hello from boston!

Powered by Carrots

Hi everyone!

I have been vegetarian since 2001 and vegan since 2003.

I've been eating relatively healthy and working out for a long time (with no specific goals in mind aside from general fitness). For the past couple of years I have been in the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I would usually alternate between rather unfocused lifting and running a slow five miles on every other trip.

Starting a couple months ago I decided that it was time to get really serious about working out and health and get into the best shape of my life.

I started eating really clean and gong to the gym six days a week. My runs have become much more hardcore (I'm doing 5 miles in a series of high intensity intervals) and I'm lifting a lot harder too.

I also started reading a lot about vegan bodybuilding. Along the way I was reading some of the great articles written by Robert Cheeke and I stumbled on him talking about Body-for-Life. After checking out the BFL website it seemed like exactly what I needed to kickstart my goals. I have been doing BFL for the past 24 days and it has been great.

Just in the past couple months, and especially since starting BFL, I have managed to drop about 20 pounds of weight while making weightlifting gains in the gym. I am 6'3 and weigh 212 (around 21% body fat). My goal is to get down to around 10%.

I've been on the John Stone Fitness Forums a lot the past couple of weeks. A couple days ago a guy posted that he just became vegan and plans to start going to the gym and getting in shape (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=42211). As I was responding to his post and telling him to check out the Vegan Bodybuilding website, I realized that two of my biggest passions are fitness and veganism. I also realized that the Vegan Bodybuilding forum would be a much better place to combine those two things than the John Stone forums.

So here I am!

Edited by Powered by Carrots!

Welcome to VBB&F, PbC. I'm curious to hear more about how you're finding BFL as a vegan. I used to do (way long ago) BFL under an omnivore diet. I had some success with it. I do love the HIIT concept.

Anyways, I've rambled enough. Again, a big welcome to the site.

Welcome to VBB&F, PbC. I'm curious to hear more about how you're finding BFL as a vegan. I used to do (way long ago) BFL under an omnivore diet. I had some success with it. I do love the HIIT concept.

Anyways, I've rambled enough. Again, a big welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome!

As far as workouts, I am following BFL almost exactly, except that my HIIT runs are about twice as long as BFL recommends (as a result I limit lower body lifting to one day a week, just before my day off, so that I am not too sore for the runs... they get HARD).

As for the diet aspect: I'm just eating 6-7 meals a day, each one contains a carb and protein (e.g. a banana and a protein shake two hours after breakfast). I keep calorie intake under 2,200 calories/day and I try to get around 180 grams of protein. The biggest thing I've gotten from BFL diet-wise is the 6-7 meals a day idea. That's made a huge difference...