Dodgy knee. Anyone else?

Wondering if anyone has any advice on leg exercises that don't stress the knee joint too much.

I had a cartilage graft into my knee 3 years ago and it has been less painful since I started weight training and spinning but I added walking lunges last week and now it is so painful that it hurts to walk.

My regular routine is db squats, leg curls, leg extensions with a modified starting angle and single leg presses.

What do others with knee pain do?

Do you take any supplements for your condition?

thanks

mieke

You know, I had to stop doing lunges also for the same exact reason. I have a torn miniscus that needs to get repaired once insurance kicks in and lunges give me pain right afterwards.

Like yourself, I am ok with squats, even heavy squats and they do not affect my knee whatsoever.

To replace Lunges, I would recommend leg extensions and perhaps one legged leg presses. Not that you can 'replace' lunges but those exercises may fulfill some of the void. I fully intend to resume them after I get an operation and have healed. Hopefully they wont cause pain then...

How tall are you??? Generally spinning is good for your knees(when the pedaling is fast but not straining your muscles so much) but if you're short the arms where the pedals are attached can be too long and stress your knees out more than everyone else's.

I had knee pain a lot in the past. For whatever reason, it got much better when I started eating a vegan diet. I take a vegan form of glucosamine when it flares up now and either the supplement is working or the episodes are short-lived.

I tried walking lunges on an incline this week and I think going uphill might take some stress off the knees. I wouldn't advise going down the incline. If you have a hack squat at your gym, backwards hacks really work your quads and there are modified leg presses that don't go as far as a 90 degree angle (also for quads). I find that straight legged dead lift put no pressure on my knees and really work my hamstrings and even glutes somewhat.

If we meet up, I have a few exercises I could show you.

I'm a bit nervous of the dead lift. Seems that my legs can handle a lot more weight than my back.

What would be a well-rounded low knee stress leg program? I am currently doing a 3 day split. Today I did legs and now the leg extension is giving me pain so I need to learn some new exercises that don't hurt.

Potter-I'm 5'10" so I don't think spinning is stressing my knees!

Thanks for your input

mieke

Maybe you should try some straight leg dead lifts first to strengthen your lower back..it'll also work your hamstrings which will strengthen your knees as well.

I've tried 3 day and 4 day splits. Now that I work each body part (hard) only once per week I have not had any injuries and no lack of gains due to over training.

There are a couple of different ways to do stiff-legged dead lifts. I'm sure one of them might work for you.