Hello from Illinois

Amy

I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to everyone. I have been a vegetarian since May of 2007. I really want to start eating a strictly vegan diet. I have had a hard time finding quick recipes with ingredients that are easy to find. I am interested in health, fitness, and making new vegan friends.

Hi Amy! Welcome!

I think an easy way to start making vegan recipes is to make the recipes you already make and then slowly substitute alternative to the non-vegan ingredients (of course this depends on what type of food you already eat)... for instance Earth Balance instead of butter, Veganaise instead of mayo, soy/rice/almond milk instead of cow milk, and tofu/tempeh/seitan instead of meat. Most of those ingredients are usually pretty easy to find in a store that has a natural/health food section.

Hi Amy. I hope you'll find everything you wanted here !

As for me, I found it easier becoming vegan than vegetarian. But it's different for each person. But what's always important, is to do this change and transition only when you feel you're ready and do it gradually.

Congratulations on your choice!

Welcome Amy There's tons of good quick things to cook...it doesn't take any longer to make vegan food than it does to make non vegan food.

AMY! Glad you came into the forum and introduced yourself. As you can see, there is an amazing bunch of members here and everyone is very helpful right from the get go. Never be afraid to start a thread with any question you may have. You can use the search engine as well to see older posts with some answers as well. This place has just become that much better now that you are an 'active' contributor. I welcome your presence and may you find all that you are looking for with your quest into the wonderful world of veganism!

Welcome Amy!

I would like to note that I prefer the term "full vegan diet" instead of "strict diet" because I don't think my diet is strict at all, I don't have to limit my eating. When you start eating vegan, you won't eventually even want to have anything non-vegan as you feel so much better without milk or eggs.

Anyway, great to have another member to the forum!

Welcome to the board!

A good start would be a Trader Joes. Here are the Illinois locations

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=113004048650495608919.000001122b3ffa0737133&ll=41.93089,-87.919464&spn=0.79178,1.389771&z=10

You can find lots of yummy vegan easy to prepare items. One of my favorite is Tofurky Italian Sausage. Put it on pasta with some marinara. Make a sandwich out of it on Ezekiel bread or just sautee it with some peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

You can also get Soymilk there, Cliff Builder Bars, premade Hummus, avocados, etc.

Hopefully these are some good easy-to-prepare options for ya to make your path to Veganism easier!

• 1 year later...
I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to everyone. I have been a vegetarian since May of 2007. I really want to start eating a strictly vegan diet. I have had a hard time finding quick recipes with ingredients that are easy to find. I am interested in health, fitness, and making new vegan friends.

Welcome to the board Amy.

Here are some of my easy to make things that don't require a cookbook:

Black bean and potato burritos

Basically, chop up some potatoes and boil them for about 20 minutes (this would be healthier with sweet potatoes or yams), and sautee chopped onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers in canola or olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Then add canned black beans and the potatoes, or for crispier potatoes you can fry them in a separate skillet. Add good burrito spices, hot peppers, whatever. Put them in whole wheat tortillas.

Lentil stew

In a big stock pot, dump some vegetable broth, chopped onions, carrots, whole wheat noodles, dried lentils, and good soup spices like bay leaves, garlic, thyme, etc. Let it cook for at least 20 minutes.

Or you can always just buy lots of veggie burgers, hummus and pita bread, and stuff like that to tide you over while you're learning how to cook vegan. I'm not sure where your cooking skills lie.

Some of my favorite cookbooks are Veganomicon, Vegan With A Vengeance, and anything else Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero came up with. They have a website at www.theppk.com and sometimes people post recipes. You can also check out www.vegcooking.com and www.vegweb.com for more recipes.