How long of a break is too long?

Hey everyone,

I was working out basically every day for a month or so, and the past week and a half (almost 2 weeks) I haven't gone. How detrimental is that to my progress? I feel terrible for not going and I know I'll be back in the routine in no time, but I'm just curious how long of a break too long is?

p.s. I did a search but couldn't find anything

Thanks!

-Logan

You know I have no real resources to back what i'm about to say other than word of mouth so it could be entirely improper but the general consensus amongst the gymmies is that for every day you take off, you lose 2 days worth of progress.

So if you haven't trained for 2 weeks, you are set back 4 weeks. Does anyone know how valid this is or is it just some word of mouth fallacy??

In any event 2 weeks is not the end of the world. It's not like you took upwards of 3+ months off and then had to come back and get your body used to repetitive movement against resistance again. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Just get back to it when you can and don't overtrain to get back those missing days. Just resume as if nothing happened and work your way back to where you were.

I think it depends largely on how long you've been lifting in general. I would only take 1-2 days off a month when I would lift. But when I did take off for an injury or something I was often my strongest only a week or two after coming back from a break or a weak or more. Sometimes taking a long break like that is good for gains but not if you don't get in the gym all the time for extended periods of time.

I read that you should take a week off every six weeks then return with a change in routine. Am I ill-informed? Working out every day sounds like overtraining to me, but then again I'm just a newbie so what would I know

I read that you should take a week off every six weeks then return with a change in routine. Am I ill-informed? Working out every day sounds like overtraining to me, but then again I'm just a newbie so what would I know

I also heard this: workout every other day (or at the least, change from upper to lower specific), have cardio on the other days and at least one day of full rest. Perhaps I misunderstood?

There's nothing written in stone...that would never work for me but it'll work for some people. Some people need fairly regular rest...but not long periods of time...some don't really take any. I myself beat myself to pieces...and I only take a break when I have no choice...normally its rarely more than a day...it works for me. I used to lift with no breaks at all...then I'd be forced to take off for a few days and I'd come back stronger than ever...but regular breaks just resulted in me gaining lots of weight and losing my rhythm.

Well I've seen things written in stone...lots of things are written in stone but it takes a long time to write in stone so I don't normally waste my time doing so.

I lift 2x a week. If I go a week between sessions I feel weaker and my lifting suffers but I can bounce back. If I go 2 weeks I lose 20% of what I can rep for several weeks or even months. I don't miss gym sessions anymore if I can avoid it.

• 1 month later...

any advice on nutrition while having to take a break? i broke my collar bone and cant hit the gym for a while now, and im still really hungry all the time, but im trying to cut back so i dont get even more flabby in the med section then i already am.

im thinking a sensable diet low in fats and still high in protein and hitting the stationary bike a few times a week to try and stay in shape, or even more then two or three if i can fit it in.

If you for example do a lift every other day then you lose strength with time off much quicker than if you're used to doing it/built up strength at it doing it once a week.

You really shouldn't go more than 7 days without doing anything at all. That, of course, doesn't mean that you can't have a much longer period of somewhat lower intensity.

Nobody that wants real growth should lift so little anyway. Its fine to lift like that for strength to be mostly maintained if you used to be super strong and don't care if you lose a little strength but for the average Joe you've gotta get in the gym more than that...if you're forced to take time off like that you can at least do push ups.

A couple of years ago, when I had a surgery done I had to stay away from the gym for 6 weeks. It about did me in, all I was allowed to do was walk. I don't think physically I was that worse off when I got back to the gym, except for being a little less flexible because of stitches. I just missed weight training so much. When I got back though everything came back pretty fast, and it gave me a chance to change up a few things too.