VBBF Runner's Support Group

JW

I suggest eating while you run...maybe gels, cliff shot blocks or some kind of hard candy for calories while you run.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been a weak runner. I always get winded very quickly. Recently i have been trying to get a more regimented routine to keep building. It seems though that when i run my knees and shines hurt terribly afterwards. I wonder if i am running in a bad form. Do any of you have any advise on what i may be doing wrong?

I am only running a mile, mile and half max. So i feel discouraged that if i get to the point that i can run farther cardio wise my knees and shines will really kill me.

Thanks for any advice.

We really need to see you run to see what may be causing this. It could be many things or something extremely small...maybe even not having a proper shoe...just because a shoe feels good doesn't mean you should be running in it(even a running shoe). I bet you're also running to hard. You should start out running at a speed you can maintain for close to 30 minutes...even if thats a trot. You'll get faster later on if you choose to...more importantly you've actually gotta be running.

what vegan potter said. Sometimes my ankles hurt when I run, and it's no fun at all. I think for me the weight training that I do is helping keep me from injuring myself when I run. I've also been told that some people just have weak ankles/shins. If you don't have a running shoe get one. I wore crosstrainers for the first 4 months when I began. Fortunately I never hurt myself running in them, and when I got running shoes it helped a lot.

what vegan potter said. Sometimes my ankles hurt when I run, and it's no fun at all. I think for me the weight training that I do is helping keep me from injuring myself when I run. I've also been told that some people just have weak ankles/shins. If you don't have a running shoe get one. I wore crosstrainers for the first 4 months when I began. Fortunately I never hurt myself running in them, and when I got running shoes it helped a lot.

You should try finding some nice trails to run on. That'll take a lot of the stress off the ankles. Mine are bad too but not as bad as they were. When I'm running on the road I tend to shit to the grass when possible...it allows me to speed up and take away some jarring on my ankles and my lousy hips.

Thanks for the thoughts. I do have running shoes but they are kind of old. Maybe a new pair are in order.

Thanks

Ann

I suggest going to a running store with shoe experts...and I don't mean foot locker. You'd be amazed at what a proper shoe can do for you. Different shoes are made for different runners...not just different feet. Shoes are made for striking the ground in different ways...very crucial to having the proper shoe.

Running store. I never heard of such a thing. Can you name one for instance.

Thanks

Really? For a second I though you might be a little sarcastic but I see no reason why and perhaps you have just never heard of them b/c you never heard of one, it's possible.

Anyways, I have no idea what's out your way, you can always google around and i'd say you were bound to find something.

A really good place around my way is called Jack Rabbit

If you follow that link, you'll see how they do complimentary video analysis of you on a treadmill to find out how you land when you run and to select to best shoe based on that. Most stores probably don't have this but someone could still help to assess you.

I don't know PA and I don't know from which part you reside but just to give an example of some locations that come up when you google for it in PA and there are more.....

PENNSYLVANIA FINISH LINE RUNNING 17 S. 12th Street Allentown, PA 18102

PHILADELPHIA RUNNER 1601 SANSOM ST PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103

Hi Lean and Green - Thanks for the response and not assuming i was being sarcastic. Because i definitly was not being sarcastic. I truely never heard of a running store. I thought foot locker was the best resource for sure. Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

As for the video on a treadmill, i think that is exactly what i need. I remember in high school the gym teacher telling me i did not run right. But, i forget how he told me to correct.

Thanks

Again

Ann

No problem. I hope you find a treadmill analysis thingie where you are. It probably won't be easy but someone can still look at your posture and get an idea at a runner's shop. I bet if you look up the type of technology behind that analysis and google it in pa, you may stand a better shot at figuring out if it exists over there.

As far as running right, I believe that you are supposed to run on the center of your foot in a neutral position, and land on the back of your neutral positioning slightly and then roll to the front of it and then repeat. That sounds a little confusing doesn't it...

Ummm, when you land, try to land right where your heel ends and your arch begins, when you press your foot into the ground don't lift your toes, keep it firm on the ground and roll off the middle of your foot. Don't land on the outside or inside of you foot if possible.

Most people do not run in perfect form and usually it's just a natural tendency to not do so for them based on their posture and other factors which is why they have shoes for all different types of runners to help offset these factors.

Hope that helped to explain things a little better. Good luck on locating a store by your way Ann

Just when I think I'm getting better at running the stupid weather has to go and get hot, and humid lol. It's going to be a while before I make much progress now. As long as I get my miles in which I'm working on I'll be doing alright.

Just run really early in the morning. It'll make your life a lot easier. When it gets really hot...college runners often do their easy long runs in the morning(easy runs over 8 miles generally). Then they do the short stuff in the heat with long rest intervals mixed in. You can make it bearable if you know what you're doing.

how fast did you run it Zack, were you sprinting or jogging? We got ur back. It's like anything else, the body adapts after repetitive training. Do you have interest in jogging a couple of times a week or you just want to know that you'll be ok whenever you want to run. It helps to run at least once a week if you want to feel adequately conditioned.

Hai guyz I need running support. Yesterday I ran a mile and almost died.

Ha, that's what happened for me the first time I tried running since i was a teenager. It was April 2006. My friend ran, so I went for a run with her. Figured hell, it was just a mile, and I'd been ellipticaling daily for six months. Well I thought I was going to die at the end. I practically blacked out and was red for the rest of the day. I passed out on a chair for half an hour when I finished.

You shouldn't expect to be able to run very far at first. Maybe a couple minutes, then stop and walk for a minute, then run again, and so on. Eventually you get used to it. A year ago I would have laughed at anyone who said I'd be doing 20k+ (13 miles) at a time less than six months later. And yet, now I've done it about a dozen times.

Hai guyz I need running support. Yesterday I ran a mile and almost died.

Rocky almost died too, when he started running. You just have to build up your base again. It's hard work, but you won't have a problem with that. Since I've seen you floored it down the beach at VV07

I may need running support next week too. This week I've been super busy helping Robert at a green expo. I've gotten in some good weight training sessions, but cardio/running has had to take a backburner. Last time I ran was Tuesday.

Ok, I actually had a pretty good run yesterday evening. I did two miles, had a quick water break,and then ran for another two miles, and then a half mile cool down. I guess it is all about getting used to running in the humidity/excessive heat. Anyway if I can continue to up my mileage in this weather noithing will be able to stop me.

You're a running machine, HS! That's awesome that you're continuing to make such great progress.

My gf and I have a treadmill in our apartment now! So, I can't use bad weather as an excuse to miss a run. I've actually been doing a lot of hiking. I try to hike about four times a week and run 2-3 times a week in preparation for the GC hike. It's funny; hiking with a backpack loaded with weights feels a lot like high-rep squatting.

I'm still trying to find that balance between over and under training. I think it's completely possible for me to train 6 or even 7 days a week if the intensity is low enough. For me, it's just a matter of leaving a little in the tank, so to speak.

Happy running everyone!

Mike

It's been two weeks since my calves don't hurt at all. I'm going to try a really light and short run now. Protect me prefontaine!!!

EDIT: I came back already. That was a 25 minutes run! I feel very bad, my calves behaved and there was no pain but I didn't last long. In just 3 months of not running I'm in a very bad shape I will have to work hard to go back to some decent mileage.

Don't worry it'll all come back. I'm finally getting a bit more mileage in the hotter weather. I managed 4.5-5 miles on Saturday morning at around 9 or 10 am. If we keep running we'll get better, and by not overdoing it hopefully stay injury free. I hope to be at a 10k by end of summer, I know this is possible. Who knows maybe I'll be up to 15k by the end of Summer.

I've actually been doing a lot of hiking. I try to hike about four times a week and run 2-3 times a week in preparation for the GC hike. It's funny; hiking with a backpack loaded with weights feels a lot like high-rep squatting.

Het Mike I didn't forget about those GC videos. I have a one posted so far to get you motivated for the hike!

There will be more