all of my runs inside, because I'm afraid of breathing in all that downtown car exhaust (yuck!).

I love that pic L/G! Great race time, too. I'm still trying to get faster than 10 minute miles, so you're an inspiration, lol.

Actually I didn't get to do a 10k, because all the maps were gone at the gym, and I wasn't exactly sure of the route to make it 6.2 miles long. But I am fairly certain that I'm getting faster, or getting more endurance because I seem to be finishing first a lot more in my beginner runs. So maybe what I'm doing is paying off finally! It's been like 13 months since I began running, and about 11 months since I began running outside.

HELP ME!!

Omg I'm so embarassed to even write this but.. I'm in horrible shape. I let myself go. I went for a run today and did... so horrible.

I ran for 15 minutes. Ok. 5 minute intervals to be exact..of jogging/walking. I was so tired and and in so much pain I had to come home O.o

I'll admit I've never been a runner.. But I need to get in shape because this is just pathetic. I mean.. Who runs for 15 minutes and gets so tired they have to stop? Basically what happened is that my diaphragm felt really tight and I got abdominal cramps. I didn't eat for 2 hours before my run and made sure I was properly hydrated. I always get cramps cuz I'm retarded when it comes to running.

I am in desperate need of advice, guys.

you're probably going too fast! Go slower, at a pace you can maintain. The first time I started running I was soooooo slowwww! I still am, but I can keep it at a pace that I can run for four miles at. And as I progress I can either go faster, or go further, so you will progress if you keep at it.

I agree with HS, Marcina. There's no rush . When I tried to run one mile a couple of years ago, it took me 19 minutes and I thought I was going to die, lol. But, tomorrow, I'm going on a 2.5-hour run, so it doesn't take long to make progress. If you just start slowly and keep consistent, you'll be amazed out how fast your running improves.

One thing that really helps me is to take a 20-minute walk as a warmup. It sounds like that would wear you out, but it actually makes the running way easier. Please let us know how your next run goes .

That's too bad about the 10K, HS. That is very cool that you're finishing first in your group runs so often, though. You may need to move to a faster running group at this rate!

Came 9th out of over 300 finishers in a 10k in London on Sunday. Time was a bit slower than I was hoping for - 36min26secs - but the weather was atrocious so would of broke 36mins if not battling the wind.

There was about 6 or 7 Vegan Runners taking part in total, so a good turn-out.