A question about Sports Or Community Grants or Funding

phillipeb

So it turns out that i cant keep my big mouth shut and offered my services to the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective as a grant writer. That being said i have only really done grant writing for Health Organizations in regards to Aids funding.

two questions:

1. I was wondering if anyone here has done any ecological or sports oriented grant writing.

2. Does anyone know of any bike organizations that offer grants or companies that give back to communities?

Thank ya'll

I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but your local library might allow you to use their online subscription to the Foundation Directory. The directory is convenient because you can just type in keywords such as "ecological" and "sports" and it will give a list of relavent foundations and potential donors.

You might also try your local phone book. If you have a store in the area that is part of a chain, they might have a person there who is in charge of disseminating donations for various local causes.

I'll keep thinking of ideas and will let you know if I come up with anything that might help. I'm always trying to find funding for the non-profit I work for, so I'll be really interested in how things go for you.

Best of luck to ya!!

Mike

I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but your local library might allow you to use their online subscription to the Foundation Directory. The directory is convenient because you can just type in keywords such as "ecological" and "sports" and it will give a list of relavent foundations and potential donors.

You might also try your local phone book. If you have a store in the area that is part of a chain, they might have a person there who is in charge of disseminating donations for various local causes.

I'll keep thinking of ideas and will let you know if I come up with anything that might help. I'm always trying to find funding for the non-profit I work for, so I'll be really interested in how things go for you.

Best of luck to ya!!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have a login for the Foundations website, as well as a list of local and nation retailors and parent companies who supplied them. What if you do not mind me asking is the non profit you work for?

I am always happy to meet another in my line of work.

Wow! I should be asking you for advice . You are prepared. Is that list of retailers specific to your cause/area? I would love to find/compile a list like that for mine.

I work for an org called Adult Care Services. We offer day services, residential services, transportation, etc. to people who are elderly and/or have Alzheimer's, dementia and other cognitive/physical difficulties. It's a cool place to work. As much as I LOVE kids and animals, it seems that (at least in this area) everybody focuses on helping them exclusively and forgets about the elderly or other people who need help. I'm working as a marketing assistant now, but my goal is to eventually work in fund development.

It seems that with your grant writing experience, you could be on your way to a fund development career as well. Is that what you're into?

Mike

Wow! I should be asking you for advice . You are prepared. Is that list of retailers specific to your cause/area? I would love to find/compile a list like that for mine.

I work for an org called Adult Care Services. We offer day services, residential services, transportation, etc. to people who are elderly and/or have Alzheimer's, dementia and other cognitive/physical difficulties. It's a cool place to work. As much as I LOVE kids and animals, it seems that (at least in this area) everybody focuses on helping them exclusively and forgets about the elderly or other people who need help. I'm working as a marketing assistant now, but my goal is to eventually work in fund development.

It seems that with your grant writing experience, you could be on your way to a fund development career as well. Is that what you're into?

Mike

That is very cool. I did home hospice care for a bit and enjoyed the experience. It must be tough to find that kind of assistanceship for your target clientel. The good thing is due to the baby boomer retirement phenomenon there is increased awareness of needs for geriatric care and help.

I have minimal experience in the field but i just have been around a lot of people who have great experience and picked up a few tricks. I am actually studying computer science so i doubt that no profit work will be my career aspiration but you never know what life throws at you. I just like to help in anyway that i can while still stretching myself to achieve something i have not achieved before.

I'm a board member for Organic Athlete and we've got a very talented writer on staff. Unfortunately we haven't had luck getting any private grants as a vegan organization. I'm thinking the same for your organization. You've gotta go for govt. grants more than anything and hope for some wealthy guy to notice you and give a big donation.

I'm a board member for Organic Athlete and we've got a very talented writer on staff. Unfortunately we haven't had luck getting any private grants as a vegan organization. I'm thinking the same for your organization. You've gotta go for govt. grants more than anything and hope for some wealthy guy to notice you and give a big donation.

I trained to be a grant writer and it really is about finding exactly what you need instead of adapting to what you can get. There are a few vegan organizations here in utah that get private and state funding, but there main concern is nutritious meals for youth. Because of the obesity epidemic this is a hot button issue and funding is readily available. The same thing can be said about alternative transportation or green transportation, which the collective aspires too.

I appreciate your kind words, and i wish the same for you.