Bulking Diet??

Hello vegans, I am looking for a good bulking diet, because my diet at the moment is rubbish.

Pretty much I have just been eating a lot of food with high protein and carbs and then a fair bit of fruit. But I am pretty lazy and get stuck for ideas of what to eat. For me, I would prefer to have a diet set in stone that I can follow everyday (and mix it up a little), to know when to eat and how much, just t know that I am getting enough of everything.

I have been training hard and eating heaps. I have put on three kilos in two weeks with no noticeable fat gains (stoked!). But I am a little worried about what I am eating.

I am 19 years old and I live in Canberra in a house full of vegans (so good!!). My brothers fiancé is an amazing cook, so I get to eat the food she makes sometimes.

At the moment my diet is roughly:

Upon Waking: 400 ml of soymilk, 3 scoops of Designer Physique soy protein isolate, 1 banana, little bit of Vanilla Extract.

1st meal: Bowl of muesli with soymilk.

2nd meal: Tvp Bolognaise sauce with pasta.

3rd meal: 4 slices of toast with natural peanut butter.

Before Bed:

Upon Waking: 400 ml of soymilk, 3 scoops of Designer Physique soy protein isolate, 1 banana, little bit of Vanilla Extract.

Plus I take Flaxseed Oil Capsules (how many should I take??) and a Multi every day, and B12 once a week.

I know it sucks.

Can someone please help?!?

Just a few things you might want to think about.

Make sure you get plenty of leafy greens as well as Fruit.

You seem to be eating a fair few processed carbs in the pasta and bread, which isn't that bad in itself, you might just want to get more Whole Grains and unprocessed stuff when you can (The Oats in the muesli are great).

Thanks man.

You are such a great help.

I was thinking about roughly following this diet:

Example Day 1

8AM

1 1/2c Oatmeal 8g pro 210 Cal

1 Banana 1g pro 80 Cal

Soy Protein Drink 20g pro 330 Cal

16oz water 29g pro 620 Cal

10AM

1 cup walnuts 14g pro 250 Cal

1 cup grapes 0g pro 100 Cal

1 Protein bar 12g pro 240 Cal

16oz water 26g pro 590 Cal

12PM

2 boca burgers 26g pro 180 Cal

4 slices of bread 24g pro 720 Cal

1 baked potato 5g pro 80 Cal

1 serving spinach 2g pro 70 Cal

2 tofu hotdogs 18g pro 90 Cal

24oz water 75g pro 1,140 Cal

2PM

3 serv. Crackers 6g pro 210 Cal

2 s. peanut butter 14g pro 340 Cal

1 banana 1g pro 80 Cal

8oz orange juice 1g pro 100 Cal

22g pro 630 Cal

4PM

Soy protein drink 20g pro 340 Cal

12oz water 20g pro 340 Cal

6PM

4 serv. Pasta 28g pro 480 Cal

2 s. refried beans 12g pro 140 Cal

1 cup broccoli 5g pro 150 Cal

2 serv. Baked tofu 26g pro 150 Cal

16oz orange juice 1g pro 200 Cal

72g pro 1,120 Cal

8PM

1 Orange 1g pro 80 Cal

1 serving almonds 7g pro 100 Cal

12oz natural soda 0g pro 170 Cal

8g pro 350C

10PM

2 serv. Corn chips 4g pro 240 Cal

2 serv. Salsa 2g pro 140 Cal

20oz water 26g pro 720 Cal

Totals 278g protein 5,510 Calories

Example Day 2

8AM

4 Organic Waffles 16g pro 480 Cal

Maple syrup 0g pro 80 Cal

Banana 1g pro 80 Cal

16oz water 37g pro 980 Cal

10AM

3 servings almonds 21g pro 300 Cal

Protein bar 12g pro 240 Cal

Banana 1g pro 80 Cal

16oz water 34g pro 620 Cal

12PM

2 Tofu Salami sandwiches 56g pro 800 Cal

2 servings spinach 1g pro 100 Cal

2 servings carrots 1g pro 70 Cal

16oz orange juice 1g pro 100 Cal

59g pro 1,070 Cal

2PM

3 serv. Crackers 6g pro 210 Cal

2 s. peanut butter 14g pro 340 Cal

1 banana 1g pro 80 Cal

8oz orange juice 1g pro 100 Cal

22g pro 630 Cal

4PM

Flax oil/glutamine/B12 0g pro 35 Cal

12 oz water 20g pro 375 Cal

6PM

2 boca burgers 26g pro 180 Cal

3 servings lentil soup 27g pro 360 Cal

1 boiled potato 5g pro 80 Cal

1 cup broccoli 5g pro 100 Cal

12oz soy milk 11g pro 250 Cal

12oz water 74g pro 970 Cal

8PM

2 slices of toast 12g pro 340 Cal

2 servings peanut butter 14g pro 340 Cal

16oz water 26g pro 680 Cal

10PM

2 soy protein drinks 40g pro 680 Cal

16oz water 40g pro 680 Cal

Totals: 311 grams of protein 5,955 Calories

What do you think??

I have no idea what Clif Bars or Boca Burgers are and I am not sure where to get vegan salami.

I think you will definitely add mass on that diet, there is plenty of calories there and plenty of protein.

There are a few Vegan Junk foods in there, Waffles, soda, crackers etc that could easily be substitued for something a bit more heathly and nutrient rich.

Don't discount Oats as a breakfast food, they are really good for you and a great bulking food (Great when that face aching cold of a Canberra winter hits too)

Boca burgers are basically veggie burgers, so you can just use an Aussie Version of those, Pappa Nutal, Eatwell etc...

Eatwell do a Vegan Salami too, although I haven't seen it in many shops. Redwood do sliced "Meats" which are now available in Australia at more and more places.

Clif Bars are Protein bars that contain 20 grams of protein and happen to be vegan.

They are seriously addictive, they taste like chocolate bars....

BUT - you can't get them in Australia (You can order them from the USA online, but it gets a little expensive with postage etc)

You can't buy any Protein bars in Australia that are vegan, so you will have to stick to your shakes or make up your own (There are recipies if you search on google)

Thanks heaps!!

I wasn't going to have the soda or crackers, just use it as a rough guideline.

Thanks for you help.

I am playing a show in sydney tomorrow night, are there any good places to eat around newtown?

I know that Ichu (spelling?) is amazing on glebe point road and I like Green Palace Thai a fair bit aswell. My friend works at Organic Produce on Crown street so I will probably go there tomorrow for lunch.

There are heaps of good places around Newtown...

Green Palace Thai in Newtown and Iku on Glebe Point Road.as you said...

Bogarts Pizza on Glebe Point Road does vegan pizza

Green Gourmet on King St in Newtown - Vegan's Choice Grocery is next door, so you can stock up on Asian Vegan Ingredients (The sauces are great - black bean, mushroom soy, laksa paste etc)

African Express on King street has quite a few vegan dishes.

Macro on King St has vegan food and cakes.

Emmas on Liberty St in Enmore has heaps of Vegan Lebanese food that is awesomely good, The baba ganoush is the best I have had anywhere.

If you need the gym, then Newtown gym's causal rates aren't too bad

(I'm one of those people who goes to the gym when they go away for the weekend)...

I think it will be very hard to keep a diet in which you have to eat every two hours unless you have a LOT of spare time.

I think eating every three hours would be a lot easier, but that's just an opinion. What I would leave out of your diet:

- Waffles, not health food at all.

- Maple syrup, too much sugar.

- Sandwiches unless they're full grain.

- Crackers (who even wants to eat crackers every day )

- Toasts unless they're full grain.

You also take a huge amount of energy from protein drinks, I would prefer eating more real food. Chick peas, black eyed peas, kidney beans, white beans, more lentils... with a lot of vegetables and rapeseed oil. If you need more calories after all that, keep eating nuts and seeds anywhere you are between meals. You can get 1000 calories per day more easily by doing that.

I also seriously doubt that you can really eat 2 boca burgers, a LOT of bread and 2 tofu hotdogs at the same meal. That also sounds like expensive but I'm not aware of your financial position so I don't say more about that.

Remember that your body weight can vary about 3 kg whether you weight yourself in the morning with empty stomach and in the evening after eating a lot. Anyway, you seem to be very dedicated and I believe you'll have great gains in no time. Please think about what I wrote and if there are things that suit your diet let us know whether they work or not if you use them.

At least I know what works for me, it doesn't work for all but I am eager to know if other people can gain with something I have made.

I think it will be very hard to keep a diet in which you have to eat every two hours unless you have a LOT of spare time.

I think eating every three hours would be a lot easier, but that's just an opinion. What I would leave out of your diet:

- Waffles, not health food at all.

- Maple syrup, too much sugar.

- Sandwiches unless they're full grain.

- Crackers (who even wants to eat crackers every day )

- Toasts unless they're full grain.

You also take a huge amount of energy from protein drinks, I would prefer eating more real food. Chick peas, black eyed peas, kidney beans, white beans, more lentils... with a lot of vegetables and rapeseed oil. If you need more calories after all that, keep eating nuts and seeds anywhere you are between meals. You can get 1000 calories per day more easily by doing that.

I also seriously doubt that you can really eat 2 boca burgers, a LOT of bread and 2 tofu hotdogs at the same meal. That also sounds like expensive but I'm not aware of your financial position so I don't say more about that.

Remember that your body weight can vary about 3 kg whether you weight yourself in the morning with empty stomach and in the evening after eating a lot. Anyway, you seem to be very dedicated and I believe you'll have great gains in no time. Please think about what I wrote and if there are things that suit your diet let us know whether they work or not if you use them.

At least I know what works for me, it doesn't work for all but I am eager to know if other people can gain with something I have made.

Yeah I dont think I will be able to eat anywhere near that amount of food a day. So I am just trying to eat the things that are most nutritious out of every meal.

I have been eating nuts and lentils at every oportunity between meals.

Thanks heaps for the suggestions.

Wow, that's a lot of food.

Just a note, though. Some of your meals have well over 50g of protein in them. From what I've read, the average human can only absorb 50g of protein in one sitting. I guess the rest turns to fat? I'd recommend cutting a little out of those meals. It's enough food to get big, even without those extra grams of protein.

Any thoughts?

Wow, that's a lot of food.

From what I've read, the average human can only absorb 50g of protein in one sitting.

I think it's true, same thing if you drink 1 gallon of water at the same time (you're gonna piss what the body don't need) or eat 2000 calories at the same time (some will become bodyfat), that's why we must do eat and drink at different times of day. As for extra proteins, they don't necesserly become fat, if your body don't need them it won't waste energy breaking them into amino chains and they will go through your body. I've read some people shit undigested proteins, but there may be other factors than "too much proteins", it could be also ineffective digestion due to a lack of enzymes or bad food combinations.

i don't think 50 grams in one meal is too much. my meals contain about the same amount.

the whole "absorbation" debate is not really relevant since protein has other functions in the body. as veganjosh recently mentioned in another thread it's really crucial to keep a positive nitrogen balance in the body if you wanna see muscle growth. this is something that protein intake does.

• 1 month later...

I have a question:

I recently changed to a raw diet. Not 100% raw, but maybe 75-85% raw. It was mostly unintentional, I just ate what made me feel good.

ANWAYS

I wanna build muscle, and I have a hard time doing this on a regular diet, and now that I'm raw, what should I be doing? Here's my diet so far:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with almonds and sunflower seeds

Lunch: Larabar, salad with sunflower seeds and almonds

Snacks: Banana, apple, raw almonds, baby carrots throughout the day

Dinner: raw Hemp protein shake (includes berries, kale, avacado) and a piece of toast with cashew butter on it.

Obviously, my calorie intake is way low, but I eat this way because it works best for my digestive system, and my busy job. I work 8 hour shifts typically, with a half hour break in between. It's easy to keep a baggie of almonds in my pocket to munch on if I get hungry.. so my diet evolved to be raw.

I work 10 hours with varying times for breaks and lunch. I work in an operating room and can go a full 3 hours with no hint of getting out of there. The only thing I can bring with me is whatever fits in my pocket. In order to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, I do the following:

ALWAYS have nuts or a Clif Builder bar with me. I can eat this walking through the halls between patients or during a break.

Bring a lot of food to work and get used to eating things cold. I may only have 3 minutes once I get to the refrigerator in the break room so I rarely heat up anything these days.

If I don't have access to a refrigerator then I bring something that can slowly warm to room temperature over the course of the day and put it in an insulated bag.

Most of us can eat every 2-3 hours if we get creative, depending on our jobs. This won't work for a surgeon, of course, but the rest of us can usually take a quick break during our work hours.